1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumors: JG4 refusing to be sixth man and believing him not being properly used

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Feb 21, 2024.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sparingly I hope.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Some of y'all kept holding out hope for this dude, but this should be a nail on the coffin for anybody still foolishly believing in this dude. Mentally weak.

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Jalen doesn't have good enough form on his shot to be a consistent 3 point threat. That's something that should have improved by now but hasn't. Until that happens, and it might not ever happen, he needs to focus on getting stronger, which is also going to take some time, and improving his rebounding and defense. Sounds like a lot because it is! The guy has some massive holes in his game that he NEEDS to work on. But I'm not sure he's ready to admit that yet...

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

not sure what Westbrook’s 3rd year averages or rim attacking/midrange has to do with my post when I am talking about Jalen’s 3 point shooting

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Guys are just loving the idea of him.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it’s also possible to play winning basketball with more pace and space. It doesn’t necessarily have to be this or losing basketball. I’m more interested in what they’re running in Denver, Golden State and Sacramento for inspiration. Carlisle’s Pacers are doing great things but they don’t have a non shooting big so it’s harder to replicate.

Under Silas it was decent spacing but no prioritization of shots/scorers, no accountability for the shots you take. I have no interest in that either.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

At this point it’s hard to argue Cam doesn’t deserve the shot but I do wish Udoka had used Jalen better and put a tighter leash on his shot selection.

I agree with you if Udoka isn’t willing to change anything then what’s best is to put a shooter (Cam) at the 2 for this stretch run.

I do still think Jalen will have a much better last 28 games that any other such stretch of his career. I’ve grown accustomed to him turning it around too late you can say.

#87 Mathloom, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    BamBam likes this.
  8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Consistency
    Mental toughness
    Growth in your game

Those 3 factors are what make lottery picks all stars.

Jalen has none of those.

Unfortunately we struck out with him, but the good news is Cam is getting ready to take his spot and he does show signs of the 3 crucial factors.

9. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

If Jalen Green decided to be okay with being a 6th man (on a contract year!) next year, who fits best in the 2nd unit with JG4?

C: Sengun, Adams
    PF: Smith, Eason
    SF: Brooks, Whitmore
    SG: VanVleet, Green
    PG: Thompson, 2024 1RP (Sheppard)

OR

PF: Eason, 2024 1RP (Sarr)
    SF: Smith, Whitmore
    SG: Brooks, Green
    PG: VanVleet, Thompson

OR

PF: Smith, Eason
    SF: Brooks, Thompson
    SG: Whitmore, Green
    PG: VanVleet, 2024 1RP (Sheppard)

10. cml750

cml750 Member

I have my doubts Jalen will even be in the regular rotation next year. He will have to make a huge improvement in the offseason and find some consistency.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

ClutchFans…where Sheila Jackson Lee get scoops and Roosh Williams give coaching advice.

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Jalen needs to do himself a favor and lock himself in a gym this summer and put in 1000 shots a day, his game will unravel if he just shot decently. Unfortunately for him, the Rockets don't have time and Cam is way too good to ignore. The starting group desperately needs a consistent shooter... start Cam!

clutchdabear, xaos and cml750 like this.
  13. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That doesn't really say alot lol

Believe It! likes this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

Agreed on Green. If he improved his jumpshot he'd be a completely different player and he has the touch and synergy to do it. I know that seems like an obvious "oh really if a player shoots better they become a better player derp derp" comment but for someone who has the ability to create vertical and horizontal space like he does it would make a significant difference.

"Hail Hydra" and Rocketeer like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Playing winning basketball isn't so much about pace though. Jalen's inconsistent effort defensively, his poor decision making on what to do on offense isn't going to be fixed by pace either. He is also missing open shots. Would a faster pace give him so more easy buckets in transition? Yes, but those other issues would still remain.

As for Carlisle, he is the best coach in basketball and has been for over a decade, when it comes to spacing - but also, they are terrible defensively. They are giving up like 125 points a game, Also - the spacing is a lot easier when you as a team shoot almost 40% from 3 - and Green is actually a big part of the shooting problem.

The ability to do the little things to win AND also get stats is what really good players do...... guys that can score when that is all they do, and don't play well in a system are usually journeymen.

16. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Agreed. For JG, there's almost no in between decent games, he either has plenty of sh!tty games or a few good ones where his outside shot is going in that opens it up. Obviously, confidence is a huge factor for him... something he definitely needs to work on as his career progresses.

xaos likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen is definitely being used wrong, with his athleticism and his level of BBIQ, he'd make a great equipment manager.

#97 Bobbythegreat, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    maypk, Y2JT and Arda like this.
  18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I mean who gives up on a lotto pick in year 3 after the first 2 years were with a terrible team/coaching staff?

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

The only place that worships Jalen Green is Rockets reddit, that place is a cesspool of delusional Jalen Green fans. They really think he's the next Kobe there.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most people give up on top 3 picks after a few years if they are still REALLY terrible at basketball especially when they have better options to go with.