1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously, when can we end this JG experiment?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zjcblord21, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, Brooks is having by far the most efficient season of his career and he's still not a starting caliber player.

If he's willing to take a bench role going forward, it won't be so bad, but my concern is that he thinks he is a star.

2. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I was not a fan of his contract. What he brings is alright while they are resetting the culture, but he and VanVleet both are dead weight after 2024/25.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They can't really dump him without attaching a lot of picks to get a team to want to take him until he becomes an expiring.

4. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

You are probably right. Even with his declining cap hit, his salary will be $4-5 Million over the mid-level exception in 25/26 and 26/27. With Tari and Amen, Brooks’s contract could become a minor albatross

5. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Jalen's low minutes in the Pelicans game could be blamed on the blowout, but he played 21 minutes yesterday in a close game. Amen played 33 minutes and got nothing but praise from Udoka. Looks like the experiment is effectively over.

GotGame15, Ardeus, Sonicbun8 and 6 others like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jalen struggles against teams that play physical defense....like the Pels all you have to do is crowd him and he falls apart like cheap cornbread.

DD

GotGame15 and Rokman like this.
  7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

It's not just that he hasn't gotten better but I feel like he got worse in every aspect of the game. His rookie season he ended making 6 plus threes in a bunch of a games and he can't seem to make anything anymore. Some of his shots aren't even close. He literally throwing up airballs some games.

He drives by his man and they just poke the ball out from behind. He can't seem to make free throws consistently. I can't name one thing Jalen does well other than sit on the bench.

Sonicbun8 likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Teams know what he has in his "Coin Purse" and now force him into what he doesn't have.....which is a full bag.

DD

9. opticon

opticon Member

From the looks of it, he will get Six-man minutes from the starter's spot. If he is on a heater, they will leave him in. If he is cold, he will play sparingly in the second half.

GotGame15 likes this.
  10. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

We need to do everything we can to get Dillingham from Kentucky. I usually dislike Kentucky players because Calipari is a horrible coach and teacher, but that kid is ****ing special.

Thompson-Dillingham-Smith-Sengun-Adams. Tell Sengun this offseason to shoot 1000 3's everyday because he's moving to forward.

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Ime sees Amen as ready and Cam shoots better but is still streaky. Ime is defensive minded so obviously he will go with the defensive phenom. To be honest though you cant go wrong with either because as I said youre replacing a net negative. Even Holiday performs better than Jalen when replacing him according to advanced stats. Im glad Ime is finally growing some balls and reducing his minutes. (Also Amen can play 1 thru 3 and not be "out of position")

#211 Joe Rocket, Feb 24, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

.263 on uncontested 3's for the season.

Playing against the opponent's 2nd unit isn't going to fix that.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is such a depressing thread in part because he really was a bust.

The hype on here was so high for both JG and Jabari.

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Jalen Green makes Steve Francis look like a Rockets Legend.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Stevie wanted to get out of Vancouver.

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Right Steve was an Allstar by year 3. He sucked at threes too but was self aware and only took one a game meanwhile he average 45% on 2's. He def wasnt a superstar but he was atleast pretty good as opposed to Jalen who is pretty bad.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Don't disrespect stevie franchise by comparing him to JG
    I mean there's no comparison, SF led us to the playoffs where we were battling shaq/kobe the best team in the league
    JG literally makes the team worse

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Shooting did not matter as much when Franchise played, and he was still better at it.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  19. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I had Steve Francis as JG’s floor when we drafted him, not his aspirational ceiling.

20. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

I don't disagree with that. If given the choice, I'd rather we not play Jalen at all either.

Was just responding to the other poster saying how we needed to feature Jalen with heavier starter minutes for a potential trade, which I definitely think is the wrong idea even if miraculously some idiot GM wanted to trade for Jalen.