1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Cubs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 23, 2024.

1. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

how is there no altuve base running gaffe box

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Yesterday did not deter me at all. It also didn't help.

I expected France to give up runs and hoped the Astros bats would heat up but they didn't.

Hopefully Meyers' HR yesterday gets him some more playing time, especially vs LHP.

Maybe today is the day it turns around.

1) Arrighetti goes at least 5 giving up 3 or less runs.

2) offense heats up a bit, scoring at least 5.

3) the big 3 each pitch a scoreless inning to seal it.

4) J. Abreu does not see the field.

5) Bregman gets an extra base hit, maybe it's a HR?

Baby steps.

desihooper, ryan_98, Radricky and 2 others like this.
  3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Agreed, the dude has one of the best eyes for the strike zone I have ever seen and this is a contract year, he should be raking. He put on weight over the off season, and I wonder if that's the issue or he is putting too much pressure on himself to show he is worth the HUGE deal. He is typically slow but I am getting nervous. To put it into context, Alex has hit .200 in March and .203 in April.......last year he hit .235 in April but in May hit .271 so he is ripe to "turn it on". If he doesn't produce this year or has a down year its going to be tough to get the deal he wants

RustyHarden likes this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Every MLB hitter has a 20 game span where he is much worse than his usual.

This isn't ideal and is absolutely hurting the team but it's magnified because it's to start the year and the team around him isn't doing anything to pick him up.

He needs to turn it on, but it's not too late.

RustyHarden and ROCKSS like this.
  5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

While yes, our pitching has been awful a lot of the season, the offense bears a huge part of the blame for 7-17

We have scored 5 or more runs just 7 times

6-1 in those games

We have scored 4 or less 17 times

1-16 in those

PLEASE GOD no Bregman batting 4th tonight and PLEASE EVERY BEING no Abreu in the lineup

seemoreroyals likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I know that... but much like 8/9ths of this lineup is probably pretty fixed regardless, 8/9ths of this BBS is focusing on the hitting.

Meanwhile, 3-4/5ths of the starting rotation has been absolute dog-**** this season... with 1/5th's being the one guy nobody even expected to be on the roster (Blanco).

The latter should get better with injury recovery and heads going out of asses. At one point Abreu will be taken out back and put out his misery. However the rest of the lineup is going to be there no matter what and regardless of what batting order they're in, they are a fixed entity.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am with you. The far greater problem is the pitching.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

This is where I'm at with the Astros. Almost anything is a better use of time honestly these days. I love sports, and always will, but they just aren't worth it right now. It's not worth getting depressed over them. It's not worth getting mad, upset, frustrated, etc. I deal with enough at work sometimes and I don't need the Astros adding to my blood pressure level.

9. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

11. Radricky

Radricky Member

Big Jon is going to hit a dong tonight!

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

0se Abreu is not getting a hit today.

Houstunna likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Runs scoring is just fluky bad though outside of Abreu. One or two guys being in normal slumps at a time is normal. The Astros have 10 guys that I expect wll be slightly below average hitters to way way above average hitters. Espada has not found a way to get 9 of those 10 guys in a game at the same time at any point in this season despite it being apparent really fast that Abreu is not even a slightly below average hitter right now.

P.S. I really hope I'm wrong about Abreu and he's lights out the rest of the year.

Edit: I have no fear the Astros will score runs. I just have little confidence that the pitching can get their act together soon enough for guys to get healthy.

#373 Joe Joe, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. SuraGotMadHops

I'm glad to see the Yordan at 2 experiment is over, not sure how I feel about Bregman at 2 instead of Pena, but if he just take walks without popping out he will be doing a decent enough job there.

AznH-TownFan and desihooper like this.
  15. RussE

RussE Member

Anything is better than Abreu. Big Jon says…hold my joint.

Stephen66 and Houstunna like this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It’s unreal to me how freeing 2017 and 2022 were to me. I’ve already gotten WAYYYYYYYY more than I ever expected. This entire run has been so beyond any expectation I ever had as an Astros fan, it’s crazy.

I will always be rooting for the Astros. They’re part of the backdrop of my life every summer since I was old enough to remember. We’re due a down year…what we’ve been given is just unreal amazing. I’m very well accustomed to listening on the radio (app now) and watching with zero big picture objective. Just enjoying Astros baseball. I’m not going anywhere.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I actually would have played Abreu today. He made his best contact of the season yesterday. Yes, he sucks, yeah he's probably done, but unless there is some kind of a matchup thing happening this is the rare day I wouldn't have minded seeing him out there.

I can't believe I'm saying that...

18. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I can’t believe he’s actually doing a lineup change. Wow

19. Yordan The Great

Took 24 gdamn games to figure out the obvious, move Bregman to 2nd in the order.

20. Yordan The Great

Well he pushed Abreu from 5th to 6th to 7th and then finally to 8th. So he's done more than Dusty would ever consider.

Why it took him this long to move Bregman I cannot comprehend.

Houstunna likes this.