1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shohei Ohtani betting scandal?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Radricky, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would not be the first dude to have a gambling issue.

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Thats a lot of “I”s in your thinking. The problem presented is about focusing on the CF community in this Astros/baseball section, following basic rules, and being courteous to others. My suggestion is to focus on being a good neighbor here.

If you want a suggestion about you, sorry, I don’t know you well enough to offer anything concrete. But there seem to be quite a number of people who have allowed politics to invade or serve as the framework for their every thought, and lack the governor to think through when and how to let that out. It’s a form of outrage addiction or something like that, and should be treated like other addictions.

But as for this baseball/Astros section, let’s just please be a good neighbor and discuss baseball.

4. plee

plee Member

Athlete money management, it's usually through an agent or manager is how they get money. I doubt the interpreter would have direct access to his money. So it's possible Ohtani didn't know anything about money transactions in this scenario. But it would require the agent/manager to be in on the take as well. Now if Ohtani actually let him have direct access to his money then it's on Ohtani for not keeping track of his money which brings more questions than answers. If he was just being a nice guy and helping him payoff the debt then why fire him. I would say I'm helping him seek consoling, etc...to get him back on his feet. Probably the worst option, Ohtani did have gambling debt and his friend is taking the fall but will there be enough people to keep quiet.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Has seppuku been mentioned as an honorable resolution?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He'd just defer 90% of it I'm sure

Snake Diggit and Xerobull like this.
  7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

This is why this excuse that he was stolen from makes zero sense. You’re telling me you gave your TRANSLATOR access to your accounts and allowed him to transfer $4.5M without your approval? Nah, story isn’t adding up.

everyday eddie and Rvo384 like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So like, a minor gastric bypass. Now he’s chiseled with a badass scar on his eight-pack from ‘you know, that one time I committed seppuku for my honor and stuff’

9. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Yeah, unless the interpreter was also moonlighting as Ohtani's money manager or had some power of attorney privileges, it seems virtually impossible that Ohtani was not directly involved. Or as you suggested maybe Ohtani's actual money manager was scheming with the interpreter, which should be pretty easy to figure out.

I'm betting my money on Ohtani being guilty of something. Any sports bettors taking bets?

10. Radricky

Radricky Member

They will probably argue he was misled by ippei and that’s why it’s labeled loan.

11. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Right. And this is going to end up being more than 4.5 million.

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I’ve seen very delicate, careful reporting about this, but when some anonymous idiot on Reddit or Twitter claimed that the Astros were relaying signs with buzzers, ESPN was playing Altuve’s ALCS home run trot on a loop.

everyday eddie, BigM, BMoney and 2 others like this.
  13. prs325

prs325 Member

Let’s see how good Ohtani is as a dodger

everyday eddie and Rileydog like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

IBTL and Radricky like this.
  15. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Did Ohtani suggest this deferred contract mess he signed because he knew he was screwed now and wanted to wait until down the road to get his money...

Radricky likes this.
  16. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Apparently, this who incident has been lost in translation

17. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Absolutely

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's oblivious about money because he came over and had to play on a rookie scale. The money he's getting early is pretty low, and his agent negotiated for him.

I'm not saying he doesn't have a gambling problem, I'm just saying the money isn't his biggest motivation.

19. ktex

ktex Member

This story is going to become very very interesting. I would love to see the holier than thou Dodgers lose their golden goose.

everyday eddie and Radricky like this.
  20. adoo

adoo Member

assuming that Jeff Fletcher did talk to Ohtani's former teammates; these former teammates don't know much about Ohtani.

as posted by others, Ohtani
    • knows about Kobe Bryant,
    • has been good friends w current Laker, who is a Japanese national, Rui Hachimura
    • has attended several March Madness games, including some when Hachimura was playing for Gonzaga University
    in addition, he recently married a profession woman basketballer in the Japansese woman's league,

[​IMG]

everyday eddie and lnchan like this.