1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. xaos

xaos Member

I think it was either @Landry's Tooth or @fattz trying to make the argument that having Bridges over Edwards would be a smart move using their excel spreadsheets is always hilarious to me

OremLK likes this.
  2. Landry's Tooth

I stand by it. I don't pick and choose high points to make an argument. Edwards flames out the rest of the series and goes home you're coming on here and saying you were wrong, correct?

Bridges has been to the finals, Edwards not.

But please go on ignoring half of the game of basketball...

fattz likes this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i'd take edwards on defense over bridges anyday, we've seen what bridges can do as the main guy, which is absolutely nothing. Not sure what being a role player on a finals team has to do with anything. It's ok to be wrong, don't be like dd about kpj

roslolian, Dobbizzle, OremLK and 4 others like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

If Edwards flames out this series I am still taking Edwards going forward over Bridges and it's not a hard choice. Edwards can be the best player on a championship team while Bridges peak is 3rd best and if he's asked to be 1st best that is a 10th seed in the East.

Williamson likes this.
  5. Landry's Tooth

I really don't care ultimately. Think what you think. I prefer a complete player.

Edwards didn't do anything until Gobert got there...

It's like I'm listening to people praise Donovan Mitchell over Paul George...

6. xaos

xaos Member

You mean when he wasn't even drinking age yet? Edwards has already been to the playoffs 3 times while Mikal was entering the draft at that age. I like Mikal but it's just hilarious.

Edwards will also have a better career than Paul George and Donovan.

roslolian likes this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

I don't care.

I still prefer the better all round player.

There are lots of guys who take a lot of shots and score a lot of points.

Far fewer all world wing defenders who can also shoot.

Career high 57.5 ts% for edwards at 22.

Darius Garland is virtually identical in results at 1 year older in WS and ts% for career in virtually the same number of games.

Good player, not going to call him top guy on a championship team. He just advanced for the first time in the playoffs, don't pretend he's playoff Jimmy...

The end.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bridges wasn't the reason they made the finals so what does that have anything to do with it?

That's like saying Adam Morrison has 2 rings and Barkley has none. Totally brain dead argument. This must be the same reason why Nets made Bridges untouchable and want to build around him lolz.

cbass and xaos like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

The Rockets should definitely revisit trading for Bridges, but he's not someone you sell the farm for. Potentially:

Green
    Thompson
    Bridges
    Jabari
    Sengun

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bridges only has 2 yrs left on his deal and will want Jrue Holiday or more money. These kinds of moves are extremely shortsighted and have us losing assets for essentially nothing.

Look at the Cavs they about to lose Mitchell this summer. If they kept Sexton and Markannen and all their picks hard to believe they get drastically different results than what they have now.

Pringles likes this.
  11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Well, then just pay Bridges. Not that hard. Not sure if I’d totally be on board, but if we did trade for Bridges, it’d be pretty easy to extend him and keep 3 or so of our prospects. We might even be able to keep that core for the long haul.

#711 Houston77, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
  12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

What would you define as "not selling" the farm? Would you do something like Brooks, Eason or Whitmore, Brooklyn's 2024 and 2025 swap for Bridges? Less? More?

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I would not trade any unknown nets pick for him, because their future picks all have potential top 3 upside, since we know they will be bad. I would give them this years nets pick, mainly to weaken their roster for the future.

theDude likes this.
  14. gqgeo

gqgeo Member

Until then take him off the front page of this website....

15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let’s say we extend Sengun at 5/225 and Jalen at 5/180. These numbers kick in on the ‘25-‘26 season. If we’ve still got FVV on his third year, the team looks like this:

FVV- $45m
    JG- $32m
    DB- $21m
    Jabari- $12m
    Alpi- $46m

That’s $156m before you include players that fill out the roster like Amen, Tari, Cam, Jock, etc. You can try to re-sign Fred at a lower price the next year, but Jabari will get his bump then, too. If Amen is a keeper, he gets maxed the year Brooks comes off the books. Tari and Cam will also be up for significant raises.

We can’t keep them all if they reach their ceiling. And we could hold onto some that bust out and we get nothing for them. If you can consolidate for a difference-maker, do it. But those BKN pick will be valuable to us when some of our current guys price themselves off our roster.

astrosrule likes this.
  16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He's not a difference maker, nor is he particularly close to one. He's also not worth risking potentially giving up a top 3 pick for. It's MUCH better for the rockets if he is traded elsewhere because it increases our pick value. I would rather keep collecting young guys even though some will bust out, of course, unless a true difference maker is available.

xaos and theDude like this.
  17. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

Offer LA picks and Jalen for AD.

18. dmoneybangbang

Jrue holiday is 33 and Bridges is 27, so the former is eligible for a higher contract based on age.

I think it's extremely shortsighted not to consider this as there's still a lot of uncertainty regarding the current roster. Waiting for the perfect player to come by with the appropriate contract length seems shortsighted as well.

Mitchell has been wanting a big market team so I don't find the situations too similar.

19. dmoneybangbang

I think that's the general framework.... I wouldn't go more than that as I like Bridges but I think he's proven himself to be a 3rd best player on a contender level team.

I would certainly wait until the 2024 draft order is set before putting a package together.

#719 dmoneybangbang, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
    Houston77 likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

The Nets don't want to be bad though and have their own package they can put together from the Durant trade. Pretty sure the 2023-2024 season surprised their organization as they were hoping for something closer to play in.