1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun’s Free Throws

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

For as great a player as Alpi is…..he sure sucks at free throws. He has cost us multiple games this year by not making vital free throws at the end of games. Very frustrating too watch his excellence throughout the game only to see him throw it all out the window by consistently choking on his free throws. Team needs to hire a free throw coach or something to fix this chronic and costly issue.

harold bingo and albuster like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is one of the Aspects that he will never be Jokic because Jokic came in as a rookie and shot 81-82% from Charity stripe.

Joker was just a decent shooter in progress.

You find ways around FT shooting and find that 2nd Super star.

3. Holybats

Holybats Member

He has a 81 % FT in Turkey. It is either mental or physical issue.

albuster likes this.
  4. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Dude, do you remember like three months ago when he used to legit talk to the ball before taking each free throw? He explained in interviews that he said different things to it each time depending on how the ball had been behaving so far in the game. At least he has stopped that foolishness now and just whispers into space but still . . .

I'm looking for a much more professional 'I deserve to be here' attitude from Alpi next year given that he's proven himself as the team's best player. I would hope that includes a much more streamlined free throw shooting routine.

Thanks for hitting my pet peeve with Alpi!

theDude likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am sure he is not that bad, shooting a lot in close games is what will train him.......for later....

In the meantime you just have to find ways to make more 3 point shots.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wilt was bad at free throws. Dwight was bad. Shaq was bad.

Alperen consistently hovers at almost precisely 70%.

Hakeem Olajuwon career FT%: .712
    Alperen Sengun career FT%: .711

Giannis: 66%
    Sabonis: 69%
    Zion: 69%

Yes. We would all cream If Alperen got up to 75+%...

Patience, Melik, EErrNN and 4 others like this.
  7. Sengun

Sengun Member

I think the most important reason why he constantly misses especially at the end of the games is his fatigue. Sengun fights a lot physically and you can see how gassed he is at the end of the games.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

This is something he needs to improve on for sure.

Melik, albuster, BamBam and 1 other person like this.
  9. a time to chill

Sure, a free throw coach will solve this problem. Rockets also need a fade away shot coach to ensure his Flamingo shot goes in with more consistency.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't remember dream missing any in the clutch though

Patience, kubli9 and Astrodome like this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream’s first 6 years he was a 68% FT shooter. From years 7-13 years he jumped to 76%…

Would love to see Alperen make a similar leap next year. 75%+ would be amazing.

Alperen has a lot of responsibility right now and he is learning and processing a lot. I am not terribly worried about the free throws.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bro i’m just saying imo you miss 2 straight FT’s in the clutch that’s a case of nerves as opposed to skill

Patience and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Fun fact.... Dream was 24-25yrs old his third year in the league, Alpi is 21. No, not saying that Alpi doesn't need to improve on his FT or that given some time he will improve at all, just putting some perspective on the Hakeem-Apli timelines.

I'm not a shooting coach, so I'm not sure if it's mechanical/mental thing, BUT HE DOES NEED TO IMPROVE!!

Regardless,
    that 23/19/14 with 2 steals stat line is a thing of beauty!!

[​IMG]

Go Rockets!!!

DeBeards, AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  14. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Am I the only one shouting at the TV to “Bend Your Knees!” He often shoots his free throws flat footed and it seems correlated with misses.

15. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

That’s great information…didn’t know he shot over 80% in Turkey. Seemed like his rookie year he was decent at free throws and it has gotten worse over time. He’s a clutch player when given the ball at the end of games so long as he doesn’t get fouled. Classic case of wanting it soooo much that the extra time of a free throw gets in his head mentally.

cml750 and BamBam like this.
  16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Normally I’d agree with that theory, but his other parts of the game (minus the free throws) are still excellent at the end of games. He still makes all his other shots at the end in the same manner as the rest of the game. It is almost assuredly a mental thing of trying too hard. He’s young and we can all hope he eventually gets better with the free throws. Not sure if pausing to talk to the ball may be hindering his mechanics and that is why I suggested hiring a professional free throw coach. Another poster mentioned that he doesn’t bend his knees enough. Hakeem has helped him with his moves, so maybe someone like Calvin Murphy could help him with free throws.

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It’s not just him thiugh. The core 6 tend to miss free throws in the clutch. Jabari is an 80% shooter but he misses free throws in the clutch similar to senguna d has also cost us games . We lost the spurs game because he couldn’t ice the game. And almost lost the Knicks game because he couldn’t bothered throws.

It’s frustrating but I attribute it to growing pains. It’s nothin worse than free throw anxiety at the end of games.

Patience and pippendagimp like this.
  18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

:p:D:D:D:D
    barkley used to say when the FT’s matter in the final minutes a lot of players’ sphincters start tightening up :D

19. invocux

invocux Member

He was shooting 81.2% in Turkey (6.2 free throw attempts). I think he will get there.

20. invocux

invocux Member

Yep. Watched some of his clips he was actually bending his knees (2:04)