1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have finally lost FAITH in Jalen, we need to trade him.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, Apr 6, 2024.

?

Should we trade Jalen this summer?

1. Yes! Trade Jalen and pick for Mikal Bridges

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. No! Keep the team intact and Jalen will play better.

46 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. Trade Jalen but for another STAR

47 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I don't mean as a pure replacement, just positionally. Frankly, if Green doesn't work out, then Amen is probably the guy to replace what Green does. I'm guessing our offense would focus on Sengun and Amen PNRs, etc., and you need good spot-up shooters for that system to work.

Strawberry Gum and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. Houston77

Supporting Member

So, you can't actually think of another "fluke" like Green's March. Figures. Go back and watch more basketball, then come back when you can actually support your arguments.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Really? Why would you double a mindless chucker who dominates the ball despite a weak handle, who doesn't see the floor very well, and is not a very good passer?

Seems obvious. You put pressure on that guy to make them chuck awful shots or make poor decisions.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

A Sengun Amen pnr will simply have two defenders just playing drop coverage lol.

harold bingo likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, they are just so common there's no point in pointing them all out. I'm pretty sure KPJ finished a few seasons here with amazing numbers in 7 or 8 games....turns out it meant nothing.

Lots of players have fluke hot streaks....so much so that they are hardly noteworthy outside of that fanbase. Players are judged based on who they are overall, not in a handful of fluke hot shooting games.

If you shoot 47% in 8 games, but you shoot 33% for that season, you are not a 47% shooter.

Think about that for a while and see if you can understand it.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Thompson is the most volatile of the 3, because he simply cannot shoot from the perimeter at this point. If he never learns to shoot, he will be a useful and valuable role player, but that is it.

I am not saying Thompson will be the best of those three, I really don't know - other than to say that IF he shoots, his upside is enormous. Green and Sengun have very high ceilings as well, but they are more of sure things. Green has played like an all star the second half of the season and Sengun played that way the first half.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. Houston77

Supporting Member

Lots of words, no examples. And it's pretty pathetic when you have to compare KPJ averaging like 25 points for a few games v. Green basically leading the NBA in scoring for a month. KPJ's second highest scoring game last season was 31 points. Green basically averaged that for a month. Sad, sad times.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

I also believe that after Sengun, Green and Amen there is a clear drop off in ceiling and even floor. For Amen, he separated himself from Bari, Cam and Tari because he has shown literal DPOY potential.

cmoak1982 and Nook like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, keep hope alive for as long as you can....but the fact that all you have to go on in 3 years of a player's career is a random 8 game hot streak is pretty damning.

10. fchowd0311

Jalen Green didn't just lead scoring for a month. Jalen Green led the entire NBA in on/off impact for a month ahead of guys like Jokic and Tatum.

In March, the Rockets had a -6 pt differential per game when Green was resting during a 12-2 stretch. The Rockets were literally a bad team during a 12-2 stretch when Green was resting. KPJ has never once in his career shown that level of impact.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  11. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Jalen Green is trash. Trade him and build around Sengun.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For a while now the Jalen Green fanbois have reminded me of Lin fans....now they have their own 8 game Linsanity to go on LOL.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Thompson is more explosive, more powerful and gets off the ground faster. He is also faster in the full court. That isn't to say Green isn't explosive (he very much is), and he is also very quick in the full court as well - Thompson is just better. Green is better from side to side, and he is better at the finesse part of it - although I will point out that Thompson after contact is pretty good as well.

Both are genuinely elite athletes at the NBA level - but there are some differences. Amen Thompson gets off the ground as fast as anyone I have seen since Dennis Rodman.

Also - I don't agree that the chances of Thompson getting to Green's level of handles is slim to none. Right now, Thompson's handle is comparable to Green in his first season and a half in the NBA. Thompson also has better court vision and played in a league where his handle didn't need to be as tight. We have seen Thompson's handle already improve through the course of the season.

I agree that Green has more dexterity and coordination - and that is reflected in his scoring numbers - but not so much in his passing. The same is true with Kyrie Irving.

Amen Thompson is playing the 4/5, because Sengun is hurt. He has played point this season and shooting guard. I don't see Green becoming the point guard. He can handle the ball a lot and he is a capable ball handler, but he is a scorer and not a passer first. He isn't Harden or even Luka - he is a scorer first and that is fine, that is what he is very good at.

Green is a consistent three point shot away from scoring 27-30 points a night - which is elite. When he hits his 3's, it opens up the middle of the floor and lets Green finish inside.

Amen Thompson will score 20 points a night if he can shoot 45% from 18 feet or 37% from 3 - and with high efficiency.

Some of all of this is the eye of the beholder - Green is like Deion Sanders and Thompson is like Bo Jackson.... both exceptional athletes, but different types of athletes. I am personally more impressed with the bigger athlete that can really move.

14. Houston77

Supporting Member

Lots of words, no examples. In a 15 game stretch between the end of February and March, Green averaged over 30 PPG, and did so pretty consistently in that he scored over 25 points in 11 of those games.

I'll make it easy for you -- give me another example of a player under 25 who averaged 28+ PPG over a 15 game stretch who went on to have a poor career. And don't give me your go-to overarching responses like "it happens all the time." CONCRETE examples. Even during "Linsanity," Jeremy Lin was averaging like 22 - 23 PPG.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

One player that immediately comes to mind is Brandon Jennings...I think he had a few 'hot streaks' in his career...

Here's an SI snippet about a hot streak that he had at some point during his underwhelming career:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/12220864/nba-analyzing-maturation-brandon-jennings

If Jennings could have been the player most of the time that he was when he was hot he probably would still be in the league or at least have played past 30.

But you're right, hot streaks aren't really all that uncommon. How you play over the course of a season or multiple seasons is what tells the story.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I pointed out to you before why that's dishonest, you are taking a streak that is in reality 8 or 9 quality games and diluting it to make it seem like a larger sample than it really was.

It's fine though, I don't expect honesty from people like you, enjoy your little Linsanity that will keep the delusion alive for a bit longer.

17. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Yeah I'm sure that's what it is...

If he's a mindless chucker let's double him and leave others open to shoot. That makes the best sense.

Not... he's a mindless chucker let him shoot all the bricks he wants and shut down the rest.

Big thumbs up Bob!

18. Houston77

Supporting Member

As I expected. Meaningless words, no examples.

19. Houston77

Supporting Member

lol a 25 year old Brandon Jennings scoring 30 points a couple of times is not the same as Green dominating the NBA for a month. Jennings only scored 30+ points 4 times that season. Green averaged 30+ points for 15 games.

Dobbizzle and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that's exactly what you do with a mindless chucker who has a weak handle that isn't much of a passer....

You pressure them to generate turnovers either by the chucker losing his handle or forcing a bad pass.....or he just chucks up a bad shot.

Welcome to basketball.