1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could JJ return or is he just joking around?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Marshall Bryant, Nov 15, 2023.

1. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I can see him just playing a hand full of downs as a rotational player. Unless he completely shows out then you have to start him.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know how I feel about this.

If he comes back and we somehow make it to the AFCCG, that would be amazing. Plus, we'll get to have his jersey in the new uniform style(s).

If he comes back and he sucks, then...that'll be a memory hard to forget. No one forgets Jordan Wizards.

Also, how often is he playing and what's his role? I see him majority as a pass rusher now. Not some one that'll take on blockers. That's what the DT opposite of Autry's job is and I'm not taking Anderson or Hunter off the field. Unless, they're just tired.

All in all, I would love to see him out there but I'm afraid he's going to suck. If he gets one sack, NRG will go nuts.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I'm not going to BS yall at all... sign JJ Watt.

xtruroyaltyx, ROCKSS and ROXRAN like this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I forget about Jordan’s Wizards all the time. Instead think about Lebron going back to Cleveland and getting the championship. (No I don’t think he will be as impactful as Lebron, just saying he’s closer to that than Jordan Wizards..
    My thoughts are this:
    It’s 3rd and 6, game on the line, up by 2. Gotta keep them off first down and FG range.

insert
    Hunter/Autry/Watt/Anderson and ask stingley/Lassiter/Okudah for just 2 seconds of lockdown coverage… done deal.

I don’t expect anything from him other than morale boost, 3-5 sacks, and taking blockers, not because he’s built to take them, but because the defense can’t leave him to double WAJ or Hunter.

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. CrazyJoeDavola

No, he is serious.

The Texans are not.

red5rocket likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He was damn good his last year. Bringing the best player in franchise history back as a situational player at a position of need would be huge

desihooper, Shark44 and ROCKSS like this.
  7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

JJ Watt's presence in the locker room alone would be impactful. Especially with all the youth on the team. And I think with his talent level, if he's playing in a limited capacity, such as passing downs only, then he could be quite effective.

joshuaao, ROCKSS, desihooper and 2 others like this.
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Love JJ.

That said, as a situational/role player...with leadership qualities. This team should be about winning it all, and if he can contribute to that, it's all good.

desihooper likes this.
  9. blackistan

blackistan Member

This should be a serious discussion for the Texans imagine having JJ on that D line even if its situational

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

11. HeyBudLetsParty

My 2 theories are that 1 he wants attention, why make this conversation public otherwise.
    2, he wants to come back, but he wants to be asked/courted and I’m not sure the Texans care enough to do it. Either way I would be shocked if he ever plays again.

12. raining threes

If he can be a difference maker then I'm on board with him coming back.

If he's coming back for a ring then I hope he stays retired.

I don't get why fans want him to comeback so badly.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He's seriously joking.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Could he play DT?

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

How do you get WAJ, Hunter, Autry and JJ on the field in a NASCAR lineup? Where do you put them? The situation would need to be a passing down with a low chance of a run play by either the RB or a scramble by a running QB. Otherwise, you really have to hold back to protect against the run. They can do it, but we're talking maximized usage in a 4 sacker attack where we need to stop the pass with 7 pass defenders.

My preferred alignment keeps WAj and Hunter on the edges and moves Autry and JJ inside to tie up the interior. By something different and surprising is sometimes better.

But to be honest, I do not foresee a need to send out the bat signal to JJ with the depth we have this year. We could sustain a lot and still have outstanding players at the ready. But after last year and the OL, never say never.

16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Watt was great against the run. He wouldn’t have to be relegated to pass only situations. In his last year he had 7 TFL. If he is healthy as he claims to be he would be a great rotational player and would be able to play at both tackle and end. I would bring him back in time to get to game speed and familiar with the defense to be a difference maker in the playoffs.

joshuaao and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I take this to mean that if the Texans are legit on a Superbowl path and we have any kind of depth issues on the DL there will be serious conversations about having him as a rotation/situational pass rusher.

If JJ thinks he can stay in actual football shape well into January 2025 I am all for it. I believe he has gas in the tank.

Buck Turgidson and jch1911 like this.
  18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Agreed, we get to week 10 and things are looking good and maybe the D Line isnt panning out as we would like then come on my man. Personally, I would like to have him in camp on day 1 to help the young guys, stay in shape, be a mentor and show the young bucks what real work ethic is.................hell I wish JJ would do that same thing for the Astros at this point, he could go light a fire under there collective asses :D

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

WAJ and Hunter on the outside, Autry and Watt on the inside.

If you really want to **** with them once or twice a game, put a NT b/t Watt and Autry (LB and SS cover the TE and RB, 3 corners and a deep safety)

joshuaao and Marshall Bryant like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

If he's at all serious I expect him to be around camp a whole lot