1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao says he'll stay as a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by choujie, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

touche. but then wouldnt it be 11, since LA has 2 teams?

2. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Are you serious? You cannot be serious...

3. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Thats is exactly what I was thinking

4. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

1. New York - Knicks
    2. LA - Lakers, Clippers
    3. Chicago - Bulls
    4. Houston - Rockets

the only thing that would compare to Shanghai which someone earlier said had a population of 20 million would be New York with a pop of 8 or 9 million

its all pointless now...Yao is a Rocket;)

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

You are correct, sir.

6. rainmaker

rainmaker Member

If the comparison is between Houston and New York, then Houston definitely "feels" like a small town... everything is very spread out here as opposed to packed in like it is in NYC. People here are more conservative and personable I might add, life here isn't as hectic.

Even when compared to other cities with smaller populations like SF or Boston, Houston could seem smaller because of the layout of the city and the local culture. It's all about perception.

And it's not out of the question that Yao and the Chinese reporter are not up to date on America's population rankings. Why would they be? It's not like they took American geography growing up.

7. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Calm down guys. I am sure Relativist was just joking and trying to be sacrastic.

8. white lightning

Size of Metro area is a better comparison than just size of city:

1. NY/NJ- Knicks, Nets
    2. LA- Lakers, Clippers
    3. Chicago-Bulls
    4. Washington DC-Balitmore- Wizards
    5. Oakland/San Fran- Warriors
    6. Philadelphia- Sixers
    7.Boston- Celtics
    8. Detroit- Pistons
    9. Dallas/Ft. Worth- Mavericks
    10. Houston- Rockets

So there are 11 teams in larger markets, putting us at the top of the middle third of NBA teams. Shanghai whould be #3 on this list.

We're also the 11th largest TV market with all of the above + Atlanta being larger.

But Yao's staying, so that's all that matters.

9. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

True, but that thread started out as a completely different subject, so it's understandable. If Clutch Crew wants to lock one up or merge them together, they will.

11. ceddy

ceddy Member

lock up yao ming to a long term deal immediately..but i do not think he is worth a max contract...he should get roughly the same amount of money that corey magette gets...cuz 17ppg and 9 rpg is not KG #'s or even elton brand's #'s

12. m_cable

I could go into a detailed post about why I think you're wrong, but I'll just say this: Yao's going to get the Max. :shrugs:

13. kevin8494

kevin8494 Member

Then you trade Yao with magette.

14. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

I become more and more convinced that sabonis is just Yao's screen name.....;) ;)

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yao's the leading scorer and best defender on a West playoff team. Who does Maggette play for?

16. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Thanks for the info. Now if some1 can fowered this artical to the laker and gs fans, that would be GREAT!

17. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

I think what Yao means regarding Houston as "not a big city" - is he feels that New York and Shanghai are big cities (populations of 12 and 20 million) - especially with the feel of the skyscrapers in New York being similar to those in Shanghai.

Houston? Not so much - there's probably about 20 skyscrapers here. And while we might be the 10th or 4th largest metro area in the US - that just doesn't fly on a global scale as a "large city".

18. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Please let us get back to the subject....oh wait...I forgot it too.

But before I go, let me say one thing. Does anyone think that the Rockets coaching staff will get smart and realize that Yoa Ming has a nice jumpshot. Sometimes I wish theyt would let him play the high post... I think he would be more comfortable.

19. m_cable

The way he developed his lowpost game, I don't blame the coaching staff for sticking him down there. But the more experienced Yao gets, the more apparent it will become, that the offense should be run through him on EVERY SINGLE POSSESSION. The problem is, if you having him fighting for position on every single possession, he'll kill himself before he gets to halftime. So the solution, is to give it to him down low, when his is fresh and then later when he needs a little bit of a breather, let him handle the ball at the high post where he can play the two man game with T-mac or look for cutters. I figure when Yao is in his prime, the offense should be run like:

50% Yao gets the ball in the post, where he can try to score or pass out.
    30% Run the Pick and Roll with Yao and T-Mac. It's not technically being run through Yao, but he is prominently involved.
    19% Yao at the high post where he can hand off to Mcgrady, fake a handoff, shoot, pass whatever.
    1% Other.

I think if JVG had his way, he would pound it to Yao on every possession. But Yao's stamina can't handle it yet. If he could improve it enough to the point where he can post up effectively 50% of the time, then the Rocket's offense will be extremely dangerous.

20. white lightning

It wouldn't hurt to run a fast break without him every now and then too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.