1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowe mentions Jimmy Butler as a possibility for Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, May 3, 2024.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Butler is old and always injured. Sengun is only 21, if we trade for a star he has to be a young player.

clos4life, VickMackey and saleem like this.
  2. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I don't mind, but I don't want to give up too much.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

A lot of miles on that body so I don't know if I'd give them more than a top 10 protected future pick. Doubt they'd take that.

Sounds like he's using us as leverage but as far as character goes you gotta wonder what happens if you have Steven Adams, Jimmy Butler and Dillon Brooks coached by Ime Udoka. Talk about intimidating defense.

More stars will become available as they do after every year's playoffs. Honestly though if any two of Sengun or Green or Jabari take a significant step up in 3PT shooting over the summer we won't need to acquire a star.

I consider it likely at least two of those will improve their shooting by next season with contract situations looming (financial incentive) and them now seeing how important it is for them to improve in that area in order to earn more minutes and shots. Just old school set 3pt shot training. Feet set, open shot. They all need to improve at that basic shot and it will have such a positive effect on their on-court impact. Coach agrees with that for Sengun and Green at least. I have a feeling Jabari might give us 38% on 7+ attempts from 3 next season which would be a huge step up for us.

Front office should be very risk averse this summer. Teams don't typically have 6 players under 22 all in the regular rotation and coming off a .500 season. Udoka is militant about being hands on with player training in the summer. The kids have responded well to a very tough coach. We will have a disproportionately high amount of internal improvement compared to the rest of the league. Don't underestimate that.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

We definitely know he'd be a "Udoka" type player.

Dont know why Rockets are used as leverage when they dont even have that cap room now. It just assumes Rockets are desparate for an upgrade option to deal for.

Interestingly, Butler averages around same number of games as always-hurt Tracy McGrady. One reason to stay away from a max contract. 3 years ago, sure. Now, not so sure.

Tuckmose and Ancient Moabite like this.
  5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

The idea of giving a player with Jimmy's injury history a max may seem crazy on paper but once Jalen and Alpi sign those extensions, our cap will be maxed out till the end of the decade. As long as Tilman is willing to dip into the luxury tax to pay the rest of the youngsters when their extensions are up I wouldn't mind giving Jimmy a 3 year max.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They write articles merely to get clicks and paychecks.

People are glad the Rockets are not the ugly duckling no more.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Spoken by a person content on no greater than 8th seed in 24/25

VanVleet-Dillon don't get you much.....Paul George would take us further.

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Exactly! Even with no significant free agent moves they will add a top 10 pick (though in a weak draft) and Eason who was practically gone the entire year. Add to that the potential growth esp for the 2nd year players and you will already see a improvement

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Butler for Dillon Brooks... OK fine. Twist my arm.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Tilman tried to put Michael Carter Williams, Brandon Knight and Marquise Chriss around Paul, Harden, and Capela when he purchased a 65 win team. That is why we are... here.

But I'm sure he will spend a lot of money now. This time it will be different.

Little Bit, KingCheetah and Tuckmose like this.
  12. AXG

AXG Member

This. He had his chance but chose Miami instead. Now, he's not worth it anymore unless he's willing to take a massive paycut so other big names can join him.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kyle Lowry was one of those bigger names that followed him to Miami ..... via sign and trade.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Don’t want that Tomball trash.

only good thing to come out of there is Goodson’s

Little Bit likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Currently
    2023-24 $45m (this season)

2024-25 $48.7
    2025-26 $52.4

The contract is pretty big. Even if sticking a Dillon in there, will have to pad it with other contacts.

Butler as of last year was still in top 20 list. Putting extension aside his two remaining years could still be useful.

Initial reaction is a no, but I can be convinced if by some low possibility, the parameters of such a deal severely favors the Rockets.

For example his injury history, as people pointed out, is a real concern, theoretically a good GM can drive the price down when talking to Riley.

16. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Makes no sense for us or him.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Younger than LB Jimes....

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll repeat something from another thread: During the regular season this year, the Heat did not seem to miss Butler at all when he was out.

He's at a stage now where he could be a 4th option on a championship contender. I don't see how his presence would benefit the Rockets in the long term because he would eat minutes that would go to Jalen/Cam/Tari/Amen.

IMO, next season must be thought of as a developmental year for the youngsters. It's make or break time for Jalen and probably the same for Jabari (and perhaps even Tari). Running back the same team should result in 45-50 wins, maybe more if injuries don't bite as hard.

19. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

To get access to information so they can break stories, they have to help them to get what they need. I also believe that they take money from their sponsors as well (checks from companies like Nike). Nike has had contracts with reporters for over a decade. Nike pays reporters, reporters help players out by voting for them and promoting who their sponsors tell them to etc.

20. cml750

cml750 Member

Jimmy Butler??? Nope!!!!!!

"Hail Hydra" likes this.