1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Green become Edwards?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 4, 2024.

?

Will Jalen Green become as good as Anthony Edwards?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. New Jack

New Jack Member

The same Jordan Clarkson that shot 41%fg and 29% from 3 this past season? As inconsistent as Green has been, he's not as bad as Clarkson

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Green has much more upside than Clarkson but Clarkson has a body of work of some sort of consistency.

I think the OP has that in mind.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I wasn't really trying to make direct player comps, I was more talking about overall production and value.

@roslolian I don't think Jalen will ever have anywhere near Ant's physical strength. I also don't see the same "it" factor--competitiveness, toughness, however you want to describe it. I think he tops out as a neutral defender or just a bit above average, personally.

NewAge likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What the OP really wants to ask is:

Can Jokic become Sengun??

Or Does Hakeem’s legacy with Houston rival Sengun’s???

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Will Jokic become the owner of a new race horse......

6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The whole 2nd half of the season isn't 8 games. It just was really noticeable once Sengun was hurt and the offense opened up

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn't good for the whole second half... he was good for 8 or 9 games that skewed the numbers for the 2nd half.

He was terrible before the brief hot streak, he was terrible after the brief hot streak.

He's been overall terrible for his entire career.

Corrosion, Y2JT and GotGame15 like this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

It was a 14-game stretch starting February 29 (before Sengun got injured) and ending March 29. During this stretch, Jalen averaged 29, 6, and 4 on 48% / 42% shooting. February 29 was his first of back-to-back 34-point games against Phoenix. March 29 was another 34 point game, this time against Utah. After the Utah game, his performance fell off a cliff again.

The first six of those games included Sengun. For the last ten games of the season, in which he averaged 16, 5, and 4 on 38% shooting, Sengun was still obviously out with injury. So no, I don't think that Jalen's uptick in performance had anything to do with Alpi getting hurt. It was just a hot shooting streak.

Outside of that one great stretch, the rest of the season he was a huge drag on the team overall, occasionally chipping in a great game or two but then going right back to taking way too many shots on horrible efficiency.

He needs to improve as a shooter and show he can be an efficient scorer throughout the season as a whole. That's on him, not Sengun.

#48 OremLK, May 5, 2024
    Last edited: May 5, 2024
  9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This is a good recall. I feel like sometimes people forget what actually happened.

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

Right, Sengun was the problem. Only reason ANT looks better is because the TWolves play small-ball without a Center clogging space...

What's that? They play TWO centers?

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He can pass, his role was to shoot, in the Gleague he passed a lot more.

DD

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

And in the last three games.

DaDakota likes this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

The issue isn't Cam's passing itself, he has that tool. When he actually tries to pass and sees the open man, he can execute. The issue is his lacking court vision/basketball IQ/instincts. Those are unfortunately harder to fix.

14. DaDakota

He doesn't lack instincts, his role on the team was SHOOT first - when he plays more - his role will change, and he will be fine.

DD

GotGame15 likes this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I watched a lot of his college tape and some of his G-League tape, and of course most of his games with the Rockets this season--I definitely think he has some issues with his instincts and feel for the game. Bit of a chucker mentality. It did kind of come and go, to be fair--you can tell he is a coachable kid who is trying to work on it.

Even still, he took a lot of those wannabe superstar shots early in the shot clock, a lot of inadvisable drives into clogged lanes, etc. He is always going to be a score-first guy, and that's fine, but he's going to have to get a lot better at taking what the defense is giving him and looking for the open man when it's not there if he wants to be a starter in this league.

16. DaDakota

That's fair, but rookies trying to earn their time think the best way to do that is to score, as time is earned he can settle down into a more team oriented role like we saw the last 3 games where he averaged a little more than 4 assists per game....

Which is more inline with a superstar SG,...3 or 4....

DD

JHarden713 likes this.
  17. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Can he stay healthy is the biggest question, reminds me of Brandon Roy little bit (where they were right).

DaDakota likes this.
  18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'd settle for Green becoming an average player on a nightly basis.

There's precisely zero chance he becomes an elite two way player.

Corrosion and Bobbythegreat like this.
  19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Edwards would never be caught painting his fingernails, so no.

It's sad but we have not found our future 2-guard yet and we're in a league filled with all-star scoring guards.

20. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

What about Sigmas?

Ancient Moabite likes this.