1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“I swear to God I'll pistol whip the next guy who says”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface, May 4, 2024.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not convinced they would have picked Sengun if they opted to keep Jarrett Allen. So I have zero regrets about that.

cbass, rockets1995, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

That is literally my only consolation.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

I can respect the opinion but I'm a bit on the other side. Because back then, the 1st year of the rebuild (with picks), everyone including Stone was saying BPA. If that was really true, then the org pick highest dude still available on their board.

So back then fit was less of a concern, as all the swings was supposed to be upside first. Even Sengun himself, his archetype wasn't the "rim running", vertical threat the org seems to like, but they still picked him.

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

But they didn't have that pick. They had to trade for it. Would they have still traded picks for a center if they had Jarrett Allen on the roster? I'm not convinced.

cbass, Dobbizzle and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  5. TimDuncanDonaut

Yes, they moved up to Thunder to get him. All the reason for the 'bpa', as in within the org's resources (i.e. trade up) to get someone. There were other guys like Oladipo (sg) was also here on that first year, but they picked Green because bpa (from the draft) to replenish the cupborad.

If BPA wasn't lip service, it means you get the best guy available (within your means), regardless who's currently on the roster.

I'm not trying to convince you as I understand that's your opinion; just explaining other people's rationale.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This thread will be a joke eventually. Can’t wait for that day.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

They don't have Sengun pick Stone traded 2 picks to get the Sengun pick. I doubt Stone does that trade if we kept Allen cuz first of all we wouldn't have enough picks. Secondly we still had CWood at the time so Allen and CWood would be our future front court.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

BPA just means pick best player available to you not trade up for the best player available.

Otherwise why didn't Rox trade up for Chet or Banchero? They didn't even work out Jabari so pretty clear he wasn't Rox top choice in fact Rox have never traded up so I dunno where you are getting that assumption. They picked Jalen even if they had Dipo because they already have the 2nd pick. If they had like the 4rth pick I highly doubt they trade up to the 2nd to get Green, they'd just pick who they is the BPA at 4.

#88 roslolian, May 5, 2024
    Last edited: May 5, 2024
    Williamson and glimmertwins like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It was always a joke of a thread.

10. invocux

invocux Member

They were supposed to beat Magic we would beat them too. He looked pretty bad. Defense is there but he'll never be good enough on offensive end. This generational talk has always been ridiculous but the people who don't think that he's generational still think he is the next Garnett which is almost equally ridiculous. I don't have a comp for him but he's 2 tiers below Chet in terms of talent.

apollo33, saleem and roslolian like this.
  11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jarrett Allen is more of add on Player for 2 Star Players.

Rockets were rebuilding and his Salary was too much at that time.

Alperen Sengun would've been stuck on the bench and not Play behind Christian Wood and Jarrett Allen. Christian Wood got traded for less.

Alperen Sengun got playing time and developed his game, his defense and fitness.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He had a measly 3 points in Game 6 when I wrote this.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He contested 20 shots in that game and dominated the boards. I get that's not as flashy as volume scoring, but it's very valuable when it comes to the team winning.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Somehow Mobley managed to shoot 37% from 3 but on 1-2 attempts.

15. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Less is more.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Everyone lost the debate. The correct choice was Scottie Barnes.

Y2JT likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There were several more correct choices than the one made. Both the Rockets and Pistons took 2 of the worst players taken in the first round with the first two picks.

Y2JT likes this.