1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka after Alperen Sengun knee, ankle injuries + Rockets win in Sacramento

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Udoka going to start Jeff or Jock in place of Sengun?

3. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

I sure hope it is NOT an ACL or MCL

AroundTheWorld and saleem like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Should have load managed him.....wish him well.

roslolian and HardenReturns like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

never seen coach sudoku this devastated before.

IBTL likes this.
  6. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

32 mpg is pretty solid load management for a 21 year old star with Alpi’s conditioning and flexibility. That was just a freak accident the way he landed.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he had some back issues that were not disclosed and he fought thru flus and illnesses .....

In totality I think there were things that were not reported/or only hinted at but he always made the Game Time Decision......

It is very natural to rest players .....but for someone like Udoka likely not as much.

Basically what you missed out is to get a back up Center that could spell Alpe more minutes and while he could still sprain his ankle and hyperextend his knees......

• You would still feel that you have done the most to protect him....and Stone did not this deadline.
    • And that you have done what is needed at a minimum with Steven Adams but not go the extra mile to protect your starters.......that will always stick....
    • People just forgot how clumsily the Rox handled the Tari situation playing him with that growth that they found out very late....but that is just me.

#7 daywalker02, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jock Landale exists and is already playing well. We also have Jeff Green and Jabari who can play center as well. We got Steven Adams incoming next year.

There's enough guys to play backup C it was a coaching decision not to rest Sengun.

dawesome likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jeff G will start. Landale lost ime's trust and has to earn it back.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I know it's all doom and gloom but just like when FVV went down this could be a chance for other guys to step up.

I've been vocal on Sengun getting shut down before he got hurt....well now he is hurt. Fortunately Landale looks much recovered and with Alpi out Im sure Jabari will be more involved in the offense. The paint will also be more open for JG drives. Most importantly the remaining schedule is easy, only a couple bad matchups left.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are injuries.

And there are injuries that happen to the Rockets at the most inopportune times.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think and hope he’ll be ok. I don’t know if there’s any sense bringing him back even if the injuries are not serious. If your knee and ankle are compromised and you rush it, you will stain something in your back or other leg.

Unless we miraculously make the playins without him (who knows, Warriors may be without Steph for a while) I think he’s done his part this season. Get well Alpi, that was a tough one. However I think his elite flexibility and agility may save him from very serious injuries.

13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Man let it go. It was a fluke accident. It happens. Has nothing to do with the coach. You said to rest him due to his back. Just a heads up... It's a leg injury. They're playing these games to win. To possibly get into the post season. Do you think for a millisecond that Alp would have wanted to rest? C'mon man.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

There was never a reason to shut down Sengun or any of the young players. He's 21, still has a lot of developing to do. This was one of the better games for all the young guys playing together.

If you're tanking, the only real player to shut down is Fred.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

This was not a repetitive strain/shut him down to avoid aggravating an existing injury type of thing, this was a freak occurrence, a horrible landing on a jump. You don't shut guys down to prevent stuff like this from happening--young guys need to play to develop, and when you play basketball, stuff like this is always a risk you have to live with. It sucks, but no reason to blame the coaching staff.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Any update about Sengun?

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

...and Dillon. Oh wait...

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

I was responding to a dude who blamed Stone for not getting a backup C. The decision to play Sengun with a sore back is indeed up to the coach, see Wemby getting a minutes restriction.

19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'm disappointed with that press conference. One of, if not your best player just got hurt and left the arena in a wheelchair and all you get is one question from the local media and a 35 second brush off the coach?? I know Udoka can't say anything concrete regarding the injury until Alpi gets thoroughly checked by the team Doctors, but his response seemed rather nonchalant. If he would've said something like, "this was a huge win for us, BUT, at the moment we are more concerned with Alpi's injury! He's one of our key players who has a bright future in the league and we are really hoping that the injury isn't as bad as it looks on video"... Instead we get this
    [​IMG]

I wasn't sure before, but this press conference seriously makes me think that Udoka and the organization don't view Alpi with the same potential as some of us do.... OR Udoka knows more about the injury (not serious) than what he's leading on....

NO, I'm not a SOF, but I do view Alpi/Tari/Amen/Cam as the successful core of the Rockets!!! And I'd hate to see any of these four derailed by a injury!!!

Go Rockets!!!

Ankara1923 and maypk like this.
  20. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Ok, but you immediately brought up your post when he got hurt and it had zero to do with his back. Just my opinion.