1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets would be dumb to let Houston sports media/Blogs influence them into trading Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's been silence from his fanbois, that's what I meant. Of course it wasn't silence from Rockets fans, they were understandably frustrated with a guy who has gotten by on draft position for years being awful at basketball.

cml750 likes this.
  2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

You’re what they call a fair weathered fan. Either support him or not but don’t give us this glass half full write up. I support him because he is our ONLY legit scorer next to Sengun and without him we’d struggle to get 100 points in a game. Like it or not, he has improved dramatically on defense and rebounding this season (was horrible at that under Silas).

rocketchamp likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I really don't care what you were called before.

No good game for Jalen will make you not criticize him is my point. Every player has singular bad decisions made every game.

DasouthDakota and Bo6 like this.
  5. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This forum is full of people who pretend Jalen is keeping us from being a top tier team this year. The kid is inconsistent but obviously very talented. Folks should let it play out and stop spending so much time hating on one guy when the team itself is inconsistent. The team is watchable now after years of not being. We have a good coach and a young core with potential. Let the front office sort it out and enjoy the progress the team has made.

TAB, cbass, majicdonjuan and 7 others like this.
  6. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

7. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Its not pretending its the truth. I dont hate Jalen I wanted us to draft him but he is wildly inconsistent and inefficient. Will he be better in the future? I dont know. Most advanced stats and a lot posted here show that if we had someone productive in that same spot taking that many shots we'd be a clear playoff/ play in team. Not sure why you think its so far fetched lol Its not personal its just the truth. The better your most used players are the better your team is. Its literally common sense. The Rockets are good defensively but they have guards who cant shoot and the main one is Jalen. Basketball isnt some mystery the better you play the more successful your team is.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

After nearly 3 years of awful, it takes significantly more than a good game against what was essentially a G League team to change hearts and minds.

This was supposed to be the year Jalen makes a leap and becomes a quality player, that didn't happen. We can enjoy the few fluke games, but I think we all realize that the Jalen Green experience needs to come to an end.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Mmm, more like “this is what I’ve noticed.” But sure.

10. marinara

marinara Member

Will be amazing to see when his 25 if his on another team the reaction on this place

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's a strange post because of your first and last sentence.

Literally every stat known to man proves that the team would have made even more progress if Jalen wasn't there.

Kind of proving those people right you complain about in your first sentence.

Now I know you said 'top tier team' to give you an out. No one is saying the Rockets without Green would be battling for #1 in the West. They are however correct in their assumption that the team would be better without Green, regardless of how thin or wide that gap is from the current iteration with Green, it's still true.

cml750 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The time they invested in KPJ and Green, it is definitely a waste..........you cannot get that time back.....

You could only hope that Green is not a distressed asset and get something back in return.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Jalen Green were to average those numbers and the same defense for 70% of the season that would make him a top 5 scorer and top 10 player already. He would be averaging over 30ppg on good efficiency.

So you’re telling us here that if he were an all nba 3rd team player or if he were to average 25ppg at age 22 you’d not be interested in retaining him.

Do you understand that’s an insane opinion?

Believe It! and majicdonjuan like this.
  14. cml750

cml750 Member

During his bad play, which was most of the season, it was statistically proven he made every single player on the team worse. Would we have been a top tier team without him? Doubtful, but we definitely would have a better record and may be challenging for the play in. Now Jalen is following his same pattern of playing better at the end of the season. Assuming he keeps it up, If that gets anyone interested enough to make a nice offer then they should jump on it. If not, they should see how he starts off next year. If he starts off playing like he is now or better then they should start trying to extend him. If he starts off bad like normal, he should have limited minutes based on performance merit. Then try again to move him at the deadline or the most likely scenario, let him go into restricted free agency and only match team friendly deals. Jalen's future is up to Jalen. All we need is for him to continue playing well which includes keeping it up next season too.

Joe Rocket and JeffB like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I can't agree with this part of your post.

If he's not part of the future not trading him and just allowing him to expire and walk away for nothing is like not selling a stock that's lost 80% of its value and is a week away from filing bankruptcy.
    You might not get your initial investment back, but you do get something which is more than nothing.

I'd really hate to be in Stone's shoes having to decide what to do with Jalen. His problems mostly stem from poor shooting, if he ever figures out how to shoot, he's going to be a very valuable player - If not, he's going to be what he has been the last 3 years - inefficient and inconsistent.

You can't give that guy a max extension .... I don't think there is a single team out there that would.

IF your plan is to keep him, you have to go thru the process of RFA and let the market dictate his value and if a team offers more than you are willing to pay, work out a sign and trade instead ... otherwise you match and are content with market value.

Then there's the plan where you know he's not part of your future - Realistically you have between now and next years deadline to extract whatever value is there.

I think we need a thread with poll options for each of the potential contract values he can end up with and see what the majority feel is fair value.

Vet min
    BAE
    Mini-MLE
    Full MLE
    Cap space above the Full MLE but lower than the max
    25% max

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Some comps from this past offseason:

Aaron Nesmith - 3 years $31M
    Coby White - 3 years $36M
    Josh Green - 3 years $41M
    Donte DiVincenzo - 4 years $47M
    Austin Reaves - 4 years $56M
    Devin Vassell - 5 years $156M

IMO Vassell had a better third year than Jalen and it's not close. The question is how much you weigh potential. I think right now the most I'd offer would be something like what Reaves got, and even that might be too much.

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think it’s insane to expect that from a #2 overall pick. This team needs that kind of performance from someone. Since they aren’t getting it from the player they thought they would get it from and invested heavily in, it’s time to find a replacement.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

No one thinks that we would be top tier without Jalen.
    But what many do think I believe is that we would be a better team without Jalen or him in a different role.
    People spend so much time on Jalen because he is the weakest starter by far.
    Its the most natural thing in the world in team sports to identify its weakest link.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

All but the last one on the list is all or some portion (most) of the MLE .... and that's equal(ish) to what he earns this year and next ~$14m.

OremLK likes this.
  20. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The last 3-5 games is a fluke? The defense is there