1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Way too much variability in his game to depend on him. His defense has gotten better, but he isn't at the point where if his shot is not falling that he is worth keeping in the game to do other things. There is no way he should be playing like this the last two games and expect a max contract. He needs to learn to contribute other ways, either draw fouls, get to the basket, rebound do something if the shot is not falling. Unfortunately its been 3 years, just don't understand it, its not like in March all he did was hit shots, he did everything right, so i dont understand the streakiness, never seen a player like this before.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you look at it from 40,000 feet, he shouldn’t be starting

if you look at his highs they’re amazing.

idk what you do with that but damn it’s frustrating to watch.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

12-54 from 3 in his last 7 games. Tonight he looked completely lost. His inconsistency is just off the charts.

I enjoyed the hell out of that March run but this dose of reality is probably the best thing to ensure he didn't get an extension this summer that could have really crippled the cap sheet going forward. It sucks his trade value is probably dropping again but I doubt Stone would have shopped him if he'd kept up that pace through the end of the season and carried us to the play-in.

Still seems like base case for him is as an instant offense off the bench guy with an outside chance at superstar and outside chance at washing out of the league in a few years.

Sonicbun8 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I don't think he'll ever have what it takes to be that consistent 25 go to guy/franchise player. That's fine. Those types are special players, it just takes a different mental focus and type of drive that I'm not sure he has.

NewAge likes this.
  7. MadMax

This **** happens repeatedly It’s exhausting.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

F*cking infuriating performance from Green. I know there are other factors but none bigger than your top scorer not showing up for what was supposed to be win #40.

How can you not beat a tanking team missing all its starters and on a 13-game losing streak? Everyone's defense sucked. Brooks was a nightmare offensively. Udoka's coaching was awful. 9 of the 10 rotation players were ready for summer vacation. If Jalen is out, then give more shots to Cam and Bari. Why is Brooks acting like he's Kobe in the 4th?

What a waste.

BallSoHarden and Ancient Moabite like this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's really REALLY hard to do what Jalen did throughout the month of March, and to STILL be at a point where you have nights like tonight where you even doubt if the guy needs to be traded instead of locked up on a long term contract.

This is just such a baffling player that I really don't understand it at all. I still think you try to get him on a team friendly deal but holy crap... Jalen Green is doing a better job than even the most trolling troll who hates Jalen could ever do in convincing me that he's not worth the risk.

Jalen Green only has himself to blame if he screws up a chance at a long term lucrative contract. You just cannot have nights like tonight, and call yourself a future superstar. Star players just do not have nights where they just decide they want to take the night off.... especially in Salt Lake City where all know there isn't a damn thing to do there the night before.

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

….what a disappointment. I really want this kid to just be a decent starting SG - he doesn’t have to be a superstar…just be a quality SG who can knock down shots when the opportunity arises…but this inconsistency in mindset and play is just not going to work out. I don’t think I have ever seen a player with this type of skill be so puzzling….there has to be something we don’t know here - depression, partying too much - not really sure, but this just isn’t normal.

11. MadMax

I’m out on him. I hope he proves me wrong because I’ll be 80 and he will have played for 3 other teams and I’ll still be a rockets fan. But I’m just so over it. How tf you show up like that tonite and just mail it in when you’re playing for a contract? Yeah he’s not Kobe or McGrady or on a tRaJeCtOry or any **** like that. Soft as ****

12. MystikArkitect

It's wild that there are folks in this fandom that have this "starting to get concerned" thing with Jalen.

13. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

As I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, the next year is about outcomes, performance, and results. If you play like a superstar consistently for the season, or an A, B, or C-grade player, you'll be paid the market value for the performance.

It's fair and nothing is given to you in this league, ask Fred VanVleet what he had to prove to accomplish what he had with less God-given potential.

Mentality and consistency separate great from good players, and HOF players from stars etc. People die for an opportunity to be an NBA all-star and have a max contract, this is the window of time for Jalen. It's on him, superstars give everything they have for it.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He probably thinks he's already got the bag after the 8 good games.

15. Ancient Moabite

When I said he was running on e/fumes some games ago... I still expected him to make 3 or 4 of his 7/8 attempts

But he just seems heavy footed as compared to earlier during that last month stretch

He is slow up the court with or without ball, even when he grabs a board he is not pushing at his high speed

Its almost like he got tricked into trying to be a PG and just looking to get a dime or hockey assist

Glad Ime sat him, he was playing like he was just happy to be out there

Or like he was too good for the jazz gleague squad, he been there done that(silly move if so)

But what would have been hella funny is that had he exploded, it would have been he shows up against scrubs from the anti, they won this round either side of coin

Young bull can't win

They need to get that 40th before season end

Bounce back last two games for the young bulls and the vets

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Last 7 games: 32.8 minutes, 15.7 ppg, 5.1 ast, 4.9 reb; 35.8//22.2//88//47.0 TS%

“Superstar”
    “max player”
    “22 great games” (increased from 8 to 11 to 15 to 22)
    “Trade Sengun”
    “Corner turned”
    “He’s just 22. Give him until he’s 32”

@Bobbythegreat

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, at least Jordan Poole became a champion before he pulled his crap in Washington.

BallSoHarden and NewAge like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

19. NewAge

NewAge Member

Also Poole got his money.
    I don’t know what Rockets are thinking at this point, but I sure as hell would NOT give him a bag for now. Re-visit next year.

Sonicbun8 and daywalker02 like this.
  20. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes, it is a bit different and unusual. Other players who carry a heavy offensive load tend to slack-off in the blue-collar tasks. This dude, when he was cooking offensively, he was giving effort, playing defense, crashing boards, etc… When he’s not ON, he just completely checks out.

Sonicbun8 and BallSoHarden like this.