1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun’s Free Throws

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Mar 7, 2024.

1. maypk

maypk Member

He made 2 clutch free throws against the Jazz and he made 5 of 6 clutch free throws against the Suns.

The problem is not his clutch FT shooting, the problem is his overall FT shooting. When you are a bad FT shooter, you are more likely to miss FTs, it doesn't matter if it's a clutch FT or first FT of the game.

He definitely needs a new and quicker free throw routine and I think the Rockets staff should address that in the offseason.

Rinaldi and RudyTBag like this.
  2. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

It was one of his selling points on how he could eventually become a decent to good shooter. So far the FT shooting didn't carry over, but we will see. He is still young so anything can happen

3. MystikArkitect

Focusing on Sengun's free throws in a game where he had a 20/20 triple double is certainly a take.

Antares and OremLK like this.
  4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's been a recurring problem. He has missed free throws in the last minute of at least three games that would have put us ahead or tied it (first Clippers game, Cleveland, Brooklyn come to mind). Last night we probably would have lost anyway lets face it, but it is something he has to improve on, especially late in games where his percentages drop.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I think that he is going to get over 75% from the line over the next few seasons. He has focused on different parts of his game every off season since coming over to the NBA. He has said earlier in the season that he intends to really work hard on his shooting this next off season. The ability is there for him to become at least an average NBA 3 point shooter and a solid free throw shooter - he does that and his game is REALLY going to open up on the offensive side... like he would definitely average over 25 a night with a minimum of 7-8 assists a game.

OremLK and RudyTBag like this.
  6. topfive

topfive CF OG

He didn't stop, he's now talking to the rim instead of the ball. I'm guessing he finally figured out that the ball wasn't listening.

I wonder what his ball-talk/rim-talk splits are.

rcketsfan1 likes this.
  7. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Then they call me foul mouthed.

8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

The problem is the same with his shooting in general, he's a feel player. He would probably gain consistency by tightening up his mechanics.

Imanimal, tagedieb and Old School74 like this.
  9. conquistador#11

It took Dream about 6 seasons to go from 61% shoot 76%.
    It took Kidd 5 seasons from a not so Nice 69% to 79.
    Same with Karl Malone.

The progress has to be gradual. 75% for next season. 78% in two more.

Antares and RudyTBag like this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My guess is that Alperen’s clutch FT% is around, wait for it, 71%…

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Just another Inanimal panic driven thread. He will continue to work and improve on his weaknesses,just like he has every off-season. He didn’t have the flamingo last year. He introduced it this year and is really good at it. Young players do choke a lot.

Antares and Old School74 like this.
  12. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Is it when the two free throws he choked on cost us the game and that has happened multiple times in the last minute (or seconds) of games?

13. MystikArkitect

Yeah. Go touch grass.

Antares likes this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's about 10 percentage points less I believe. I saw a tweet about it earlier but I can't find it now smh.

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

also pinpointing the loss to the two fts in a game where Sengun is +2 in more than 42 minutes. yes he should have gone +10 so that we wouldn't be able to lose the game in the remaining 6 minutes.

If you need your 21 year old center to have a perfect game to win, you'll lose a ton of games for sure. Who played well at the end of the game? FVV entered the gae with 7 minutes left and went for 2/6. Green had 1 to and 1 missed stepback shot. Your sg created 0 points. the rockets simply doesn't have the talent and experience to win such a game against a team like the clippers, especially when they are hitting their shots.

16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

mfastx likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

AlperenSengun likes this.
  18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Yeah, not just the elbows. He plays very physical and played 42 minutes on a back to back. Not too surprising that he gets gassed at the end.

19. maypk

maypk Member

Now that people talk about clutch free throw shooting, I just realized that as bad of a free throw shooter as Sengun has been (63.4%), he's still somehow a better clutch free throw shooter than Jabari (55.6%) and Jalen (60%). lol.

20. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I would take Jalen 10 out of 10 times when taking game ending free throws over Alpi, but I would take Alpi 10 out of 10 times over Jabrari with the game on the line. Alpi is a future superstar, but with that responsibility comes the need to step up and make freebies to win games as the star of the team. Let’s hope he gets there someday because right now, he’s the second to last guy (only ahead of Jabrari) I want on the free throw line for a freebie to win a game. Good news is that he is not a choker like Jabrari when outside the free throws at game ends….so I know he has it in him to eventually be the 80% guy he was in Turkey.