1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think that's correct.

First of all, why are they tanking? If this guy's impact was as big as everyone proclaimed it would be, why are they losing so badly all the time?

If anything, the fact that they are tanking leads to Wemby being allowed to do whatever the hell he wants. I don't think a team that actually wants to win would let this guy jack up over 5 threes a game. He would probably have to play in a more disciplined way, which would likely affect his counting stats...downwards.

#13201 AroundTheWorld, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    Patience likes this.
  2. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

[​IMG]

3. maypk

maypk Member

lol. I can see why some of the Turkish Sengun fans misunderstand Ime and react negatively since there are lots of them and there's a huge language barrier for some of them, but I couldn't quite understand why a diehard and loyal Houston Rockets fan whose native language is English misunderstands (or prefers to misunderstand) Ime.

harold bingo and Tempington like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i honestly think it’s a myth.

5. Tempington

Tempington Member

Not only once or twice... spinning naratives whenever possible.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I do think the hype for Wemby is a little overblown--if he was as incredible as the media has been making him out to be the Spurs would have a better record. Rookie LeBron carried a comparable, maybe even worse, Cavs team to 35 wins as a rookie from 17 the season before.

But at the same time I still think a healthy Wemby will be a top 10 player in the league, and probably soon. Whether he will be more like a taller, slightly better-shooting version of Anthony Davis, or a true MVP contender, I'm not sure yet.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't think it is - there are quite a few guys on Twitter and here who clearly hate on our best player. I don't know if you have someone like @rocketchamp on ignore, but if you read his posts, how can you say it's a myth?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I have rocketschamp on ignore but I don’t think it’s because of Sengun hate. I can’t remember. And as far as Twitter, I haven’t logged onto my account in almost 10 yrs because I find it cyber diarrhea.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with what Ime said whatsoever.

Twisting Ime’s words, injecting their own agenda/bias to get a rise out of Sengun fans, and then turn around and cry about big mean “SOFs”, is the type of galaxy brain social media engagement farming that deserves a hand. Clap clap.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Some agenda-less fact based discourse still exists, though not quite as engaging as ABSOLUTE TERROR ON DEFENSE WITHOUT SENGUN

Squeaking out a 2 point win vs one of the worst teams in the nba is equivalent to the Super Bowl for some if it can fuel their agenda. Crushing the same team with Sengun putting up generational, historic numbers? Does not compute.

#13210 CXbby, Mar 13, 2024
    BamBam, clutchdabear, maypk and 6 others like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this guy gets it.gif

12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The spurs are so bad because they only play Wemby 25 minutes per game. Last time I looked it up their net rating was -2 when he's on the court at -14 when he sits. He's also shooting like 38% from 3 in his past 40 games, the reason his percentage looks so bad is he shot about 20% in his first 20 games. Wemby is absolutely incredible and imo has lived up to the hype. He looks like a guy who is going to win multiple MVPs and multiple championships if he can stay healthy. Guys with his body rarely do, though, so we'll see.

TheJet likes this.
  13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

This is the best description of soh actually.

And 'I hate the sof, they are the worst' crowd quite coincidentally has nothing positive to say about sengun either. It is just a convenient diversion for them. Posters who like sengun hardly ever complain about sof, even if they are not fond of the crowd.

14. conquistador#11

And while Udoka made it seem like they were switching more without Alpi. They still kept Dillon on Wemby for a large portion then Jabari took him in the 4th. The Sochan willingly got to the paint. "There is no paint protection with Sengun out." -Ryan Hollins. I was like what.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Spurs are not really good, there was a lengthy stretch when Wemby was not on the court and Vassell and Co were just below average or mediocre.

Like the Rockets they lack shooters....and to add to that they lack perimeter defenders.
    They have an ugly Offense as well...and even worse.

• They remind me of the Rockets without Sengün, Fred Van Vleet, Dillon Brooks and Jabari Smith Jr.
    • Keldon and Vassell can score and Tre Jones is decent at passing but none of them are such difference makers.
    • I do not think Pop is at his A Game in recent years either.
    • Cedi Osman is like the Energizer bunny for them off the pine.

#13215 daywalker02, Mar 13, 2024
    tagedieb likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Does anyone actually think that Landale or Jabari Smith are better at paint defense than Sengun? Or that Landale is somehow better at switching/quicker than Sengun?

maypk and conquistador#11 like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

LOL the responses.

clos4life and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

A “SOF”, presumably, are fans of the player only, to the detriment of the team and his teammates. As in, root for Sengun’s numbers over team wins, root against his teammates that are “stealing his shine”.

I’m not sure if that is prevalent on twitter, I only follow the bigger accounts, who are all Sengun AND Rockets fans, with the notable exception of one. (To each his own)

I do know that it is nonexistent here. When they say SOF here, they mean you, me, @AroundTheWorld or anyone who dares to point out obvious biases like the ABSOLUTE TERROR ON DEFENSE last game. The funny thing is most people here sees through the BS. It’s like, okay you don’t like the archetype, that’s a fair criticism let’s see how it goes with that. But you pushed the agenda too hard where everyone sees through it now and it’s become a running joke. I guess we are all SOFs now.

AlperenSengun and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

"Best ability is availability" and all that. If he can't play more than 25mpg that still factors into his overall value as a player. And I fear he will always be on varying forms of load management as they try to keep him healthy.

harold bingo likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He has been playing just under 29 minutes per game.