1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Hypothetical Astros Trades Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 23, 2024.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If he were mid 30s, absolutely, but he isn’t

And I’m sure Brown is getting calls of that nature, especially since he has very little trade history as a GM so might as well see

But if someone were to legitimately try to pry him away 5 weeks into the season, the cost would not be significantly different.

If a front office made deals based on 20% of one season they wouldn’t keep their jobs very long

Now, if we are close to the deadline and his OPS is under 700 then yea, it would be a drastically lower return. But not on May 8

raining threes and astros123 like this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Spot on comparison -- I hope it's not the case... but suspect it is.

raining threes likes this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I bet GMs are calling Brown hoping to steal Bregman right now because his value is down.

astros123 and ROCKSS like this.
  4. astros123

astros123 Member

Bregman isn't accepting a QO. Someone will throw him money

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree

astros123 likes this.
  6. The Beard

Astros get

Taylor Ward, OF/1B
    Cole Fontenelle, 3B

Angels get

Jake Meyers
    Michael Knorr
    Andrew Taylor

Ward could provide an immediate spark to our lineup and can mix in corner OF or more importantly at 1B if/when Jon goes back to being who he has always been

Angels have no long term CF so they could actually take a look at Jake in an every day role, and the pitching in their system is really bad so a couple of arms with a good chance at being at least mlb worthy could tempt them

7. astros123

astros123 Member

If we don't get better by end of month we need to make some trades

raining threes likes this.
  8. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

So you are saying the potential return goes down as the season goes on so we should trade him now?

astros123 likes this.
  9. The Beard

No, because as horrible as it all looks, we are way too talented to sell this early

But even more importantly, the potential return only goes down if he keeps sucking. It’s very likely he gets out of this and gets on a roll

I know very few around here want to hear that but

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros get:
    P Trevor Rogers
    3B Jake Burger

Marlins get:
    OF Colin Barber
    P Miguel Ullola
    P Blair Henley
    OF Corey Julks

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros get:
    3B Nolan Arenado

Cardinals get:
    P Hunter Brown
    3B Zach Dezenzo
    1B Jose Abreu
    P Forrest Whitley

Bregman could shift to playing 3B, 2B, LF, and DH while they play out the season. Arenado is under control thru 2027, he is making $35M this year and has $74M owed after this season. Taking back Abreu gives them surplus value to demand a meaningful return.

12. The Beard

Oh hell no to this one

Aranado is a usable player, but he is no longer anywhere near the value to match his contract. And it’s very possible he falls off the same cliff Abreu did in the near future

Abreu is awful but is owed what, 18 million after this year? No way I would risk extending that kind of money for 3 more years

13. The Beard

I like Burger and if Miami would do this I’d be all over it. I don’t think there is much chance they would though

And Julks has zero trade value unless Dusty has influence in SF, we placed him on waivers yesterday

raining threes and astros123 like this.
  14. Radricky

Radricky Member

What happens when Chaz gets back?
    They’re about to have a crowded outfield.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My guess is Cabbage goes back to Sugar Land l.

They go back to the:

Chas/ Yordan/ Loperfido / Dubon rotation in LF

Jake/ Loperfido/ Dubon/ Chas rotation in CF

What I would like to see is either Chas or Meyers traded (if they can get a piece or 2 they feel will be a net positive 2025-2030) and bring up Leon

The Beard and Radricky like this.
  16. raining threes

Whoever this years Montgomery is that's on the market is who they should be looking to trade for and they shouldn't wait until the deadline to do the deal.

I would give up Melton and more to offload half of Abreu 's salary.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Tucker, Meyers, McCormick as the everyday guys. Pena, Altuve, and Bregman get more rest days with Dubon playing there. Loperfido backing up all 3 OF spots and 1B. Cabbage gets sent down. Kessinger continues to not play. Caratini plays backup C and Diaz rests on those days instead of playing DH.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I keep seeing that he is available anll over the net. I don’t think they are reputable sites. Probably speculation, but you never know.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think we hold steady until the end of June. See how things look and if Garcia/LMJ are coming back to solidify the rotation. I hope this team is the 2004/2005 guys that dug out of a hole, but it feels like 2000 for me.

20. The Beard

I agree with this completely. Cabbage barely plays so he will be the one going out

My preference would be for Meyers to be traded, Chas has had a terrible start to the year but I still like his upside a lot more

Problem with a Chas/Meyers/Dubon grouping, is all of them mash LHP and struggle vs RHP

Last year Chas OPS vs LHP was 1009 and 769 vs RHP (which is not terrible), in 22 he was 972/645

Dubon was 859 vs LHP and 678 vs R, in 22 when Dubon was our whipping boy around here, his OPS vs LHP was 765 (455 vs RHP)

Meyers has a 958 so far this year vs LHP (tiny sample size so number would change drastically with one game) but last year he was 785 vs L and 646 vs R

Dubon's versatility has big value for our roster so he ain't going anywhere, but having all three of them on our roster when probably 80% of MLB starters are RH isn't ideal. Even if we moved Chas or Meyers for an equitable OF but one that hit RHP well and struggled vs LHP, we would be better off for it