1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Yes his value is higher with an extension because he is unextendable on his current contract otherwise, and guaranteed to be an unrestricted free agent in 12 months. A true rental.

Think about it like this:

If you’re the Rockets, and the Jazz inexplicably don’t renegotiate and extend him this summer, why would you trade a huge package for Markannen? We could just sign him as a free agent next summer, we have the space.

And if we couldn’t sign him as a FA next summer because we’re not his preferred destination, even more reason not to trade much for him now because it’s just a rental and he’ll leave.

But Markannen on an extension… you trade for him to have a max worthy, versatile, two-way big wing locked up for 4 years. Teams give up huge value for that.

OremLK and Y2JT like this.
  2. lillj

lillj Member

What about an extend & trade withe Pels for Brandon Ingram?

3. Rokman

Rokman Member

I want the Rockets to be the tallest, grittiest team in the league. Every player at every position over-sized.

We have a great start with Amen at PG at 6'7". I think if Jabari can play the SF role at 6'11" that's another size advantage. I'd love to see a 6'8" or 6'9" dude at the SG and legit 7'0+ player at the PF. We already know Sengun is a lock at C at 6'11" so he'll just have to continue to add muscle which he seems more than happy to do.

raining threes, Jags and Y2JT like this.
  4. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

I was thinking about this having listened to the locked on rockets podcast reviewing Tari's season. They mentioned him having played some minutes at shooting guard.
    I would like to see some minutes with Amen, Tari, Jabari, Alpi and Steven Adams next season.

Strawberry Gum and saleem like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen is already is the second best player in our core 6 after half a season. Trading him now would be insane.

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Uggghhhhh. I need to stop reading this thread

puke

BigMaloe, topfive, xaos and 2 others like this.
  7. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’m almost down for FVV, Brooks, Tate, and nets pick for Harden & PG13

Let Harden and PG start next season and then off the bench the following when Amen & Cam ready to start

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

This lineup would make the magic look like the splash brothers

9. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

Haha fair point. It would definitely be situational and not the most frequent lineup to say the least! To your point Amen+Sengun lineups should feature 3 shooters.

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lakers in:
    Fred VanVleet
    Jeff Green

Rockets in:
    De’Angelo Russell
    Rui Hachimura

The Lakers will get significantly better PG play, while the Rockets get some improved shooting. While I think Russell would be the starting PG, the Rockets could look at getting Amen to start carrying some of those duties, as Russell is probably better at creating for himself than others. Maybe even moving Brooks to a bench role.

PG- Russell/Amen
    SG- Green/Cam
    SF- Brooks/Tari
    PF- Jabari/Rui
    C- Sengun/Landale

Then add a shooter with the MLE and possibly Dalton Knecht at #9 and this team is looking pretty good with plenty of options going forward without disrupting the core.

11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Cam (6’7”) is your over-sized SG. Need to work on his defense but that who I would go with at the 2 in an over-sized line up.

Amen
    Whitmore
    Smith
    Sengun or Tari for shooting
    Adams

shooting/spacing is still an issue but passing lanes would be clogged and it would be tough to get to the rim.

12. lillj

lillj Member

Horrible trade!!

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

A fan of your posts, but can’t stick with you on this one. I don’t like DeAngelo or Rui and would never consider giving up FFV for that package. I would, however, consider trading FVV at the deadline to recoup value on the contract signing IF we had a Brogdon, or someone coming back who could fill his role. I don’t want to pay him the 3rd year max so unless we can extend him on a reasonable deal I’d look to move him at next year’s deadline for valuable assets (at least a 1st rounder).

BigMaloe, saleem and theDude like this.
  14. theDude

Supporting Member

It’s not great, but I’m trying to take advantage of the Lakers’ desperation. I actually think Russell’s contract is good value. Unfortunately for the Lakers, it’s not going to bring back the type of upgrade they need. I’m with you that I don’t want (or expect) the Rockets to pick up that third year option on FVV. The emergence of Amen doesn’t mean we need FVV quite as much as we did this past year. I’d use this deal to break his contract into more manageable parts to move at the deadline. Getting a team to take on $44m later might require even more undesirable (and longer term) contracts than Russell and Rui, who would still be useful, but flawed, players for us.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

It's too difficult to project what the Rockets have with their youth just yet. Amen and Cam both got a big opportunity with Tari going down but now we don't know exactly what we have with him since he lost 3/4 of a year worth of development. I can only assume there will be a bit of back sliding to start this next season with him.

VanVleets game isn't going to magically change for the better next year, he's 30, so he is what he is.

I don't trust that Adams is going to come back as strong as he was after missing as much time as he has and maybe that was never the Rockets plan. He could just be financial filler so I still think they need to add another big man, preferably, one of the bigs in this draft to grow behind Sengun, Jock and Adams. The latter two will be gone after next year most likely anyway.

I think, overall, stay the course and try to add one, maybe two, real impact players in free agency.

16. fattz

fattz Member

Tate to a contender for a late FRP

—> Tyler Kolek out of Marquette is the perfect back - up point on rookie scale for the next 6 years. He checks all the boxes and will be great in that role. He can play for the Vipers till FVV moves on. TK will never be a starter but I think he can help the team win. Money well spent, in an area of need, as we start to pay some of the core players.

#2076 fattz, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've considered trades like this, but the reason to do it would be to milk the Lakers of picks that can be used in trades. I'd want all three of their picks available (I might consider two, but no guarantee) and would consider sending over Landale and Tate if they want them and can send over expirings. Russell is a big drop off that only makes sense for getting something that can be used later to recoop the drop off.

theDude likes this.
  18. theDude

Supporting Member

Reaves+Vincent+Vanderbilt+ picks for FVV works salary wise, but those are some long-term contracts. It’s hard matching salaries on a $44m contract without taking some garbage back. The original deal only had one year of Russell at a reasonable salary and two of Rui. I think both could be dealt at the deadline if needed. And the Lakers really could use FVV. There aren’t too many teams that need or would be willing take on his contract. The Lakers might be one of the few.

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

#9+2027 FRP+Brooks (to third team)+Tate for Bridges.

Aruba77 likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’ll allow it. ;)