1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will we do with the role players (Jeff Green, Landale, Tate, Holiday, Bullock, Boban)?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Apr 16, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Please correct me if I am wrong on any of these - and what would you do with each player?

Jeff Green - Team option - No money guaranteed in 2024/25 - contract becomes fully guaranteed if not waived by July 11, 2024.

Jock Landale - No money guaranteed in 2024/25 - contract becomes fully guaranteed for 2024/25 if not waived by June 29, 2024.

Jae'Sean Tate - No money guaranteed in 2024/25 - contract becomes fully guaranteed for 2024/25 if not waived by June 29, 2024

I believe Aaron Holiday, Reggie Bullock and Boban are all unrestricted free agents for 2024/25?

What would you do with these players?

Personally, I would try to trade Landale and Tate somehow for a great 3-point shooter. I like how Landale played at the end of the season, but if Steven Adams is back healthy, I don't see minutes for him.

Jeff Green - veteran leadership is nice and all, but we will have Steven Adams. I would let him sign somewhere else or include him in a trade (again, for a shooter).

I'd try to keep Aaron Holiday on another minimum contract, he was good value, since he was a pretty good 3-point shooter.

Love Boban, but I guess they could keep him as an assistant coach if they want him around. No minutes left for him.

I'm indifferent on Bullock. Could keep him to round out the roster if we can get him cheaply, but I don't think he is a needle mover either way.

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I agree with most of what you've said.

I would re-sign Holiday. But, I doubt he signs for another minimum. So, probably something in the $5M range works. A low enough number where it's virtually irrelevant that it's not exactly the minimum.

I see Tate and Landale as trade eligible as well. But, I think they have minimal value on their own. So, they'd be more like cap filler in a trade with some other asset.

I actually think we should try to keep Jeff Green though. I don't think he should play much but his salary next year does not affect us in any way (we will operate above the cap). I see him coaching the young guys on the sidelines all the time and he has legit deep playoff experience. He's a champion. I think the following year we would have him for the minimum in the Boban role. The exact type of guy you want there.

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Let Boban and Bullock go. Green, Holiday, Tate, Landale are trade filler and are good 10th-13th guys.

Current 9 man rotation

Sengun/Adams
    Smith/Eason
    Brooks
    Green/Cam
    FVV/Amen

4. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Landale is interesting. In a vacuum I'd prefer Adams but Landale's deal is really nice and Adams is about to be 31, coming off a major injury, and will be an FA after the season.

I'd be open to keeping Jock and trading Adams depending on what the return looks like for them.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

25ish million in tradeable salary
    Who cares about the rest

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Package them with Sengun for Zion.
    Joking joking

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rockets should just run it back in the absence of obvious upgrade trades like the Adams one.

Ime already has his hands full with core six and Adams integration if we want real progress we should have some roster continuity instead of acting like this is NBA 2K.

Aaron Holiday and Bullock should be offered minimum deals, if they find better offers ok they should go there. Our 2 ways and Nate Williams/Hinton didn't get Ime's trust I would be open to releasing them all and looking for other potential targets on the margins. Same with Boban, a roster spot is too valuable for just mentoring.

8. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Depending on who we draft or other options, strictly performance-wise wise Jeff, Landale, and Holiday all contributed to wins this year. People are low on Tate but he's a good value for his contract at times, but Amen basically does what he does x10 so it's tough, but if we have a roster spot and need to meet a salary floor why not? I'll let the cap experts chime in on that though.

Kevooooo likes this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Retain Uncle Jeff on the vet minimum. Trade the rest of them. Bullock was very disappointing. Holiday is ok, but he might ask for too much.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Stone might add 1-3 new players.......without changing the entirety and the overall look of the team.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think Landale, Green, and Tate are positive assets that should get heavy consideration for trade. Landale probably has the most value, and if we are keeping Adams we don’t need him. But Jock is the guy I’m least in a hurry to get rid of; especially with Adams coming off injury. I’d be fine holding onto him. Jeff Green can be traded to a team like we were last year that needs veteran leadership; he played pretty well this year. Again, probably not critical to move, but I’d rather get something for him, with our young guys needing more minutes. I was really really disappointed we didn’t move Tate for two 2nd rounders that were offered. He barely played after the deadline. Needless to say it’s long past time to move on. Of course this assumes we don’t use their contracts in some sort of mega trade, but I’d use them to refill our 2nd round pick coffers (post 24’), which have dwindled to a low point. Remember 2nd rounders are the new currency to add good supporting players and fill needs (see the last trade deadline as an example). If you could convert a guy like Landale and into a Brogdon, that would be awesome.

with 9 guys already locked in, and a lotto pick on the way, I don’t think any of these guys are gonna have a big role next year. I’d be very happy to sign Holiday back, who way outperformed expectations. Not giving him more than $4 mil though. Boban needs to go; it’s embarrassing that we are paying a guy and using a roster spot on cheerleading. Come on. If Bullock wants to resign for the minimum I’m okay with that as a 12th man shooter off the bench. But I was a little disappointed in his play this year.

#11 Aruba77, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    slothy420 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No combination of these players would net us a strong rotational piece. These are all easily replaceable players.

I personally like Jeff and Holiday. I'm meh on Bullock and Landale (we might end up needing a 3rd string center, if Alpi and/or Adams have some injury concerns). Tate can go; I don't hate him but he's not needed at all. Boban is a mascot but is also potentially the GOAT.

So I would be ok with keeping these guys and be ok with losing these guys. It won't move the needle either way.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Typical players that have value on the Rockets or Uncle Jeff sentimental value to someone like the Denver Nuggets......

but to the rest of the NBA merely fringe players.

14. Aruba77

agreed but I do think Jock has turned some heads. He’s definitely one of the better backup 5’s in the league and that has value. Definitely not “fringe”…anymore.

MorningZippo likes this.
  15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Are we sure Adams is better than Landale at this point in their careers?

16. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe Stone said they will be picking up all options (Green, Tate and Landale) and operating over the cap. If the team does that and drafts a player at #9, there are only two spots left . Theoretically, you could get a better player with the MLE than any of Holiday, Bullock or Boban, so I would expect one of those spots to go to an outside free agent. We could re-sign the best fit of the remaining three if they are interested in staying.

Ultimately, they are all here for trade bait. Our three options, along with Steven Adams, are $37M in expiring salary that can be used to facilitate a trade. That is their biggest value. When it comes to using Adams vs. Landale in a trade, I would rather hold onto Landale. Three years of team options at $8m per year while still getting decent production is another extremely valuable asset. Adams should be the one dealt if at all possible.

17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Forgot Nate Williams, Nate Hinton, Jermaine Samuels those guys I think will be gone

Dobbizzle and don grahamleone like this.
  18. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Jeff Green - I would pick up the team option and bring him back. I remember in the beginning, people were talking like he wasn't even gonna play, only to have him play significant minutes and more than that, play significant role in mentorship. I think actual playing time helps the effectiveness of his mentorship. I think he was a great pick up by Rockets last year.

Landale - I know we got Steven Adams but I would not waive him next year. We'd still not lock him in for more than a year (I think) so low risk in my opinion. Another injury could happen to Sengun (God forbid) and/or Adams, and Landale showed me just enough towards the end of the year. Of course he could be a trade piece.

Tate - I know he can be a piece on a serious team but I think it's time to move on. Waive

Holiday - I actually thought he was a great pickup. I know some people didn't like Holiday thinking he took too many shots and some shots away from our young guys. I thought he did great esp at the cost he came at. If he's open to another minimum, no brainer for me.

Bullock - Unsure. Wasn't great but was an experienced NBA player who knew when to shoot. At minimum, bring him back

Boban - everyone loves the guy but time to move on. Let him pursue his movie superstar career.

Another great post OP

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes.

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. Aruba77

I can’t lie. I still believe in Nate Williams and he’s the only G-league guy that I hope sticks with this team. Hard to see anyone outside of our 6 prospects and vets getting minutes though. Nate might be better off in Europe or Australia.