1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

We’re set at starting linebackers. DT and Safety I agree. And can always use depth

Amadeus Rooster and houstonstime like this.
  2. Housport

Housport Member

They may draft two linebackers. There is Azeez, Christian, and Henry starting. Azeez is an All Pro. Christian can develop into a really good LB. But, they need to to draft a LB to compete with Henry for the other starting LB position. The depth at LB is really bad. Neville was resigned recently again because they had an open roster spot for a LB. I believe there are only 6 Linebackers on the roster. Hansen, Hewitt, and Phillips are your backups.

3. Agmaniacmike

Agmaniacmike Member

Only way I'm taking a receiver is if one falls to pick 160 or so (trade up) that I consider a Day 2 worthy pick. A Javon Baker/Malik Washington type. Would also include Ainias Smith in that given his value as a potential backfield piece/returner.

I'd rather address defense and OL with most of the picks. RB class sucks, not worth wasting anything before 188 on. TE class is probably a tad underrated due to last year's class being so good, may be able to find value there. IOL/S class is deep enough to not need to use one of our 1st 2 picks on the position IMO.

Probably won't get mocked much for Texans drafts, but don't hate the idea of using a 3rd round pick on OT (Delmar Glaze/Kiran Amegadjie).

Ideal mock for me would probably be:
    42 Jer'Zhan Newton DT
    59 Edge Cooper LB
    86 Javon Bullard S
    123 Kiran Amegadjie OT
    127 James Williams LB or Ben Sinnott TE
    188 Likely trade up to get IOL Zak Zinter (lots of good IOLs mocked in 150 range)
    Last 2 picks that I doubt will be taken at 189/238/247 given late round draft pick movement : Ainias Smith WR/ Qwantez Stiggers CB

Wouldn't be surprised if all of those players are gone by Round 4, but I've mocked that exact type draft before, so just an idea. Newton would be a steal at 42, Fiske/Murphy would be fine there.

4. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

A receiver is still a must for me in this draft. Too many good ones. Diggs is only here on a one year deal..Nico about to get paid..We need another receiver.

BMoney and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Nick will likely use some of the Day 3 picks to move around in Day 2.

raining threes and Housport like this.
  6. raining threes

Dont want a WR early

Wouldn't be against drafting a WR late.

houstonstime likes this.
  7. raining threes

Would you use all of the 6th-7th rd picks to move the 4th rd picks into the top 100 or so picks and have a 5 man top 100 draft?

Shark44 likes this.
  8. raining threes

If you can get a difference maker at any of these positions at 2-42 or 2-59 you do it. Draft great players.

Guys I like in the 2nd

2-42 Cooper/P. Wilson/Sweat/Fiske
    2-59 Melton/Bishop/Nubin/Micheal Hall Jr.

If given choices

2-42 P. Wilson LB
    2-59 M. Hall Jr DT
    3-86 Christian Jones OT
    4-123 Gueredo RB
    4-127 Stiggers

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I’m guessing we have players we are targeting at each choice and if they are not there we’ll look to trade back. I’m just gonna trust in the Caserio/ DeMeco.

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Maybe. If it was me, I'd likely try to move #42 higher or #59. Early-mid 2nd has a lot of value. Still we need depth, so I think we'll make 6-7 picks depending on what opportunities unfold. Five in this Top 100 is tempting.

raining threes likes this.
  11. raining threes

Just an exercize in thinking like Caserio does about moving around in the draft.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I agree with this, and I cannot wait to watch our offense with this WR trio… but I’m also a tee or bit disappointed we aren’t gonna take advantage of one of the deepest WR classes ever.. I went from Brian Thomas/AD Mitchell to Legette/Franklin/Ladd/Wilson to honestly we don’t want to waste an early pick in a stacke receiver room.. guess I’d take a flier in Cowing/Mccaffery would be fun although that’s 5th maybe.. umm I dunno who is 6-7th, Isaiah Williams? Or that Cornelius guy could be cool to pair with Nico, they might have played together for a year.

sydmill and raining threes like this.
  13. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

With a one year deal for Diggs, WR should still be on the table. If there is someone you are high on like Keon Coleman sliding, I would have no problem drafting him. Taking a WR late to me is a waste. We already have comparable talent on the roster at WR and depth is not an issue.

panamamyers and houstonstime like this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Diggs is a 1 year deal. Nico is about to be owed a ton of money.

If they love a WR that falls to them they should take him. Either because they need to replace Diggs, or they don't want to pay Nico or both.

houstonstime likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/...st-buzz-rumors-news-prospects-risers-sleepers

Who is your favorite Day 3 sleeper?

Reid: Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State. After starting his career as a tackle at Cornell (2018-2021), Nourzad transferred to Penn State and spent most of the 2022 season at left guard (507 out of 549 snaps), starting eight games. But he really broke out once he moved to center in 2023. At 6-foot-3 and 317 pounds, Nourzad is feisty and gritty, creating quick wins at the first level with his movement skills and then connecting on blocks at the second level. Likely a zone-scheme center in the pros, Nourzad has the strength, agility and instincts to turn into a starter. He was one of the more impressive prospects that I saw at the East-West Shrine Bowl in January, and I have a late-Round 4, early-Round 5 grade on him -- but he can definitely outplay that draft slot.

Yates: Myles Harden, CB, South Dakota. I like cornerbacks who are disruptors, and Harden unequivocally fits that bill. Back in the 2022 season, Harden forced six turnovers over the first four games of the season (three interceptions, three forced fumbles) as a tenacious, confident, springy player who is excellent at the catch point. He has a ton of experience as a four-year player and ran a 4.50-second 40-yard dash at the combine, a good enough speed to fortify my belief that he'll find an immediate role for a team as a third or fourth cornerback. And Harden -- a top-150 prospect for me -- has the upside to develop into a larger role in time.

Miller: Michael Barrett, LB, Michigan. Two of the best games I watched this draft season of any linebacker were from Barrett: against Alabama in the College Football Playoff and his 2022 tape against Rutgers. In the latter, Barrett had two interceptions and took one back for a pick-six. Against the Crimson Tide, he was all over the field while recording nine tackles and a sack of quarterback Jalen Milroe. He was a two-down 'backer at Michigan and likely will be the same in the pros, but his instincts and playmaking ability are so much fun to scout. I have him in the Round 5-6 range.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/...-top-prospects-daniels-nabers-odunze-mccarthy

S Tyler Nubin to the Texans

Height: 6-foot-2 | Weight: 199
    College: Minnesota

Where Houston could get him: Pick No. 42

Nubin is an easy fit for DeMeco Ryan's defense given his coverage awareness, demeanor and ability to create production on the ball. In Houston, Nubin could run the alleys and play top down from split-field alignments, and he has the post instincts to patrol the middle third of the field as a center fielder. Nubin, who had 13 career interceptions for the Gophers, also has special teams upside on coverage units.

red5rocket likes this.
  16. Housport

Housport Member

Day 3 sleepers that I like

Jarrian Jones CB Florida State
    Chau Smith-Wade CB Washington State
    Zak Zinter G Michigan
    Jalen Sundell OT North Dakota State
    Marist Liufau LB Notre Dame
    Zion Tupuola Fetui DE Washington
    Maason Smith DT LSU
    Dadrion Taylor-Demerson S Texas Tech
    Dylan Laube RB New Hampshire
    Jaden Shirden RB Monmouth

J.R. likes this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm intrigued with Legette, but he's not ready to start yet. Metche needs to show something or the experiment has to come to an end. I still like Noah Brown, perhaps more than the FO since they let him test FA.

houstonstime likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Legette was my favorite choice early in the process. Originally it was between him and Brian Thomas at 23, but Thomas took a commanding lead on that and I was loving that Legette was falling and could be had by our 2nd pick.

Would still like a tall burner, over a slot guy, but I get the need for both.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

My $0.02.

I know you're not supposed to draft for need, but unless a no-brainer 1st round talent drops to 43, I think that you have to go DT, CB or Safety in the 2nd. Those are huge needs right now.

I hear the logic for LB but in today's NFL teams are playing their base defenses less than 20% of the time. The saying is that "nickle is the new base defense" which is true as it's played almost 60% of the time. Fact is that for the last few years, teams have played dime packages more than their base.

Since we're going to have only 2 linebackers on the field the vast majority of the time, then I'd wait till after we've addressed DT, CB and S before getting a LB.