1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green without the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Not much support for your opinion in the way of statistics but to address some of the commentary anyway... I think you lost me on a couple points, like with trying to pump up Whitmore's defense which was categorically bad. Or sticking an offensive player on the weakside corner which is basically a common practice around the league. And he's like 190 soaking wet, who's he supposed to box out? Somehow turned elevating for rebounds into a knock, something he was good at and specifically improved this season. Idk that's a weird attempt at trying to tear him down. I'll give you that the defensive intensity wasn't always there, but it was a damned sight better than his Silas seasons.

On offense he's hardly the only one standing around during the FVV/Alpe 2 man game, not sure how that's a specific knock on him either. I think the second half proved, at the very least, that the ultra conservative offense they ran first half of the season absolutely throttled team development.

I think they have some real decisions coming up about who they want to be as a team. Fred was necessary for the culture but him getting banged up and having to sit out, take a lighter load was a godsend to the team's development. If he's here past the deadline, as a starter, something went wrong.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Its been 11 years bobby has been a bad poster but somehow it's everyone else's fault they don't agree with his terrible takes.

Stephen_A likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not my take, it's just the facts. People like you can cry about those facts all you want... but the facts don't change.

4. BigMaloe

Im not talking about geeen or this topic, just about how poor of a poster you have always been.

Rocketeer, cmlmel77 and Stephen_A like this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I don’t think he regressed at all. He is on a team with more experience and savvy vets along with coaching. I saw a progression of his play this year as he was figuring out a system predicated on FVV and Sengun 2 man game. Sure there were struggles. The first half of the season was a heavy dose of this and again teams stacked the paint waiting for Sengun. I saw Udoka made adjustments in his halfcourt sets positioning Sengun at the elbows at times or playing 5 out and Green seemed more comfortable as the season progressed. He progressed in his reads off the dribble drive and improved defensively. We shall see what he does next season and I think that’s a good test. As I keep saying nothing happens overnight.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh no, I get that you were throwing a fit, it's fine, I don't expect any better from you.

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

If you don’t know what’s right how can you make the determination on what bad is? You don’t know what right is Bobby. Let’s leave it at that. Lol

8. BigMaloe

At least i kept your son out of it.

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He never answers questions directly or with any knowledge or facts and his response is usually “Jalen sucks” lmao

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah that’s why they gave Fred that contract. He was never meant to be here long term but to teach, lead, and establish a foundation. I think we have already seen his influence on Green and Amen. Amen likely will be the pg of the future but he really needs that floater game and 15 ft jumpshot or 3.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol is that why you threw the little b**** fit?

Thanks for the laugh

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I consider one way volume chuckers with a bottom 25 TS% in the league to be bad.

I consider volume chuckers with bottom 15 FG% and 3pt% in the entire league to be bad.

I know you just go on emotion and feels.... but I prefer to use objective fact.

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Dude you’re behind on your Jalen hate posts. 3 behind your usual average. Time for another one don’t you think?

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I guess the only thing you think is “great” is yourself with that stupid username. You need this Clutchfans site for your self worth Bobby. You need this.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.... and predictably you dodged the substance of what I said because you know I'm right and you can't bring yourself to admit it.

Don't worry, it's obvious.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think Fred is really good but there's just too much pressure on him for the calibre of player that he is. We just need to start adjusting his role as the young guys develop.

The hope is that Green and Sengun (and hopefully Amen) will take a lot of the load off of Van Vleet's plate in terms of playmaking. Over time I see FVV taking fewer 2PT shots and having a lower usage which should bring his efficiency up. That should help him focus on defense and off ball 3pt shooting a little more. Like Udoka, I believe Sengun/Green is going to be a hit.

Stephen_A and Dankstronaut like this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah that would be sweet. I really don’t mean to knock Fred, he was necessary for the culture but the sooner his usage is down the better.

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

U gotta work on ur clap backs dude. I know you don’t know shi+ because of your lack of understanding of team mates helping a player progress and develop thru the season. That’s part of the team dynamic. Insights and techniques are discussed everyday. You wouldn’t know nothing about that. And you consistently not taking this factor into account when critiquing young players shows your ignorance.

FYI your bullshi+ “analysis” in only using selective metrics isn’t analysis. I bet you can’t explain to me what metrics are and the flaws in metrics as well as the flaw in solely using metrics especially arbitrary ones and not taking other variables and factors into account. And you use metrics because you know nothing about basketball. As I said before you are a loser, hater and a charlatan.

#198 Stephen_A, May 6, 2024
    Last edited: May 6, 2024
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Kid, you should have just left it where it was, you've embarrassed yourself enough.

You asked what was bad, I spelled it out for you.... you couldn't argue with it, so you threw a b**** fit and rage quit.

That really should have been the end of it.

As to the use of metrics, I know you are too ****ing dumb to understand why i use them, so I'll spell it out for you.

I use metrics because they are objective facts that can definitively prove if I'm really seeing what I think I'm seeing when I watch.

It's a way to go beyond mere opinion.

Feeble minded dipshits just go off of their subjective eye test and end up embarrassing themselves like you, simping for scrubs like Jalen Green who is one of the worst players on the team and in the league because you like the flash over substance.

Just take the L, and maybe one day learn a bit about basketball and sports in general, it's not going to get any better for you before that.

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Ah ok. Well for starters you evaluate a player as "bad" by looking at a few metrics and stats. Not all stats and metrics but just a few select ones. You listed 3 specifically in your post - FG% 3 pt% and TS%. Your premise flawed from the getgo since you are only looking at 3 data points. And you haven't analyzed the player qualitatively or out of your observation or knowledge, Which since you dont have any you naturaly run to metrics and stats-mostly metrics. Surely a player is more than just shooting %.

Seems like you don't understand what metrics are, as I suspected all along. Metrics aren’t necessarily objective facts. They are used to measure and analyze traditional statistics. And these measurements sometimes contain errors as they leave out certain variables. But they can help paint a picture. Stats and metrics are 2 different things. Stats are ppg, steals, blocks, FG% etc. Metrics are things like TS%, Win Shares, Off/Def rating, per 36.

Now you over rely on metrics as you love to talk about TS% etc. TS% attempts to account for all FG's including 3 pt & FT's using .44 as a coefficient for league average in FT and 6% as league average in And 1's.

Great but TS% is deceptive since a player can shoot 1x 3 point shot and get 150% TS%. a player can make a shot get fouled and make their FT with 104% TS%. Or player makes shot gets fouled misses foul shot TS% 69.4% another player can miss a shot get foiled makes 2 FT TS% 113.6%.

This is just an example of flawed metrics. Same with per 36 which which does not take into account endurance of players, or the pace of the team or extra possessions on offense or takeaways for the opposing team, which allows for more or less rebounding or scoring opportunities etc. It’s just a projection tool based on assumptions.

Again a few arbitrary stats or metrics you decide to focus on while ignoring the rest and not including observations based on knowledge or qualitative information such as ability to make right reads, defense, hustle, ability to get to the paint etc is flawed. I have always included numbers and my observations based on my knowledge of the game with specific examples. You haven't.