1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would have happened if we kept Stephen Silas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We finished 27th in the NBA last season overall. Let's say we kept Silas and we signed and lost the players we did this summer (FVV, Brooks, KPJ, etc.) and let's say Stone allowed upgrades to the assistants, stayed out of practices and insisted that the team win as much as possible while locking in Sengun/Jabari/Green as starters.

Try to understand that the team was forcing losses the past 2 years by not taking any action towards winning and at times even taking actions that would increase losses. The vets we kept out, the minutes we gave to young guys, Stone controlling practices, KPJ allowed to pretend like he's Tyrese Haliburton. If we had even signed 3 good locker room vets to the minimum, we would have had a better roster.

How many spots could we move up from 27th if Silas was given these things? Probably 24th? 23rd?

I ask this because right now we're 22nd in the NBA and that was shocking to my eyes. I don't usually look at league-wide standings regardless of conference. I thought we were better than that. We're a top 8 defense. What's going on here?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nothing good, a year later he would still be fired or he has a nervous breakdown.

JayGoogle, kjayp and clos4life like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This might be the lowest ranking a Top 8 defense has ever achieved. (At least, since the lates 1900s)

Nook, Jontro, ramotadab and 3 others like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

But for me, it’s hard to do this thought exercise, because I’m too confident FVV doesn’t come here without Udoka.

Nook, ramotadab, Mathloom and 2 others like this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Jalen Green would have shot .274 on uncontested 3 point shots .... Just like he has with Udoka as coach.

It's not a coaching problem, its a talent problem.

6. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

I would’ve canceled my league pass, and would probably be getting to bed earlier

7. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

At least we would have some optimism for the next coach.

Now, we stuck with a poor coach. The surprise is 92%+ of clutchfans are happy with the current coach (the latest poll, 72 approval, 6 not). I am not sure whether 3 or more coaches in NBA might get a 92%+ approval rate including reigning COTY Mike Brown of the Kings.

Silas era was having talent, having cap space, no coaching, Udoka era is no talent, no cap space, no coaching.

Unbelievable.

HardenReturns likes this.
  8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Sil@ss is the historically worst coach the Rockets have ever had and people are pining for him?

We would be the crappiest team in the league again is what would happen and all our players wold be playing loser AAU bball, just like the last 3 years.

9. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

We would would rank in bottom 3 both offensively and defensively. Would be battling with Detroit for the worst record. Stone would be running practices. No one would be getting back on defense. Sengun would be coming off the bench and never allowed to shoot 3's. No one would be held accountable. Would still be the laughing stock of the league.

But maybe, just maybe Jalen would be averaging an extra 3-4 ppg with remarkably low efficiency. So I guess there's that.

Rokman likes this.
  10. a time to chill

I don’t think there would be much difference, but Silas got a raw deal. He has the worst record, but he also had the worst rosters for 3 consecutive seasons in franchise history.

I think the better question is whether we would be better off if we didn’t have a GM that put all his eggs in the draft lottery basket and tanking, and instead focused on making moves to add talented players through other avenues (trade, free agency).

gfab-babyboi and Crashlanded19 like this.
  11. cml750

cml750 Member

If we kept Silas our defense would be much worse and offense about the same meaning we would be on a pace to match last years record or worse.

ChillyPete32 and BaselineFade like this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Silas was a patsy from the get go. Was told to go be a "loser" and he did it with a smile on his face and sometimes with tears in his eyes. This team actually ran MORE PNR with Silas than with Udoka interestingly enough and yet here we are still languishing below mediocrity - the definition of NBA hell. Hard to run a modern offense when your best player is a dud outside of 10 feet and is surrounded by poor shooting, but further than that its just an antiquated offense all around.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/1...ion-pick-and-rolls-stats-adjustments-counters

harold bingo and gotsis like this.
  13. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

We had a -7.9 point differential last season and are -.4 this season. We are much, much better.

Swapping out KPJ, EG, KJ, Christopher, Eason for a good chunck of the season and replacing with Brooks, FVV, Jeff, Holiday, and the rookies with Silas as coach isn’t coming close to making up being nearly 8 points better a game. We might be the worst team in the West if he was still coach. I guess we’d have a better shot to keep our pick though. Also maybe Jalen would have more perceived value around the league based on potential but that probably just means a terrible extension rather than flipping him for value in the off-season.

Silas was awful. Ime needs to improve but is so much better.

#13 ChillyPete32, Mar 1, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Silas is probably the worst coach in the history of the league. No hyperbole. He's a nice man, and maybe he could lead a veteran team that didn't need any coaching or development, but he wasn't going to bring anything positive to this group at all. Although Jalen would probably have scored more? That's about it.

15. prs325

prs325 Member

Difficult for Udoka to transform culture in 1 year when 3 years of bad losing has imbed itself

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think the team is quite as bad as their record suggests. They aren't good, but they play significantly more competitive games than last season. Our offensive rating is improved slightly, and our defensive rating has jumped from 29th to 6th. I have no reason to believe chucklef**k would have had the young players playing defense.

We'll see how bad this team truly is coming up. We've got one more game @ Phoenix that will be pretty tough, then they go into a stretch of 11 games mostly very winnable on paper. I still think this team will be up around 35 wins by years end, which is a significant improvement. Everybody knew this stretch out of the break had a lot of L's written all over it.

It's still a deeply flawed and extremely young roster. This season is about breaking bad habits as much as winning games. I never thought we were as good as our hot start, and don't think we're as bad as our results recently.

JayGoogle likes this.
  17. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Sengun would be the worst defender in the league and Silas would extend his records.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure but the Offensive lows are too low and highs are relatively high......so hard to get that consensus median.

19. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I legit think Dillon Brooks would have punched or choked him out by now.

Rocket River
    I don't know why but I can just see Dillon completely punking Silas