1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happened to Dillon Brooks Game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 11, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Earlier in the year, even when DB was shooting better, I noticed he just didn't seem to have a huge impact on winning. The energy always picked up when Tari and others came in the game.

On offense, he doesn't really help the team unless he's taking and making 3s. He doesn't have a handle and can't make plays. He doesn't really rebound either. And, that's actually the best case. As others have said, he's prone to try to do too much especially when teammates aren't being efficient or aggressive enough.

He's a bit like Eric Gordon where he can have ok numbers after an otherwise forgettable performance.

On defense, he's solid but has the tendency to gamble and he doesn't have the athleticism to recover like Tari/Amen.

I think he's probably the best trade candidate on the roster when you weigh importance to this team with actual value to other teams. I think a team with hopes to contend next year would give up some draft capital for him.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

maybe hes still hurt.

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

When can he be traded??
    Asking for a friend…….

5. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Same as it ever was

StroudAndYorDaddy likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Other than the World Cup and the November and December months, he has been hurt his whole career.

Easy, DreamShook and Imanimal like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has always been a wackadoodle, and inconsistent - his job in Houston is about over with the emergence of Amen - might be traded this offseason.

DD

8. Germanturk

Germanturk Member

Thats what the most Houston Fans asking for! What happened with Dilon Brooks. Since he is not playing like the early season, Houston lose more games then they win. I think DB is a big factor, why Houston is in this situation.

StroudAndYorDaddy likes this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

The reality is that the best defensive player on the team and quite honestly one of the best in the entire league is Amen Thompson. I’ve posted in the past about my issues with his outside shot, but he is nothing short of amazing on the defensive end and has 1000% more basketball iq than Brooks. If Brooks doesn’t get out of his offensive slump by year-end, then I’d switch their roles next year. Best case scenario, we trade for a star small forward and have a bench of Adams, Eason, Brooks, Cam, and Amen!!! Imagine trying to score on that group!!!

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely killed us tonight…. KILLED!!!

12. JW86

JW86 Member

Amen has already shown he can handle Brooks job. Brooks was an okay signing but the length of that contract looks really bad, especially now. Hope he leaves sooner than later. A 20 million guy off the bench who will never accept that role is just not good to have around.

Easy likes this.
  13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

When he’s not making his shots, he becomes a non-factor despite trying hard on defense.

He’s just running around doing nothing, man

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

He also is one of the worst transition players we have in terms of not giving up the ball and/or making the wrong read (Aaron Holiday and Jae’sean are the other two) and it’s really frustrating for him to be looking for his shot again and again when there are better options and he just doesn’t have it

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Reserve my comment for the offseason but I agree, not that hot on Dillon recently either, he was a great contributor though in certain games.

Roomba likes this.
  16. PeppermintCandy

This is kind of a random thought, but Brooks and Smith were the two guys I thought played the most intense D this season, and the ones who got the tough defensive assignments. And they're the two guys who seem to be losing steam as the season comes to a close. (Though Brooks more than Smith.) I think it's just tough to play that way night in and night out.

Easy, fattz and daywalker02 like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For sure, that quad injury was something that also influenced his play.

He is a strong player but IMHO is not really smart on Offense and sometimes Overall.

PeppermintCandy likes this.
  18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It really started to hurt us when he was bricking open shots. It just validated the mavs' plan to double Jalen.

it's actually a little pathetic for a team to consistently come up short when a perimeter player is doubled.

You should be able to score when it's 4 on 3 below the 3pt line.

I think we should have played Cam with the starting lineup more.

gfab-babyboi and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  19. conquistador#11

Refs let him do more grabbing in Memphis. If he can't get physical, it takes away from his game.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  20. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Luka was gonna cook us and we switching him off Luka anyway I wanted Cam in ASAP also