1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He gave it to Verlander when he came back from TJ surgery. He would have given it again if it weren't for 40 million per over 3 years.

2. RussE

RussE Member

3. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I prefer Montgomery as well but Crane likes certain players and it seems like he likes Snell. Might be Snell or basically make a trade at the deadline. But all they need to do is remind Crane that Montgomery shut the Astros down last year in the playoffs and he was pretty consistent through out the playoffs.

The Beard likes this.
  4. RussE

RussE Member

Gerritt Cole got his 2nd opinion. No surgery. Out 10-12 weeks. Maybe that puts the Yankees out of the running with Snell.

5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would also like to read @Nook 's take on Snell. We have heard that Crane likes high ceiling talent.

I prefer Montgomery:
    1) 3 consecutive seasons 150+ IP w/ ERA under 4
    2) improved IP, ip/gs, and ERA 3 cons. years
    3) is a target of Rangers
    4) does not have QO attached.

Snell:
    1)in 7 years never pitched 130+ innings except his two CY Young seasons.
    2) Has 4+ ERA in 3 of his 7 seasons.
    3)Has QO attached.

6. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Pretty convincing.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its no surgery for now. He's going to rest 4-8 weeks. Then start throwing again. If there is any flare-up or re-aggravation of the soreness, he'll likely then get surgery.

My guess is that there's a minor/partial tear. Yes, it can heal... but as soon as he ramps it up again, who knows what happens.

RussE likes this.
  8. Radricky

Radricky Member

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

love me some Copernicus

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Crane is down with spending, Snell is the guy I want. Innings don't concern me. I'd rather take a chance on absolute brilliance over consistency as Astros will likely have some good arms in the postseason already.

Snake Diggit and Radricky like this.
  11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Wow how do you know all this crazy stuff? Always going out on a long limb and today is no different.

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I love both Copernicus and Copper-Nickels.

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

You mean like the current state of the Astros?

Right now, they have a better rotation than Houston.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You are right. RIGHT NOW but by the time the post season gets here the Astros could gain Verlander, McCullers, and Garcia. If even 2 of those guys are back I will take the Astros.

But I was responding to a post that said the Mariners are LOADED with pitching.

They aren't.

They have 3 very good starters and 2 MOR guys and no 6th starter.

They have 1 dominant reliever, 3 good relievers (2 of whom are currently hurt) and several guys no better than Stanek.

They have excellent top end pitching talent but no depth and any injury to a top 3 starter or top 3 reliever will hurt them more than most.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

This isn't 2021 anymore and the Mariners staff is only going to get better.

The only Astros pitcher with some sort of consistent success and a track record sans an aging Verlander is Framber Valdez. That's really it.

You can hope for some sort of production from the oft-injured Garcia and McCullers. The guy who many thought would eat innings is now done for the foreseeable future, Urquidy. Hunter Brown is a bit of a Wild Card with 155 innings pitched last year, but even then he showed signs of fatigue later in the year. Javier took a step back last year and unless he rebounds... that's also an unreliable arm.

So yes, when comping this staff with the Mariners early in the year it's an issue. Astros can't afford to fall behind early in the standings which is why the reports of Snell make sense. Astros know...

I think it's time to start noticing what's happening in Seattle. Might be forreal this time, they are better than their 2022 team.

16. Yordan The Great

Crane loves Snell.

Snell is going to be an Astro within a week's time.

17. Yordan The Great

Blanco needs to come up with another solid outing today and solidify that 4th/5th spot in the rotation.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Nook

Nook Member

This is an exaggeration.

The Astros are and have been doing their due diligence on starting pitching…. The pen and the outfield market.

This makes it sound like the Astros were heavily shopping. They have been monitoring the market to see if they can get a really good deal… but they were doing that with an outfielder too. Adam Duvall was close to being an Astro until the Braves made the same offer.

Hard to hear much on Snell, as far as what he is thinking or doing. I know the Mariners have been keeping tabs on him too. All I have heard is from an Astros source that Snell expected to get a massive deal after a second Cy Young, and is surprised that he has been scrutinized as much as he has.

This part is just my opinion, but I believe the Astros would be open to Zimmerman too- but he has more suitors than Snell now. Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees, Rangers and others all are in on him.

If Snell does a 1 year with 2 option years, I think he goes to Giants or M’s…. But that’s just my opinion

ryan_98 and J.R. like this.
  20. Yordan The Great

Loperfido is a lock at the point. Just pencil him in. Insurance in case Meyers decides he wants to bat .225 again this season.