1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously, when can we end this JG experiment?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zjcblord21, Feb 22, 2024.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes, he called me, too, right after you. I told him to watch clips of Kobe and MJ and he promised he'd look them up, right after he's done with the Donatella Versace spring collection. Things'll improve pretty soon here.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Donatella dusting off the older collections from her brother's era Gianni.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

what's the play?

folks want him benched - but is that the best play?

do we necessarily want to play our best basketball? Do we think we got a shot at the play-in - or have we already pulled up the stakes for the tank - and hope the long odds come in...?

because imo...

otherwise its all about doing what we can to try to bolster his #s - so we can move him this off season - and try to get any sorta return...

i mean...

its already gonna be pennies on the dollar - do we want it to bottom out further - or do we try to prop him up and try to put some lipstick on this pig?

treat him like he's WB in OKC and goin for an MVP! ;) lol

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think the market noticed that he is an inconsistent chucker ......I doubt anyone other than maybe Charlotte or Washington is giving up much to get him.

Even then they are keeping Lamelo and Brandon Miller.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  5. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I said he looked to be a Jordan Clarkson or Kelly Oubre type of player in his first season, but now it’s looking like he isn’t even as good a player as those guys. I tried to have patience with Jalen but it’s about run out. He needs to be benched. This is devastating for the Rockets, these blown draft picks along with the brilliance of the Thunder doesn’t make for a good future. This is what happens though when you have a POS owner like Tilman who hires a lawyer as GM and puts his son as the one to succeed him. Get comfortable folks, it’s gonna be a long and miserable 10 years, at least.

6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The nature of the draft is that you dont know who is gonna be good and who will fail. There are guys better than Mobley that I woulda taken at 2. Its easy in hindsight to say something like this.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jalen Green sucks.

DD

8. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

whiffing on high lotto picks happens all the time. it isn't the end of the world and teams end up being more successful once they get rid of the bust. get rid of jalen asap so that we can finally be fully committed to setting up a winning culture.

9. kubli9

Supporting Member

Yeah, but OKC will be better than the Rockets for at least the next 5 years, maybe longer. Unless they draft the next MJ/LeBron, Rockets aren’t in a good spot for the next era of NBA basketball.

#49 kubli9, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    harold bingo likes this.
  10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

What do we need to trade him for in the first place?
    We're stacked with players that need playing time and development. Tari Eason, Jabari, alpi, Amen, Cam. We traded for Steven Adams already so that's our back up big.
    Get a couple draft picks for him and call it a day.

11. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

so just give up now and let it ride with jalen and be a bottom 5 team every year?

there's still so many unknown variables... we still have a bunch of promising young players not anywhere close to their potential (sengun, bari, tari, amen, cam) and still have a bunch of cap room (jalen shouldn't even be getting an nba contract after this one ends).

i get it that okc already is playing really well - kudos to them. but what happens if chet doesn't stay healthy... that's an entirely different team without him. and what about those old okc teams with kd, russ, harden, and ibaka... that's as promising a core as the nba has ever seen... that didn't stop teams from competing, and that okc team didn't last more than 5 yrs together. what about portland when they had brandon roy and oden... us with yao and tmac... look what happened then. you just never know in the nba.

rockets just need to worry about getting rid of jalen's worthless ass and building up our young guys before worrying about what other teams are doing.

12. Buck Turgidson

Next offseason.

kjayp likes this.
  13. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Stating the obvious... it's beyond disappointing. I'd be curious to know how many players regressed over their first 3 seasons only to turn things around.

15.8% from 3 in February. Bruh, come off the bench for awhile.

14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I would say I hate to say I told you so, but I love it.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sure, OKC will be better than us for the next 5 years, but that's to be expected; their best player is 25. If we find a top 10 player internally, it will be Sengun, Amen, or Cam. Those guys are 4 to 6 years younger than SGA.

I'm actually most concerned about Minnesota, depending on how they manage the transition into whatever their next roster looks like as KAT and Gobert age out of their prime years. Edwards is looking like a menace and is around the same age as our core. Maybe they will end up in the East due to league expansion, though.

I'm also keeping my eye on San Antonio and Portland to see how their rebuilds go. We are ahead of them at the moment, but they have a lot of potential on their rosters.

HD729 likes this.
  16. kubli9

Supporting Member

I’m not saying to keep Jalen. I’m just not optimistic about the future of this team with the current leadership and how they’ve already f*cked up the rebuild. OKC isn’t the only team to worry about, they are just the most obvious. At least half the league has a better 5 year outlook than the Rockets. They really needed one of Jalen or Jabari to be a star. Blowing those picks will set the franchise back for years to come.

clutchdabear likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I am not as down on the rebuild as you are. Sengun would have gone second in 2021 in a redo, so that makes up for blowing the Jalen pick in terms of our outlook (it doesn't make the Jalen pick look any better, but it compensates for its failure, at least). Jabari will not be a star, but you need good roleplayers too. I am high on Amen and Cam.

Our contending years were always going to begin around 2027 or 2028 at best, even if we had hit on the Jalen pick. Just the nature of the beast--you almost never win rings with players under age 25. Even MJ and LeBron didn't do it until their late 20s. Or Hakeem for that matter--took him until after age 30.

That said, I'm not sold that Stone is the guy to put together our next contending roster. And I'm in full agreement that Tillman seems like a sh*tty owner until he proves otherwise.

18. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

i mean, yea i think we can all agree that stone and ferntits are maybe the worst duo anyone can come up with for turning this franchise around... but shitty owners have won championships so i'm still holding out hope. maybe ferntits actually fires stone and gets a competent gm.. who knows.

all i'm saying is, take jalen off of this team and we'd already be like 4-5 wins better this season... add in internal improvement over the next 3 yrs from our core young players and let the chips fall where they may.

also don't be too down on jabari just yet - the guy busts his ass and has a competitive streak. and we've all seen glimpses where he shows a nice mid post game, getting his shot off whenever. he's not some stiff and there's been plenty of plays the past year where he's even shown some wiggle and dribble drive. he's gonna get much better, unlike jalen's sorry ass who thinks he's some social media darling/fashionista and doesn't really care for ball anyways.

kubli9 likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Like someone else here said. When Stone gets fired.

Green is tied to the hip with Stone. I’m 100% sure Stone intervened in Ime’s decision not to change the lineup over the break. Stone has meddled consistently to make Green fit on this team.

#59 REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 23, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    HardenReturns, BamBam, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I still think Green can find his niche and play in the league for a while.

It won't be here though, too much internal and external baggage of expectations. Once he goes elsewhere and is no longer expected to be a core star he might find his place.