1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEWS: Yao Says He'll Stay a Rocket, Trains with Falsone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by user, Sep 15, 2004.

1. user

user Member

Falsone was with Yao at HaiNan island after Olympic.

Chinese interview with the CNT PG LiuWei who is also Yao's close friends and will trial for the Kings in this year's summer camp.

http://sports.tom.com/1019/1042/2004916-430035.html

According to the interview, after the Olympic, they went to HaiNan island for a week long vacation. But Falsone was with them there and kept them (the PG and Yao) working out every morning. They had to run like 3000 - 5000 meters on the sand every morning. Then some more indoor sprint. Damn, what a vacation!

It seems that Falsone started to push Yao's endurance from now on. The vacation was up and they are back to Shanghai now.

2. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Endurance is the most important thing for Yao. Even if he stayed as skinny as he was his rookie year, if he had the energy to crash the glass and attack the basket, he would be so much better.

3. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Yao just promised that he will stay with the Rockets.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/p/2004-09-16/10351150094.shtml

¼ÇÕßÔÚµÚһʱ¼äÁªÏµµ½ÁËÒ¦Ã÷£¬Ëû±¾È˶ÔÓÚÕâÑùÒ»·ÝÐøÔ¼ºÏͬÒѾ_±íʾͬÒ⣬ֻµÈÇ©×ÖÖ®ÈÕ¡£
    ¡°ºÍ»ð¼ýÇ©Ô¼ÎÒ²»ÎªÇ®£¬Ö»ÎªÒ»¸ö¡®Ç顯×Ö¡£ÎÒ²»»áÍü¼Ç»ð¼ýÔÚµ±³õΪÁ˵õ½ÎÒËù¸¶³öµÄ¼èÐÁºÍŬÁ¦£¬ÎÒÊÇÒ»¸öÖظÐÇéµÄÈË£¬×öʲôÊÂÇ鶼ҪƾһµãÁ¼ÐÄ£¬Èç¹ûûÓÐʲôÒâÍ⣬ÎÒ»áÑ¡Ôñ¼ÌÐøÔÚ»ð¼ý´òÇò¡£¡±
    ¡°ËäÈ»¸¥ÀÊÎ÷˹¡¢ÀÏè¡¢¿¨ÍеÈÈË×ßÁË£¬´ÓµÚÒ»Èü¼¾Åã°éÎÒµ½ÏÖÔÚµÄÒ²Ö»ÓÐÌ©ÀÕºÍŵ¿Ë°ÍÁË£¬µ«ÊÇÎÒʼÖÕÔÚÏë×ÅҪΪ»ð¼ý×ö³öµã¹±Ï×£¬ÎÞÂÛÔÚÎÒÉí±ß²¢¼ç×÷Õ½µÄ¶ÓÓÑÊÇË_£¬ÎªÐÝ˹¶ØÕâ×ù¹Ú¾ü³ÇÊÐÔÙÒ»´Î¶áµÃNBA×ܹھü½±±_Ò»Ö±ÊÇÎÒÐÄÖеÄÒ»¸öÃÎÏë¡£¡±

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Man, that's touching, tissues, I need tissues...

Yao basicly said that he sign with Rockets is not about money, he \remember what the Rockets did for him when he first came to the league, and he still appreciate that. He said he is an emotional guy, and he wants to repay the Rockets. If nothing goes wrong, he will continue to play for the Rockets.

And even though Steve, Cat, and Cato are gone. And only person who are left from Yao's rookie year are Taylor and Boki, he still wants to contribute to Rockets, no matter who are going to be his teammates, and his dream is to get another championship for this city.

#4 LegendZ3, Sep 15, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  5. user

user Member

So he wanted to bring a championship to Houston before his next move. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? It sounds like he liked Houston all right BUT he's still attracted to big cities.

I know Houston is big to Texans, but we are not just talking about raw space. ;)

6. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

A lot of us here can't read Chinese. Would you please clarify whether the above statement is from the article or your own imagination?

7. user

user Member

Mostly my imagination. He said He wanted to go to a big city before the draft but after a whole year in Houston, he would chose Houston without blink if he had to chose it again. My take of course that he was just trying to be political correct here.

He also said "without surprise, I will continue to play in Houston." Of course my focus is on the "without surprise". ;)

8. bob718

Someone just translate Yao's original words please. I think he basically said that he will end his career here if nothing goes wrong. (not about money, but about the good relationship between he and the management)

I myself would do it if only my translation skills wasn't bad.

#8 bob718, Sep 16, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  9. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Our reporter contacted Yao at first instance . He himself has agreed to the draft of the contract, the only thing left is putting the ink on the paper.
    to sign with Rockets is not a money issue, it's my undying love. I will never forget how much effort and endeavourer Rockets put in to obtain me. I am a touchy & feely guy, I do everything with morale. If no surprises, I will choose to keep playing for Rockets
    Although I shed buckets of tears when Steve, Cat & Cato are gone, the only ones left are Mot & Boki, but I have always wanted to contribute to Rockets. No matter whom I play with, Getting another ring for Houston has always been my wettest dream.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

No matter whom I play with, Getting another ring for Houston has always been my wettest dream.

Come on, you didn't think I'de let that go unnoticed did you?

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Oh

My

God!!!

I totally missed that. And some people here actually question Yao's... um, love for Houston. :rolleyes:

13. hdd

hdd Member

Yao rules........

:D :D :D

14. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Let me just summarize what this article is all about.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/p/2004-09-16/10351150094.shtml

1. The rookie contract that Yao Ming signed in 2002 is a "3 + 1" contract, meaning as long as Rockets agreed to retain Yao Ming after the first 3 seasons, the "+ 1" provision will automatically become effective, and there is no need for Yao Ming to sign/renew the contract.

2. Now the Rockets already made this decision, it meant Yao Ming will have to stay in Houston for his 4th season, and right after the 2005 ~ 06 season, according to the initial "Qualified Offer Contract", as long as Houston Rockets had exercised the "+1" option, they could be the first team to sign contract with Yao Ming for the 2006 ~ 07 season; this is compulsory, even if Yao Ming wants to leave Houston by then; But the probability of this happening is slim; as long as Yao Ming is barred from major injury or sickness, it is envisaged Houston Rockets will lure him into a renewal of a maximum contract.

3. According to the reporter that wrote the above article, he interviewed Yao Ming immediately after the news of Houston Rockets wanting to grab the option of Yao Ming's 4th year. Yao Ming has already agreed to the terms and conditions of the new contract; all that is remaining is the actual contract extension signature. This also meant that unless the Rockets want to trade Yao Ming, Yao Ming will still be in his Rockets unifrom for the next 3 years. The contract extension currently awaits for Yao Ming is actually the "+1" option, with a US$ 5.6M annual salary. If Yao Ming signs the extension, Houston Rockets will also have the right to sign Yao Ming for the 2006 ~ 07 season, which means all the other teams have to wait until 2007 ~ 08 season if they want to get Yao Ming's services.

4. Yao Ming said he will sign the extension not for the money but for the sentiment he has for the Rockets. "I cannot forget the difficulty, diligence and efforts the Rockets had put in to get me into NBA. I am a very senitmental person, and I do everything depending on my conscience. Barring any accident, I will choose to play as a Rockets "

5. The reporter remembered he once asked Yao Ming which team he yearned for upon entering NBA right after his rookie season. Yao Ming told him that he originally aimed to play for some other teams at bigger cities; but after a year with the Rockets, if he was given a second chance to choose his team again, he would still opt for the Rockets and Houston without hesitation, as he thought the Rockets brought him joy and Houston suits his development.

6. If Yao Ming signs the extension, it will also mean there will be at least 3 years of co-operation for the new MM (Ming & McGrady) combo because per reliable sources, Houston Rockets is also working on an extension contract for Tracy McGrady.

7. "Although Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato and so on had departed, and only Maurice Taylor and Bostnar Nachbar are the only 2 original team mates that are left behind, I am still determined to make a contribution for the Rockets regardless of what team mates I am going to play with. To recapture the champion trophy for this champion city of Houston will always be my dream." Yao Ming spoke with such conviction like he will never give up and rest until he realizes his goal.

8. The new extension of Yao Ming is undoubtedly a severe setback for those teams like LA Lakers, LA Clippers and Golden State Warriors which all want to go after Yao Ming for their team, because they will have to wait theorically for 3 more years now. Erik Zhang, Team Yao's leader said: "Obviously I am glad that so many teams are interested in Yao Ming; this proves and manifests Yao Ming's strength and value in the legue. But they have to realize that it will be very difficult to get Yao Ming away from the Houston. I only learnt from the Internet that those teams had set aside salary cap in order to sign Yao Ming, but so far none of them have really approached us with their porposals. If some team bosses have already set their sights to the player trade market 2 years or 3 years down the road, I can only say I admire them for their vision and decision making. There will be many renowned players becoming free agents in the next 3 years. If the other teams continuously place their bets on Yao Ming, I thought it will be a little bit too risky. Because no one can guarantee that even when Yao Ming becomes a free agent, he will opt to join your team. Similarly no one can guarantee that Yao Ming will suffer serious injury or be traded. Therefore everybody think that for those teams that have those idea now are a bit unrealistic and too risk-taking."

9. Even though Yao Ming was on vacation these few days in Sanya, he was still persisting on strength and conditioning training. Anthony Falsone, the strength and conditioning coach of Houston Rockets was there to monitor his training and progress. "We live in front of the ocean. I will have to jog every day with him. Falsone is very strict and demanding with me. Sometimes Liu Wei was lazy and did not exactly complete his jogging. Falsone just pretended he did not notice. But if he spotted me loafing around, he would scold me. I am really afraid of him". Yao Ming is always full of love and hate for the high and strict standards of Falsone. But this most-feared person, Falsone, who has accompanied Yao Ming to Hainan has also returned to Shanghai with him, and will continue over-seeing Yao Ming's strength and conditioning training in these few days. Yao Ming is scheduled to return to US with his parents on September 19th.

15. bob718

pryuen, you are the BEST!!!

16. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

17. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

LOL:D

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Good Work, pryuen!

That wettest dream line in the first translation cracked me up, too. Clutchfans.net can relate, Yao!

19. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Thanks alot for the summary bud!

20. Sane

Sane Member

As if his legs aren't big enough for him to start running on the beach?

Most important thing for Yao is to keep toning up, not add anymore weight (strength or fat) and push his stamina as much as possible.