1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka after loss to Suns, Jalen's 34, Sengun's ejection

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 29, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ime is very good at passive aggressively noting "its not my fault!!" the other night he straight up basically said our players suck, theirs are good.

Is it true? Yes, lol... but the pass the blame game is kinda annoying.

There was ONE time he took some personal accountability in a presser, and that was the last game before the ASB where he noted he was going to take a long hard look over the break and see what he can do to fix it, implying some kind of significant rotation change. That rotation change was.... remove Tate lol. Who per nba.com has the highest net rating on our team aside from Tari who has barely played.

Again, Ime isn't wrong... but the post-game pressers are just rinse, wash, repeat at this stage ... same as the games really.

3. MystikArkitect

Yeah. Because we're tanking now.

Holybats likes this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

SOFs

I want you to REALLY LISTEN to what Ime is saying during this interview. To me he is saying, when Alpi does not have it going....WHO IS HE?? WHAT DOES HE BRING?

And that is what I've been saying all along. Your self proclaim BEST PLAYER can not just bring one aspect, he has to effect the game in several facets. You can't hang your head, you can not play defense, you can not rebound just because you are not getting calls....its the NBA. Refs miss calls every game.

To me this is a classic example of why the Rockets have Alpi ranked lower in THEIR evaluations, per Jackson Gatlin. Frank w/the Chop Shop, Roosh Williams are just not getting it!! You have to bring other qualities even on your off night.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Are we starting to see a kinder, more nurturing Ime? Seemed less heavy handed then usual in that press conference ;)

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. a time to chill

People wanted accountability. That also means being open and honest about the deficiencies of the team. If he told them this privately and the same issues continue, I have no problem with Ime saying these things publicly.

BaselineFade and Nook like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why doesn't he shut down himself, I guess, he is being professional till the very end.

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I love how Udoka praises Alpi!! A plebeian fan might not see the slight of hand, but us Old Die-Hards can't be fooled!! ;)

By him saying that Alpi didn't have it going scoring wise tonight, he was actually saying we need him to shoot MORE to completely carry everyone else's scoring ineptitude or we simply don't have a chance in BELL!! Udoka was saying points are points, no matter if they come from the paint, foul line or 3pt line and Alpi is our best chance at scoring whenever he shoots!! It's pretty simple to see...

Player with 20min or more...
    Sengun ...... 3-7..... .428
    VanVleet .... 6-16... .375
    JGreen ...... 10-28.. .357
    Cam ........... 5-14... .357
    Brooks ....... 3-11 .. .272
    Jabari ......... 3-11 .. .272

The numbers are clear... Udoka want's Alpi to shoot MORE!
    It's easy to understand, efficient players should shoot more....It's SCIENCE....:cool:

(P.S.) Alpi losing his mind?? PRICELESS!!
    I personally think the BOSS has a taboo man-crush on Alpi...:D

Go Rockets!!!

#28 BamBam, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  9. JayZ750

My point was more about him not making better rotation changes.

It's hard to criticize Ime cause our roster is straight ass and he has miraculously improved them a decent chunk defensively.

But he still deserves critcism where he deserves it. Great coach. Just want to point out deficiencies where appropriate.

cml750 likes this.
  10. invocux

invocux Member

This one isn't a foul either. Refs are hoeing Sengun haha unbelievable.

cml750, BamBam and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sengün got ejected, Udoker got ejected.....The Ejection Brothers.

They know the feeling.

cml750 likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

I really hope the nba goes to 7 fouls to foul out and 6 for the penalty.
    Vampyr can't be all talk about fixing the game.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Is there anyone else on Rockets twitter who thought this was a foul and that the player "lost his mind"?

theDude and cml750 like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I am not sure why Udoka has not changed his lineup.

It has seemed pretty clear he wants to at several key points this season.

All I have gotten back is: "The starting line up doesn't matter in an Udoka system, it's who plays late" or "Its an organizational decision."

Seems to me that either he has been told not to change the starting line up or he is going to give them a full season before he drops the hammer and says what changes need to be made.

cml750, j@amc, Invisible Fan and 5 others like this.
  15. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

I think it’s clear from his rotations that this is being pushed on him, from the GM. I do like how his 4th quarter rotation is typically based on merit and who is giving full effort and playing well, as opposed to the starters, like most teams. I think he’d like to start the game differently, but is feeling pressure from above.

maypk, cml750 and jim1961 like this.
  16. a time to chill

In most games, Green's been playing backup minutes while keeping the starting position. We can all see that Udoka's been "stealth benching him." Seems like this is a compromise he's made with Stone. I think the only reason why they continue to play him as a starter is to hope that he can find a good stretch of games to increase his trade market value this offseason.

17. JayZ750

Right... BUT... all you've had to do is watch to realize that the "its not who starts but finishes" line is not applicable with this team... cause we're typically so far behind after like 6 minutes

maypk likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"lost his mind" sounds like he assaulted the ref or something

he complained about a foul call most people without a bias against the player (including the Phoenix announcers) think was incorrect

big whoop

cml750, YaoMac09 and BamBam like this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I really hate Stone for meddling with coaching decisions.

That said, the offense is just an eye sore. It looks like back in the JVG days. I remember JVG kept saying, "Play harder!" How much harder can you play to make you shoot better?

maypk, cml750, j@amc and 5 others like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the only guy who got better offensively was Dillon Brooks in November or December......and perhaps Holiday.

Uncle Jeff was what I have envisioned when he was feeling it.

Fred was Fred from Toronto just playing better off Alperen.

Easy likes this.