1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Texans with an Existing Contract in 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Marshall Bryant, Feb 8, 2024.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

@ApacheWarrior I was saying i LIKE Fant... not in love with your other moves

All good tho! Good energy!

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ohhh. Yes, I took it the other way.

Can't please everyone.

I didn't get McConkey or Roman Wilson.....Texans almost have to draft them in the first because
    they won't be there when we pick in the second.

The DT to replace Rankings needs to be a space eater....anything less just gets pushed around.
    I was looking for Kris Jenkins from Michigan or McKinnley Jackson from T A&M. Seems like a waste
    to me to just get a space eater in the first round. Maliek Collins is listed at 284 and he gets pushed back.
    Kris Jenkins was gone by the time I picked.

I'm not a fan of Kool Aid M. Cam Hart was the only reach I made because the CB's in the 3rd round lacked
    a lot to be desired. I prefer Hart over Kool Aid......to me Kool Aid is far overrated.

With exception of Cam Hart.....each pick was rated an A by the site. Cam Hart was a B.
    But he will be a solid CB in the NFL. Good run support, tackler.

jch1911 and raining threes like this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's easier to measure the athletics than the team mate. I am NOT saying any of these are bad. I AM saying we don't know, at least I don't. Though I enjoy the game, I'm really comfortable we now have the Front Office group that can get to the bottom of the compete player and make the right selections for THIS team.

In baseball terms, McNair - Caserio - Ryans is the Crane - Luhnow - Hinch for the Texans. I trust them.

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I totally agree that I think we need a behemoth at IDL. BUT that's not Demeco's MO. He prefers "smaller" attacking IDL that are disruptive.

If you can find a hoss who is quick / disruptive and can play 3 downs, those players tend to go really early in the draft because they are so rare.

I would hope there is a planetoid sized IDL who can do that who is available later in draft (Sweat?), but it's rare.

raining threes, BamBam and GOATuve like this.
  5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes that's the rule,

3-4 lineman tend to have the huge behemoth D-lineman .....4 LB's plug up the holes around them.

4-3 use slimmer D-lineman with bigger middle linebacker for run defense.

How is that working out for us? Maliek Collins weighs about 284 lbs and costing about $15M.

Yeah you can get Jer'Zhan Newton in the first weighing 290 or any sub-300 DT in the draft; but
    I doubt they do better than Rankings/Collins. People crying about our line getting overpowered
    isn't going to be fixed that way. Not short term. Me bringing in Patrick Queen helps.

I was using a depth chart by ESPN.....but I would switch Queen for Cashman at MLB.

Denver Broncos made that mistake for years......going light in the pants D-lineman which got them
    through the AFC playoffs, but then lose to the bigger NFC O-line men.

People shouldn't be surprised by Newton getting smothered inside the trenches
    all season, since he looks like a linebacker playing DT in college. That's college.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. He led our team in sacks. He's 6th in the league in pass rush win rate. t's stupid to replace him. He's only 26.

#46 deb4rockets, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Chop Robinson would get half the sacks and mostly will be lost during the season.

Stroud on "rookie contract window" will close faster than they realize

deb4rockets likes this.
  8. raining threes

While I agree with your premise Newton didn't get smothered very often. He's a stud.

Perryman was the middle linebacker. He is as good a run stuffer as there is in the NFL.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, on Perryman.....which I have Patrick Queen replacing. Whom is better than Perryman. As indicated by Perryman being tested much lower than Queen on the free agency board at LB position. Queen is a stud.

We'll see on Newton. I think it's more fluff than substance. If we want a guy who slips off his blocker as the QB scrambles as moves laterally well. You probably go Newton.

But if you want run stopping....I'd go Rankings and Maliek Collins as better options.

Problem is they all get blow off the line of scrimmage in goal line or short 3rd and 2 yards.

I'd split the baby and get Kris Jenkins over 300 lbs or McKinnley Jackson. Not flashy but hold their ground while Queen or Cashman srunt thru the middle.

raining threes likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes but when you speak of M.O. we speak of intent.

The intention going into the season was to have a 319 pounder next to the lighter tackle.

Most of the game is preventing the opponent from gaining 3 yards. That exceeds time a quarterback
    drops back to pass long distances.

If you have two 290 pound tackles......you ain't stopping anyone. Goal line defense or 3rd and 3 (yards)

Here you see preseason depth chart
    https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/159823-49ers-release-first-depth-chart-2022-preseason/
    The intent was to start them. If you click on them you see how many games they started in previous
    seasons.

#52 ApacheWarrior, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The 2024 QB room

1. C. J. Stroud - The Franchise QB. He will be on his second year of a 4+1 Rookie contract.

2. Davis Mills - Final year of his 3rd round - 4 yr Rookie contract.

3. Case Keenum - Final year of his 2 year FA contract - 10 year Vet. Just my gut, but I could see him start his coaching career next season as QB coach replacing the QB coach who replaces the OC who takes a head coaching position to maintain the QB voices which are working well.

4. Tim Boyle - Reserve/Future

The room is full, but they may want to draft a higher level backup before being expected to be the primary backup as a rookie next year. But this is definitely a lower priority.

There may be some cheap high talent options available if they can find peace knowing they are NOT competing tor the starting job. But they may feel they can acquire one in season if needed.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Could they cut Keenum and save money? Mills is obviously better and find a cheaper 3rd string qb

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It appears they could save about $2M by cutting him. But then they have to get his replacement. But I don't think it would be worth it unless they find an elite backup. Those aren't cheap at this time, but could get affordable after preseason cuts.