1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumors: JG4 refusing to be sixth man and believing him not being properly used

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I don't understand the point to start Green if he is never is going to play the 4th quarter.

It's pretty uniformly agreed upon that Jalen is a "rhythm" player and playing him these random sporadic minutes when he often sits on the bench for LONG stretches isn't really helping him. Have him come off the bench for a singular long stretch rather than what we are seeing currently.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Rashmon, subtomic, Bo6 and 10 others like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What good is a SG who can't shoot? SGA needs to take half the attempts of Jalen to hit 37% of his 3's (and took 2.5 attempts last season to make just 34%), so he's about the same calibre shooter even at his advanced age. What good is he? He's good for a lot of things. I imagine what Jalen would bring other than shooting is a lot of finishing at the rim, free throw attempts, transition points and of course making his simple open 3pt shots. Also, a guy who shot 34, 33, 31% on 7-ish attempts per game for his first 3 seasons is not a lost cause when it comes to shooting - it's just that we don't have time to wait for that to develop. He'll be a decent shooter in his mid 20's, pretty obvious.

Also I broke down these numbers earlier, Jalen is making 38% of of open 3's (4-6 feet of space) on roughly 3 attempts. How's that a person who can't shoot? He's missing the WIDE open shots (6+ feet of space, i.e. when he's a several feet behind the line for no reason whatsoever) and obviously he's terrible at contested 3's (stepback and fadeaway). Those 2 areas are where he's taking 3ish attempts shooting in the 25% range. That's a shot selection issue. He can be shooting way better if he just stops taking shots as though he's Dame Lillard, and starts taking them more straight up and down. Unfortunately he's an idiot when it comes to shot selection and Ime is either also an idiot or too stubborn to force it to happen ("not my job" attitude").

RudyTBag and gfab-babyboi like this.
  4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'm glad you're still in fairy land and can imagine these things happening.

Meanwhile in the real world:

- a lot of finishing at the rim? Funny, haven't seen that in three years.

- free throw attempts? Funny, haven't seen that in three years.

- transition points? Funny, haven't seen that in three years? (You know what's extra funny about this? Cam and Amen seem to get some fast break points just fine in the exact same offense Jalen whinges about not being fast enough.)

- making simple open 3 point shots? Funny, haven't seen that in three years.

Man fairy land must be a damn good time, blatantly ignoring the obvious. This is KPJ is a saint DD level of delusion.

JeffB, clos4life, MrButtocks and 5 others like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tripling down to the end......I guess we are here for him.

6. plegus

plegus Member

Every time he takes a step back 3 I die, make or miss does not matter. He won’t or can’t stay in his efficient spots because he still thinks he is better than what he can actually bring as of this moment. Needs a mentality shift which means he will lose the big bag. Shitty grey area he is in, sad :(

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

He needs to try playing like a roleplayer for a time and just get those efficiency numbers up and get comfortable again. The shot selection has been atrocious. Needs to be a very simple flow chart:

Am I open? Yes -> Shoot in rhythm.

No: Do I have an easy lane to the basket? Yes -> Drive to the basket and try to score at the rim.

No: Pass the damn ball and keep things moving.

Jalen as an on-ball player needs to be over for now. It's not working. Maybe when he proves he can do the simple things he can try to begin working more creation back into his game.

8. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I know we're hating on Jalen here which isn't undeserved but they'd have been insane not to pick up this option. Even if to just be a trade chip

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The end result looks like a compromise between 2 parties.

Party A: Wants him to start
    Party B: Wants his minute's cut.

So we got him starting with his minutes cut.

Bo6, DeBeards, gotsis and 1 other person like this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Also: What good is a SG who can't guard?

11. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Early 2000s Lakers would start someone else at PF and Horry always finished 4th quarter. Part of the strategy.

12. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These folks are anti-Jalen the agenda has been pushed down their throats … I actually made a thread using his shooting charts to show exactly where a lot of his shots in the offense come from (one thing I wish I could eliminate is the shots he’s forced to take under 3 seconds)

Rockets also fail to get him the ball going downhill outside of a few fastbreaks … that’s a FVV issue because of pace and allowing defense to setup, add in the FVV/Alpi PNR and

Drives per game rookie year 8.8, last year 12.9

This year!!! 9…. You would think that would explode with Alpi starting the year as hot as he did… but instead the paint is more crowded than ever

FVV - usually at 13+ drives a game is down to 10

Mathloom and Bo6 like this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the paint is so crowded, why are Cam and Amen so dominant in the paint?

Could it be that Fred and JG are just weaklings who can't finish at the rim like we would hope? (Eye test confirms...)

14. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

9x out of 10 when Cam comes in game Alpi is out and Jeff Green is in … Amen gets majority of his drives leading fast break .. not in flow of our offense…

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe we need to send Jalen Green to dat bench to play with Jeffy, because I bet you big bucks that Cam can finish with the big boys.

Jalen Green's Kevin Martin body needs to pack on some pubes this summer.

DeBeards and HardenReturns like this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Sad times

GotGame15 likes this.
  17. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Then explain why Cam drives to rim are less when he’s on floor with Alpi than when he’s on floor with Jeff Green …

The biggest reason Cam is currently favored over Jalen is simply his 3pt shooting…

He’s not a great rebounder, not a great defender, can’t run PNR with Alpi, not a playmaker… he finishes strong on break and is hitting a nice clip from 3

folks want Jalen to be the next Kobe or MJ and guess what they didn’t eat from 3 … they ate from 2

MJ 32% for career

Kobe 32%

Wade 29%

in this era all these fans would be saying bench them or trade them

#277 gfab-babyboi, Feb 25, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

This is a great point. We've shifted the offense dramtically to have Al-P post-ups to be a feature. The problem is that it does crowd the paint for everyone else. The idea was to have Green/Jabari/Brooks be 3 point shooters but almost every single one of them are insanely inconsistent.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A few good rebounds.....

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Disillusioned Jalen Green