1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Where I live it's totally saturated with charging stations for 500+ miles in every direction. So no concern there.

My main worry is like @Space Ghost talked about... longevity.

I want to be able to get 6-8 years out of it. Seems like that could be an issue if I roll the dice wrong.

The Q4 caught my eye because I actually have an issue with car storage. My current cars are 79" and 73" wide respectively and it is VERY tight in my garage. So getting something a bit smaller would be a relief.

Ubiquitin and Sajan like this.
  2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

40/60 is only practical for someone who drives to work and back each day and charges daily at home. If you find a used car that was babied in this matter, its a good value....but good luck. haha

you're not going to find kWH usage. I (unclearly) stated this should be a built in metric. Currently its not that big of a deal as mileage is the best indicator at this time, but as cars start to incorporate more and more features that passively drain the battery (security, cameras, AC/Heating, passive CPU computes, bidirectional charging, ect...) does not get captured in the actual miles driven but does constitute wear on the batteries. You certainly dont want to buy an EV that has been used as an energy storage device to hedge against peak and off peak hours for home usage or used as a battery on job sites.

myco likes this.
  3. myco

myco Contributing Member

I understand where you're coming from. I've just read online and also heard anecdotally (from 1 person), that connection with Carplay and maybe Android Auto can be finicky. As in sometimes it takes a long while to connect or doesn't connect at all. Probably a very YMMV type thing, but that would personally drive me crazy.

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

my heart skipped a few beats watching this...
    kudos to having the balls to test this beta product.

5. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Ooof, that was stress inducing. It's a tough situation with the fast speed limit and small medium, but 12.3.6 was awful at handling that.

I wonder if having a neural network based FSD will be problematic in the future in terms of 'fixing' a specific behavior. AFAIK, the strength and weakness of a NN is that the decision tree is somewhat of a black box. The programmer can tweak the weights of desirable behavior in training, but it's difficult to see why the system made the decision it did and it's difficult to predict the impact of adjust the weights on other aspects. So it can become a game of whack-a-mole in perfecting the system.

Does the FSD12 have the ability to 'give up' and either return the control back to the driver saying that it cannot confidently handle this situation? Or take an alternative route if the original one is too difficult? My wife hates making unprotected left turns and would 100% just make a right turn then trying to make a U turn somehow rather than do the left turn. It would be impressive if FSD can make that decision.

6. jchu14

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

8. jchu14

That's certainly a possibility that Tesla wants to leave the charging business and leave it for third parties and other OEMs. I wonder how profitable SuperCharging is for Tesla. It seems like it's a business that's impossible to be not profitable since you can just raise prices until it is profitable.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You've got guts. lol. I'm wary of even buying used ICE cars in many cases.

Was it stated that it was the frequency of rentals? I remember initially it was due to the underestimation of the cost of repairs or something and now, with the announcement that another 10,000 would be dumped, they've stated that it was due to how much they've depreciated in value.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

sooo much for all this NACS agreement with other manufacturers...maybe he realized this pissed off his customers? or he lost the one competitive advantage?

EDIT: maybe they are bleeding money and cutting a team that supports a relatively "stable" product is a way to save some money..

Tesla Axes Most of Supercharger Team in Blow to Other Automakers
    • Ford, GM, other carmakers in midst of tapping into Tesla plugs
    • Decision said to slow growth of network; some may be rehired
    The job eliminations mean Rivian, Ford and others have lost their main points of contact in Tesla’s charging unit shortly before the kickoff of the busy summer driving season. Tinucci was one of the main executives building and managing outside partnerships and was thought of highly, two people who had worked with her inside and outside of Tesla said.

@Space Ghost please help make sense of your savior's thought process..

speaking of which..unfollowed his two fanbois..

#2930 Sajan, Apr 30, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  11. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

I failed at an attempt to make a play on the word hertz....

12. Buck Turgidson

What a ****ing candyass.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh God. :D

jchu14 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Have you ever seen a guy run through the concourse?

Was he wearing black gloves?

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Omar is a jackass. He should have never been promoted. Sawyer is a good guy, but he got his hand caught in the cookie jar. And besides, if someone's feelings are hurt because the ego manic stopped following, they should seek therapy.

I don't understand this supercharger thing. I understand if he isn't happy with the direction it's going, but charging is one of the biggest hurdles. Perhaps he has decided it's not worth pursuing and to let the industry have this one. I think it's a mistake. It is a division that can easily support itself.

Sajan likes this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

Maybe he sold NACS as standard idea to everyone…
    And once everyone started drooling over the super charger network…he knew others would have to maintain it.

“Come join our wonderful network”
    “Ok….! We will make it our standard”
    “Ha, now you have to maintain it”
    “Hey! Where are you going? Who do we contact at Tesla”
    *You have reached a disconnected phone*

I mean what manufacturer is now going to go back to CCS…

Space Ghost likes this.
  17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Sorry but I am still not sold on a Full EV.. I'm on the side of the Hybrid....

T_Man

Ubiquitin and Sajan like this.
  18. Sajan

Sajan Member

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

......say hello to your new toyota..

20. Sajan

Sajan Member