1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Espada

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Mr.Scarface, Mar 10, 2024.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Two f-ing hits.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It was a mistake to fire dusty

Rvo384, AKVerse47 and Fulgore like this.
  3. Willy92683

Willy92683 Member

Dusty didn't get fired, he retired.

4. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

actually I believe he/the org realized this was no longer a "mail-it-in" opportunity for him...

(and he was run out of town/org... dont claim he "retired" when the dude is a "consultant" for the Giants org)

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Espada needs to go. I'm sick of him already. Will he still put Bregman as the #4 hitter tomorrow now that he's batting .195? Why on earth is he still putting the worst batter on the team at #4 in the lineup? :eek:

6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I agree... they should make Bagwell the manager.

:)

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

No bring in Ausmus!

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Espada is just not cutting it, he was a bench coach for a reason, I liked the hire at the time but its clearly not working...............and you sit Dubon who has a strong bat with RISP because you have a long stretch of games coming up, the kid just had a day off ...........we need to be in playoff mode and do everything we can to win NOW, not next week. Not a fan of Brown either, not sure if thats his doing or he is just a puppet for Crane but I wish they would both go......................man this is hard to watch

deb4rockets and GOATuve like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m not usually one to react to small samples, and what a Manager can reasonably affect is hard to determine, but at some point the manager has to be held accountable for the performance of his players and the team’s win/loss record, especially relative to their consensus projections. If this team doesn’t improve by the trade deadline and stays on track for <85 wins, Espada should probably be let go.

ROCKSS and Rvo384 like this.
  10. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Salvy likes this.
  11. toby

toby Member

Trade Abreu and cash back to the ChiSox for Maldy. Problem solved.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Unless a top 5 in all of baseball type coach is available, I don't think ditching Espada is going to affect the win/loss column much.
    But the FO may do it anyway just to make a point.

13. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Let's say Espada is let go.
    Who would be the ideal candidate for the position??
    Just interested to know the mindset of those on here that are more plugged in than myself on such things.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Based on this BBS, the ideal candidate is the one who wins... basic as that.

Kemahkeith likes this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Promoting Omar López or hiring Buck Showalter or bringing back Dusty Baker would be the main options if a move were made midseason. Mark DeRosa would be a dark horse. Otherwise after the season, this list is probably a good place to start:https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-2024-manager-candidates

There isn’t an obvious candidate imho. It’s always a risk.

Kemahkeith likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't think anyone from outside the organization is workable.

If they make a change they do it as a hail Mary to save the season. They don't have time for someone to come in a learn the organization and talent at the cost of wins or just time.

Omar Lopez is the obvious choice but he is very likely to be just Espada 2.0 - long time coach w/ limited management experience who watched and experienced the same things.

Mickey Storey could be an option. No MLB managerial experience but plenty of MiLB experience and knows the players.

Then there are your out of the box options: Geoff Blum, Jeff Bagwell/Enos Cabell/Craig Biggio, hell maybe Julia Morales would even be better than Espada has been.

Rvo384 and Radricky like this.
  17. PhiSlammaJamma

Liked Baker. But let's get real. When names like Blanco, Singleton, and Carantini are the highlights of the season. You are going to suck. And no manager could have altered the result. I don't blame the manager. This team just fell on its' face like no other. Give 'em two seasons to turn it back and then blow it up. But good chance they still right the ship under Espada.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with you that the majority of the problems this year are not on Espada.

That said (and I actually defended him early) he has made some bad calls.

Something must change or the season is over.

What realistically can he changed?

ROCKSS likes this.
  19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They may very well fire Espada - Crane has never had to navigate a bad (normal) regular season. But I'm not sure a new manager fixes this team. Bregman has been atrocious; Abreu worse than that. McCormick has regressed. Alvarez seems... off. And Abreu, Pressly and, to a lesser extent, Hader (his peripherals are fairly OK - I assume he'll eventually be alright) have been awful, with Abreu and Pressly nearing not being viable options.

I don't see how a new manager fixes those issues.

20. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

It’s one thing to seem off. It’s a whole other thing for multiple guys not giving any effort. They don’t believe in Joe.