1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Im not giving them any of the core 6, maybe Green closer to deadline.

#9,Brooks (maybe to third team), Rockets 2027 First, and their 2026 pick (we put top 4 protection on) is fair.

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. mightybosstone

That's too rich for my blood. Personally, I'm out on the whole Bridges idea after this season. There's just so much potential on this team that to deal any of their assets for a guy who is at best a No. 3 feels like an unnecessary move. We don't even know if this roster has a true No. 1 or 2 yet, and we have so many guys who might be at that level, so why deal any of those players for someone with such a limited ceiling who may just stifle that development now? I don't want to win 48 games every year and be a perennial 6-7 seed. I want to be a legitimate championship contender again.

A year from now, I might feel differently. I'd like to think that by next summer we'll have a better idea of who the future stars are going to be. Plus, you can save yourself a ton of cap room with Fred coming off the books or reworking his contract. Then you can maybe swing for the fences on a big name at a position or area of need. But right now, I'm not entertaining any deals for one of those six core youngsters and the Brooklyn picks unless there was a player too good to refuse. Bridges is definitely not that guy.

3. Ish

Ish Member

You guys want bridges for a year? Rental?

Everyone knows he wants to be on the Villanova Knicks

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm out on Bridges.

I don't see any sense in spending premium assets to pick up a guy who may be the 3rd best player on a real contender when we don't know if we have a #1 or #2 ... We may have a roster full of #3 guys already.

If you want to blow assets, do it on a #1.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Houston Expendables.

[​IMG]

roslolian likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah that's a ripoff if you want Bridges so much just get him in Free agency he is a free agent in 2 yrs.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why would you trade for Bridges if you can just pay for Bridges? What's gonna happen in the next 2 yrs that you need Bridges so bad when you can sign him in free agency in 2 yrs and not pay anything?

Is Bridges so good you give up multiple lotto picks for every year he is on the team? Lol.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Remember when Morey traded a kings ransom for cP3 when they were planning to sign him to the max anyway? How did that work out?

Bridges will be an unrestricted free agent in 2 yrs if we want him on the team just sign him to the highest amount then. If we trade for him now and then he leaves cuz we don't want to overpay for him we just played ourselves.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I understand the vantage point this is coming from but to be fair, we were already sitting atop the WC standings as contenders needing another piece or two to make it out of the WCF and to the Finals.

CP3 was a good move, it should have worked but injuries and egos got in the way of what could have been.

dmoneybangbang and cbass like this.
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

How did signing Chris Bosh to max money work out? There are no guarantees with FAs. It is impossible to say if CP3 would have signed without a trade. It is far, far easier for a team to retain a player than acquire one via FA.

dmoneybangbang and xaos like this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

With the emergence of Amen to play point forward at least for a year, the only thing Bridges does for you is provide a replacement for Jalen Green if he fails. I don’t want to trade for anyone that puts Amen on the bench. He had the most positive impact of any player on the team when elevated to 30 mins a game. I would still give up the #9 and Brooks in a heartbeat for hm and then shop Jalen. The only other way is to ship out FVV either to a third team or Brooklyn and let Amen move to PG. Amen, Jalen, Bridges, Jabari, Sengun with Brooks, Cam, Tari, and Adams puts you in position to make the playoffs and to further evaluate your core. Under this scenario you have lots of options if Jalen doesn’t pan out.

To Lakers:
    FVV
    To Nets:
    Vincent
    Russel
    Hachimuro
    24 Nets FRP
    24 Nets 2nd rounder via Houston
    24 GS 2nd rounder via Houston
    25 Lakers FRP
    More 2nd rounders from LA
    To Rockets:
    Bridges

#731 Hemingway, May 8, 2024
    Last edited: May 8, 2024
    theDude likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm out on the rumored price or close to it for Bridges. I'm generally for acquiring good players that appear to fit with current players at reasonable prices. If the Nets become reasonable, the Rockets should try to acquire him. If what the Nets are spouting to the media is what they actually will accept, the Rockets should not try to trade for him at those prices.

I'd see the Rockets being a No. 1 away from being a contender if they got Bridges at a reasonable deal.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd see the purpose of getting Bridges would be to announce to the 1A stars of the league, "come play with FVV, Amen, Bridges, Tari, Jabari, Brooks, and Sengun. We'll have Amen, Bridges, Tari, and Jabari handle the tougher defensive assignments so you can devote more energy to offense." Trading FVV only works if the 1A star is a PG.

I kind of see this offseason in a swing state. If the Rockets think they can improve a lot quickly, they will keep FVV. If not, I'd see the Rockets looking at dealing FVV. Maybe that happens at the deadline. Acquiring Bridges would fall into the Rockets think they can improve quickly category.

Easy and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We got a number 3 guy that can go for 15 assists, or drop 45 on many people’s DPOY. :D

Easy and theDude like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

"Potential" can be a dangerous, fleeting thing in sports.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we deal Green, Sengun, Tari, or Amen for Bridges as that wouldn't be prudent.

16. dmoneybangbang

Because this team wants to compete now in a very crowded West now and not just fall in love with all the "potential" because we are too petrified to make a move.

17. dmoneybangbang

This. It doesn't cost anything to talk and ask about the price.

Feels like there's some posters who are falling too in love with our current prospects, many of which we won't be able to keep. Aside from the cost, I think the biggest reason to not go for Bridges is because it would cost us assets that could be used for a true star/superstar.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm not an advocate for trading for Bridges, but the CP3 scenario was different. CP3 could have opted out and become a free agent that summer, but we would have had to gut the team to clear cap space to sign him anyway. We would have lost a lot of depth either way. Notice that when we already had the cap space available, like in the Dwight Howard pursuit, we didn't bother with a sign and trade with the Lakers. We just signed him outright.

If someone really wants Bridges (I don't), then they won't want to wait two more seasons to sign him as a free agent. They want him to contribute to the team now, not wait until he's 30 to join the team.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Uh we did end up gutting the team to trade for cP3. We lost like 3-4 rotation players plus all the picks and swaps. All those pieces we lost could have gotten us assets instead, like if the Rox dump Patrick Bev, Montrezl Harrell, Sam Dekker and Lou Will to make room for Cp3 I'm sure some team will give 2nds and low frps to take them. It's not about the depth, it's about getting assets instead of losing assets. We traded for Cp3 for a season rental which tbh is dumb AF because as an upcoming free agent we could have signed him for "free" like what you said. Because of the Cp3 trade Morey traded all those assets for 1 yr of Cp3 essentially which is what set this team back so much they had nothing to work with afterwards. If we had gotten 2nds and picks instead of losing 2 picks and a swap Morey could have gotten more help for Cp3 and Harden rather than washed Ariza and PJ Tucker.

Getting 30 yr old Bridges "for free" us a lot better than getting 28 yr old Bridges but losing multiple assets to get him now. If we were the Lakers I can see the urgency in getting Bridges but trading multiple assets for 2 yrs of Bridges is just dumb. He's not gonna make the team a champion and at age 22 Sengun isn't gonna fall off in 2 yrs so I'd not see what is the rush.

20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i dont think the rockets traded a bunch of picks or swaps for cp3, i think it was just one late first rounder and filler

edit - it was a top 3 protected 2018 pick