1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Jalen Green for Franz Wagner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 6, 2024.

?

Jalen Green for Franz Wagner?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I would like an example of a similar streak to Jalens. Only one i can think of Linsanity. Any other similar streak like his I can think of was performed by a to be star.

Please, since there is a MILLION, you should be able to come up with 5? maybe just 3? I would genuinely love to see the evidence.

cbass and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A random player having an 8 game hot streak isn't noteworthy enough for anyone outside of the most locked in fans of the team to even hear about in most instances. They aren't rare or special.

Do we really think anyone else knows who the **** Gary Bird is?

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree that his play in March is his approximate ceiling if he puts it all together (although I would knock a few percentage points off the 3P%, he will never be a consistent 42% three point shooter). I just don't think that's quite a top 10 player, I think it's somewhere in the 11-15 range. We're kind of splitting hairs at that point though. He'll be a great player either way if he can play like that consistently.... if.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You just named Linsanity, but there have been hot streaks forever, even Jalen has had them, so has KPJ - they are generally great, Rafer Alston had some, Corey Brewer scored 50 - KPJ scored 50 - sometimes players get hot, but it is consistency that is lacking - that is where the Ant Edwards type of players are different - they do it MOST every night....Jalen is a dow jones player up and down up and down....he isn't consistent, and he has been a pro for 4 years....3 as a Rocket and he still has the same flaws as day 1.....

I know people like him - but I want to move on.

DD

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Linsanity was short lived. Lin was never able to replicate that. Jalen on the other hand did it in all of his first three seasons. And Lin didn't have the physical tools Jalen has. Props to Lin for working hard to have a decent career in the NBA.

6. DaDakota

It was actually about as long as Jalen's was.....tbh......Linsanity was 1 year, but that is an example of players getting hot, and not sustaining the level of play.

Jalen has done that for 3 years running, starting off slow, then getting hot for a month.

DD

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He had a similar streak in his second year and even in his rookie year, the difference is he looks stronger, rebounds, passes and plays some semblance of Defense.

But it remained a streak.

The proof is in the pudding, I meant, you can compare this streak to his past streaks.

8. jogo

jogo Member

George McCloud's 5 3-Point Streak in 1996
    1 OF 10

1. All of the other names on this list are, or will be, Hall of Famers. No one ever accused George McCloud of being a Hall of Famer, but that didn't stop him playing like one for a couple of weeks.

In a stretch from February 25 to March 5, 1996, McCloud is the only player to sink five or more three-pointers in six consecutive games. In the span he averaged 26.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, 3.5 steals, 3.0 assists and one block.

Only one other streak of more than three games has occurred since 1985, belonging to Dennis Scott. Remarkably, it was concurrent with McCloud's. In fact, both streaks ended on the exact same day!

That's nearly as random and weird as McCloud ending up on this list.

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. BigMaloe

this is a pretty decent example. I appreciate you doing the leg work because i expected DD to just fumble randomness like corey brewer had a 50pt game. 6 games isnt quite the 15 game display Jalen had, but it does show a good hot streak and elavated gameplay over a longer sustained period.

Many players can get hot and score way above their average and have a crazy 50pt game. Much harder to do it over a month and lead a team to a 13-2 record.

Like i said the only thing close to a player who never became a star having such a long "hot streak" that lead to team success was Jeremy Lin who had a 13 game streak where he led the knicks to a 10-3 record avg 22.3pts, 9ast and 4.2 rbds.

Jalen had a 15 game streak where he led the rockets to a 13-2 record and avg 29.2pts, 3.7ast, and 6.2rbds.

1-5 game hot streaks are one thing. 10+ game hot streaks leading a team to mass victories is another.

10. BigMaloe

so no actual examples, just some players having A good game and some vague comments about some other stuff.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

This is a tough question. There is like a 75% chance that Wagner has the better career, and he is the better player now.

The tough part is the other 25%, which is Green doing that Wagner could only dream of on offense.

If Amen showed he could shoot then that is the type of move you make - but right now, the Rockets lack that and the Rockets need the upside of Green.

slothy420, noppeper, IvanLCPM and 5 others like this.
  12. DaDakota

You should do your own research - if someone says they have seen it - they have seen it......I have seen a lot more ball than you, more than likely - this is nothing new.

Wemby isn't new if you saw Ralph.....

If you don't believe me, doesn't bug me, it is ok to have different experiences and opinions.....do your own research if you have doubts.

But for giggles.

Mike James
    Michael Carter Williams
    TJ Warren in the bubble
    Devin Harris
    John Salmons
    Dana Barros

To name a few.

DD

#72 DaDakota, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I don't remember them off the top of my head. I would say in general that it is rare but it does happen.

It isn't the same but NBA Players of the Month have included guys like Jamaal Magloire, DeMarre Carrol, Kyle Korver and Jeff Teague.

I don't have the time to track all of them down - but I suspect what is being discussed is rare, but not unheard of.

It comes down to how much the Rockets believe in Jalen the person. The ability and aptitude is there - but is the maturity? Is the consistency? Is the desire? I don't know the answer honestly.

BigMaloe and MadMax like this.
  14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I'm not opposed to trading Jalen, but not for Franz (I like him BTW). We are desperately in need of shooting and dynamic scoring, neither of which Wagner moves the needle for this team in such deal. With Cam on the team, the Rockets can afford to wait another year to see what we get with Jalen unless he's packaged for a real star.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  15. DaDakota

Honest question.

If Cam and Jalen both started all year, who would be better at the end of the year?

DD

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Cards on table…I don’t believe in the dude. I’d love to be wrong. I think his streakiness is a sign of who he actually is at his core. He’s a Rocket and I’ll root like hell for him. I do not believe he’s wired to be a great player, and I’d have zero objection with moving on from him if my team got some value back on that…I recognize that “value” is subjective and a ton of you would disagree with me on what that would be…devil is definitely in the details.

I hope like hell he reads this and it pisses him off and “I’ll ****ing show you old man!!” I just would be surprised if that’s who he is…but God, I hope he is just like that! I just feel like we’d know that already..and we don’t.

Corrosion, OremLK and DaDakota like this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

He kinda broke my faith in him the first 2/3 of the season. He reignited a little hope with that stretch in March, but it's more like hope at this point than belief, given that his overall numbers have basically been the same all three seasons. I know some of our posters, including some whose opinions I respect a lot, still believe in him, but I can't quite get there anymore.

It was pretty rough watching him on a team where his draft classmate was legitimately breaking out and pretty consistently having good games, like 8 out of 10 nights. And Jalen was going out there reversing that proportion most of the season to where, outside of March, you basically expected a clunker each game. Really demoralizing stuff.

MadMax likes this.
  18. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Yes, in a heartbeat. His IQ is better.

Y2JT likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's not what happened. Linsanity was not 1 year. Stop making up your own narrative. It was more like 1 month. Lin was getting only spot minutes, not even a real backup. MDA was forced to play him because of injuries to all their PGs. And he immediately exploded. Then it stopped when Melo came back from injury and took over the alpha role. Lin never repeated the hot month, unlike Jalen who repeated the hot month in all of his three seasons.

20. maypk

maypk Member

I've seen 82 of those head to head match ups with Green against players of his archetype this season, and unfortunately I couldn't see what you did.