1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Jalen Green for Franz Wagner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 6, 2024.

?

Jalen Green for Franz Wagner?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Ceiling doesn't matter anymore, we are 3 years in a s Green is less efficient than his rookie season.

At this point we are just talking about a young good player vs a young not good player

berkowsk, fattz, Y2JT and 3 others like this.
  2. cml750

cml750 Member

No, not until I see how Jalen starts next season. If he plays bad he would tank his already diminished trade value but it is a risk we need to take. If Jalen can harness his streak energy for an entire season will will challenge next year. If he can consistently bring at least 50% of his streak energy we will be top 4-5 in the West. If he plays like **** again then get rid of him for whatever we can get at the deadline.

Strawberry Gum and Dobbizzle like this.
  3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

..only if we can trade Alpi for Banchero.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'll post the analysis on that later when I'll be back at the computer.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Don't bother - it's a joke tugging at your Alpi bro strings ;)

daywalker02 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I haven't given up all hope for Green yet. I don't think his hot streaks are just flukes. You have to have some real talent to do that, not just once or a few games but every season for a considerable stretch. So the ceiling still matters. He still can and probably will improve.

But when we think about ceilings, we also have to think about the likelihood of reaching the ceiling. That's more difficult to assess. What we have is the trajectories and intangibles. I agree that those aren't favoring Jalen at this point.

noppeper, OremLK and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nothing against Franz or well Jalen but the Rockets needed the Wemby pick as urgently as a drop of water.

Nook likes this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

**** no, Wagner's ceiling is a solid role player, Green's is a top 10 player. Run it back and see if Jalen puts it together.

cbass likes this.
  9. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Nope. Would rather trade Dillon Brooks + picks for Franz Wagner

Dobbizzle likes this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Mu****ers out here really trying to make us one of those teams who trades away a player who then turns into a top player in the league. We've not got Luka chilling in the wings if we trade away Brunson, just a thought.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Franz is averaging 20,5, and 4 on pretty good efficiency with above-average defense as a third-year 22-year-old. I think his ceiling is a bit higher than "solid role player". I agree he likely doesn't have top 10 player potential, but he could be in multiple all-star games in the future and perhaps be the second-best player on a contender. (He might already be that, depending on how you feel about Orlando's chances moving forward.)

Edit: I'm not sure I think Jalen has top 10 player potential either by the way, though maybe he has a better chance than Franz (albeit still very low odds). I think even if everything goes very well for him, he most likely tops out somewhere around the Devin Booker/Donovan Mitchell range, back end of the top 15.

Y2JT, Easy and daywalker02 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I like him a lot but the Magic are not giving him up, they would rather give up Fultz, Wendell Carter, Jonathan Isaac, maybe Cole Anthony and his brother Moritz Wagner than him....

They got his brother to Orlando just to keep Franz long term.

Orlando just needs a secondary to tertiary banana that can shoot......Ingram, PG13 etc. Klay...

#32 daywalker02, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
    OremLK likes this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Honestly I think there is a solid argument to be made that Franz may have reached his peak ala Chandler Parsons.

Hot take, I know... Franz is a nice player but Orlando will be building around Paolo more this off-season.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nah I agree with you tbh, I was just about to post this myself. He looks like one of those kind of guys to me. I think this is the finished product, he may get craftier and more efficient and learn more tricks, but I don't think he ever becomes a star player at all.

Rocketeer and Bo6 like this.
  15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

We've literally just seen he has the potential to be top 10. Can he do it long term? Probably not, but you take the chance, because if that slim bet does come off, we're a contender.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I hate the FACT that we are still discussing/contemplating trading (Green) our #2 pick!!! :mad:

A player continuously showing FLASHES of greatness is truly the worst thing for any organization!!! You don't want to give up on him and look like an idiot if he truly grabs it by the horns and cements himself as a true alpha, but you also don't want to be the one who keeps him and squanders the value of that #2 pick if he's really a streaky high end role player!!!

IMHO.... It depends what you value more, a higher upside (Green) or a higher floor (Wagner).
    If we trade Jalen Green and he becomes the next Jalen Brunson we are going to be jumping off of buildings...:confused:

[​IMG]

Go Rockets!!!

#36 BamBam, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Magic would laugh in our faces. And I’m a Jalen fan

Nook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So give up on Jabari?

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Franz is most likely not available, and is a much better player than Jalen right now. I get that Jalen has the higher ceiling, but since the shooting hasn’t improved over 3 seasons I don’t think there’s much of a debate: if that offer was on the table, Houston would have to pull the trigger.

Y2JT likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is exactly how I feel.

BamBam likes this.