1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If nothing else, these Playoffs are showing us...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, May 7, 2024.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

They can shoot this year. The team percentage just got dragged down by Jalen Green but individually we have decent shooters. FVV, Holiday, Whitmore, Brooks, Smith Jr they all shot 34% or higher from 3.

Rockets also aren't short. They are averaged sized and actually become tall sized if Amen is playing PG.

If the Rockets were short and couldn't shoot they would have same record as the Spurs instead of 0.500 despite losing Sengun and Tari Eason. let's stop all the false narratives.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

So, you're saying because the Spurs were short there record was poor, which feeds into my narrative that size does natter.

The only teams I know of who won a Championship with a smaller team were the Warriors, who actually had KD on the wing, with Steph and Klay, so were they really small? And the Pistons, with Isaiah and Dumars, which was a small back court but they had a brusing front court

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

is denver big or small? Because they won the title last season and are your example of a team that's too small this season with the exact same lineup

roslolian likes this.
  4. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Rockets are bad at shooting. They are ranked 27th in field goal percentage. Ranked 23rd in 3p%. Ranked 23rd in 2p%. That’s bad. Really bad. They shoot poorly from close and far. They just can’t shoot.

You can’t say the Rockets are decent shooters if you subtract all the bad shooters. The bad shooters DO PLAY. If you subtract all the bad shooters, you have almost no players left to play. The Rockets have no good shooters. They have a few players that are almost average. That won’t cut it.

5. Strawberry Gum

Fred Vanvleet is a great shooter. But I agree that we don't have anyone else even close to him in that regard. Hopefully Cam, Jabari and Jalen will improve.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Been saying for years.

We need a "Dude"

We don't have one.

Funny story, my son played elite level soccer and we always finished in the top 3 or 4 of each league, they had great players on the roster, all of them got college offers.

My son's U19 year - last year we got a "Dude" and I mean this guy was a goal scoring freak - and we won everything that year, the top league in the country we went undefeated, we went all the way to nationals before we lost to FC Dallas - in the Quarterfinals - should have won but we pressed on the 4th day and 4th game, and that wasn't smart....should have laid back, absorbed and countered with our Dude and his speedy buddies....but the point was....once you have a DUDE, everyone else falls in line and the team rises beyond expectations.

We need a dude.

DD

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Look, I love Fred. He played a huge role in our improvement this year. But, Fred is not a “great shooter”. Fred shot .416 for the season. That is not great in any way. Fred is not a bad three point shooter, but he is a bad two point shooter. It all adds up. Fred is a perfectly fine point guard, but we need a least a few players that can really shoot. All the good teams have at least a couple of sharp shooters.

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Simple just get a big guy who can score and pass in the 2nd round. So simple

harold bingo and astrosrule like this.
  9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Denver is a big team, its just so happen that Minnesota is bigger/longer. Im not saying size is everything but if all is equal; shooting, coaching, etc. then nornally the team with the most length wins.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Udoka is just too stubborn to use Boban.

harold bingo likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Great point! I don't think we have that DUDE either. I've seen Sengun and Jalen play well in spurts but not dominant over an extended period or time

However, I think players can develop. Im looking at Jalen Brunson now and I mean, who would have thought he would have develop to this extent? He is a top 5 - 10 player in the league now.

But if we can't obtain that DUDE, I think we can build a roster similar to what the Pistons did with Billups, Wallace and others during that era. A team full of very good players but no one great player.

Stephen_A likes this.
  12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Jalen Brunson is irrelevant, he is not a dude. If he is your best player you are going absolutely nowhere

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You don't think Brunson has made himself into a premium player? Hmmm

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I do...he is clearly a dude....

DD

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i guess it depends on your definition. If he's your best player, your team has 0% title equity which is ultimately all i care about

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

There's only one clear definition.....Brunson is a DUDE! Everybody knows CP3 was one of the best PGs ever and he's never been to a Championship. So, I don't think that constitutes the definition of being a Dude.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

cp3 was LIGHT YEARS better then brunson, what does one have to do with another?

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who are the bad shooters besides Jalen Green? Alperen Sengun and Amen? You think Sengun and Amen won't cut it? Do you mean Jeff Green? He's just gonna be backup to the backup next year. Who else? Why don't you name names so you know the stats are a bunch of crap? Rox on the whole are an average shooting team. Combined with an elite defense that's pretty similar to the Rox during Harden era, and that team got 1st seed.

I already told you a team that is short and can't shoot won't be 0.500 in the very competitive West. There are only 30 teams in the league if the Rox are indeed 27th shooting then they wouldn't be in 11th place in the West. They would be among the worst record alongside Spurs, Detroit and Washington.

Sometimes you need to look at the big picture before you use stats to make a judgement.

#98 roslolian, May 8, 2024
    Last edited: May 8, 2024
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You know, you are ABSOLUTELY right! Brunson is not a premium player.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

you really think he can be the best player on a title contender? i absolutely do not