1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

OKC also knows other teams are incredibly light on draft picks and that OKC is one of the few buyers. They aren't going to overpay. Look at the Rockets who probably are around 10th in draft capital due to so many teams being down picks, they don't want to deal 1-2 picks for a good starter because they won't have enough left for a star if one becomes available. The teams willing to deal 1,2 picks are either really good and already in a hole (i.e., the 1-2 picks are slightly better than early SRPs) or OKC.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure. OKC hoarding picks has made them more scarce. Until/if OKC unloads, it should make 1-3 picks more valuable.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Whatever they do is their business, I am only saying it looks like they will implode with those picks but basically you can just trade them for a package of future picks...

And kick the can down the road with trading 2 for 1 picks.......essentially what they have been starting doing.

I am actually turning to the Knicks who have the odds of acquiring an All Star caliber player.

For some reason the East are getting a lot more done on the Trade front since Damian Lillard.

MystikArkitect and DaDakota like this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Depends on who has the leverage. Knicks have better odds for guys that want to go to NY and dealing team has no power (basically, they are praying Mitchell forces his way there). Other than that, if the team has leverage, OKC is in the driver seat. On the East, their teams getting it done on the trade front is actually one of the reasons why the West is better. The East has been trading a lot of picks to the West for short term gains, but long term it just drains the East as the picks provide more wins even if a lot of them are busts/role players and spread out over more years. The vast majority of the East teams are down draft capital over their picks based on how good they are. Clippers, Lakers, Sun, and T Wolves are the only teams down in draft capital in the West off the top of my head. Probably missing a couple, but OKC, SA, Utah and NO more than make up for it.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Teams aren’t trading 1 FRP for 2 future FRP unless it’s heavily protected.

Make OKC fans aren’t even excited about those picks because they know Presti is jsut goin to draft some international draft right who most likely never will come over in their prime. Not to mention most of their draft assets are lottery protects and the one that aren’t are coming from Denver. I read on one of their forum that 2021 draft will forever haunt them because they could’ve gotten Green or Mobley but the odds weren’t with them. They have to pay giddey, SGA, and Jaylin Williams soon

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

OKC has 15 FRPs and 22 SRPs. They can certainly get more than just Lauri for that large of a draft pick cache. Even with having to potentially overpay, OKC has the brightest future if played correctly.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You realize the Knicks still own like 11 First rounders......

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, I am sure there are fans that wanted Mobley or Green, that is no surprise to me either. Attraction of something you do not have.

I am also not saying if you hoard picks you are going to get what you wanted ......I guess OKC can only prove themselves by beating teams.

But Presti does have a pretty good development record of young players.

9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Presti is a boss at what he does but he, just like a Morey still had to make moves under the umbrella of Les pockets, so does Presti under that ownership in OKC who still is not willing to do whatever it takes to win. And you can tell that fanbase is aware of it from the way they post. OKC is never involved in any trade rumors for stars and that’s be design because most media knows that ownership ain’t with that tax . No other team with draft capital has a more quiet trade front than OKC.

they don’t even want to pay Giddey and he’s at his lowest value and that’s Chet’s best friend on the team.

their fanbase know that they’re not goin to keep both Jalen Williams and Chet which doesn’t even make sense.

10. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Playing Devils Advocate, Luka says he wants out, does Dallas want 8 picks in two years or do they want a steady stream of picks? You’re the GM, do you take that package with Chet?

Personally I wouldn’t. I want a chance to have unprotected picks spaced out. I don’t think they can get anyone outside of the LaSmello, Whack Lavine, Jordan’s Poo category unless they are giving up Jalen Williams or Chet. Then again what do I know.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If a guy like Luka becomes available I doubt we have the ammo to compete with OKC for him. And that’s my big problem with the strategy of getting your franchise player on the open market. Sure we should try for a guy like that if he’s available, but I just wouldn’t count on the rockets being able to outbid everyone else without giving up too much. I think we need to focus on developing our guys and building a roster that maximizes winning. Loading up on assets to chase stars might not be the best strategy.

Easy and BaselineFade like this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

All it took was SGA improving and draft luck for Holmgren among some other things.

OKC is a well run org.

ThrillaNManilla and daywalker02 like this.
  13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Mikal Bridges post ASB:
    16.8ppg
    35.4 mpg
    4.5 rebs
    3.7 asts
    39.2 fg%
    36.0 3pfg%

Jalen Green post ASB:
    24.4 ppg
    33.5 mpg
    5.5 rebs
    3.3 asts
    46.5 fg%
    40.0 3pfg%

Mikal Bridges is a better defender but he's not doing that anywhere near his Phoenix Suns level. He's not able to carry the load on both ends.

The rockets probably wouldn't do a straight up Bridges for Green trade in the offseason if Jalen keeps it up, let alone include all the BKN picks.

BigMaloe, Joe Rocket, Aruba77 and 2 others like this.
  14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Bridges isn't even a good defender at the moment, he's average at best. He's living off of his reputation in Phoenix. Even in Phoenix he wasn't a lockdown guy. Crowder was the more tenacious one on one defender IMO, Mikal was just so much better on offense.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Interesting case study......historically speaking at some point in time they have spent over the cap.

16. MystikArkitect

Bright futures are paved by Top 10 players. That's pretty much where it ends. Their future is dependent on Shai (or Chet/Jdub) being that guy. Are they? I'm not sure. SGA has had a great season but would the Thunder be favored in a series vs the Lakers/Nuggets/Wolves/Clippers/Warriors? Or the Kings even? Sabonis, Jokic and Sengun are absolute nightmare matchups for them. As is AD and Zion.

I just dont buy it right now. Their shooting is unsustainable in the playoffs where it boils down to your best guy vs my best guy. Then your second best guy vs my second best guy. They are more likely to be a perennial second round exit with that core than a WCF contender. I will say that the team goes as far as Chet takes them. If he turns into a Top 10 player then their tank was successful.

We'll see but I'm more in the camp that thinks Presti overplayed his hand kinda like Morey did when the thought it a good idea to not have a center.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

33 pages later, I'm more undecided on what should be done with this year's Brooklyn pick.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

This years Brooklyn pick might turn out to be something solid. I'm not sure how reliable the tankathon lottery simulator is, but in the current 8th spot every 3 or 4 times I run it, we end up with a top 3 pick.

Again, not sure of it's reliability, but would be nice.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As you have made an argument solely based on quantity, do you realize OKC has more picks ((i.e., winning a solely quantity based argument) and a ton of swap options which will likely cause their owed picks to be better (winning quantity and quality)? I don't see OKC outbidding for players worth 1-2 FRPs, but if a star becomes available, they have the option to outbid everyone.

Also, of the Knicks 11 picks, I would not bet on Washington being rebuilt within the next year (i.e., the pick Washington owes that the Rockets once traded as part of acquiring Sengun that ended up as the Knicks likely won't convey as a FRP). So, I'd guess the Knicks have 10 picks...10.5 at most if you want to add thje most favorable odds on the Washington pick conveying.

#659 Joe Joe, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, yes, no, yes (depending on health which the TWolves aren't at the moment), yes, yes, yes.