1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly this, Bridges is a "3rd guy on a contending team." Still very valuable, but that is his role.

OremLK and Nook like this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is one of my biggest concerns on Stone. Not maximizing value on trades. My worry is GMs look at his track record and see him as an easy mark to take advantage of by extracting more picks/assets than is warranted.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly, and what I find concerning is that this problem has been consistent and ultimately has a cumulative impact on the organization.

slothy420, clos4life and cml750 like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The guys who are the loudest about personnel moves are usually the most wrong! Talk about dodging a bullet!

"Build around Bridges" LOLLL

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. TimDuncanDonaut

8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Brooklyn held onto Bridges for too long and his value is starting to plummet

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Miles Bridges already reached his Prime at 27 years old.

Still the 3rd Option on the Team.

Rockets Fans need to be Patient and also Ime Udoka on the Rockets Young Players.

Jalen Green can handle the High Minutes because his slim body type, his speed and Athleticism is of a Track Athlete running the Floor.

Cam Whitmore I knew is going to get Leg Injury during the Season.

Broken Leg in High School means Cam has a Rod, Plate, Screws in his Leg.

Cam I just don't believe he is a High Minutes Player, Rockets need to limit him to protect him from injury.

vince likes this.
  10. Mathew Diekhake

Mikal Bridges is a combination of Eddie Jones (ceiling) + Trevor Ariza (floor).

He is at best a number 2 on a championship team. He is the same player he was on Pheonix. The only difference is he no longer plays with other stars. We have seen his value when he plays on a contender. It's decent, but not a difference-maker.

I would assume Jalen Green surpasses Mikal Bridges within 2 years. Bridges may already be at his peak.

Zen Tabak, vince and MadMax94$ like this.
  11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If their pick goes top 4 we could offer it back for Bridges straight up...

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he keeps on being a non game changer then he is going to be a 4th guy on the US National team every soon.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You have to take into consideration Bridges is capable of playing defense like a top 3 DPOY candidate. He hasn't done that as much with Brooklyn, but only because they wanted to see if he can take it up a gear offensively. So when his shot is off, he's still helping you out the other 50% of the court. When Cam and Jalen are not scoring well, they are giving us little to nothing way too often on the other end of the court and as rebounders/passers. That's why a guy like Bridges has such solid value. Defense is half of what's happening in a game.

Further, expect Bridges to improve. He's been given the opportunity to test and train his handle/penetration against the best defenders in the NBA (seeing as he's the top scorer on that team). I'm sure by now he's a better scorer than he was in Phoenix where he just stuck to his role. Offensively, I think he should be somewhere between what he was in Phoenix and Brooklyn.

IMO if your #1 player is a top 5 NBA player, then you would be surprised what Bridges could achieve offensively playing off a guy like that. However for most teams, he's an elite #3 or a barely good enough #2 on a true championship contender. That's a hell of a player. I don't think some of you realize the 2nd or 3rd best player on the teams in the Conference Finals are almost always worth 90-100% of their max salary.

Having said that, if we offered Green and all their picks and swaps back, thank god they said no. I said so many times Bridges' price will come down eventually and Nets will not be able to punt on being contenders/tankers much longer. Would love to add him to our core. I would try to acquire him for Dillon Brooks + 2024 their own pick + one future swap. Bring in a contending 3rd team to take Brooks off their hands for an expiring contract and a pick. I doubt they'll be offered more than expiring contract + 2 FRP's + a swap. Maybe we can also take a small/medium bad contract off their hands for an expiring contract to sweeten the deal.

That's a definite upgrade for us. Would be sad to lose Brooks, but Bridges can essentially fill the same role but be an even better shooter, better in transition and won't foul as much. You have Bridges, Tari, Amen and Jabari there's no reason to pay or play Brooks anymore basically. They're never getting offered 4 picks again, I'm certain of that. Bridges' good contract is shorter and his perceived ceiling has been lowered. Was a bad idea for them to turn down those deals and not do anything else at all either.

#493 Mathloom, Mar 14, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    Rokman likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Another reason to [​IMG]

[​IMG] before he ups his [Green+all the picks] offer in the summer and includes Amen or Cam.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

You have to consider the contract though after Nets treated him like a star Bridges is expecting much more than his current 25M salary. This is purely a grass is greener scenario once we got Bridges and he wants the max or close to the max in 2 yrs I'm sure fans will riot again and want Stone fired.

peleincubus likes this.
  16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

we for sure offered some picks for him. it made too much sense not too.

the question is he even worth the Nets pick this year? If it's like #8 or #9 I'd give it up for Bridges. Or maybe just the two swaps back. Rolling into next year with a ton of depth on the wings would be a great luxury. We'd be 10 players deep. Brooks becomes tradebait.

Fred / Amen
    Green / Brooks
    Bridges / Cam
    Jabari / Tari
    Sengun / Adams

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

A reason to fire Stone is because he might of offered something for Bridges, but we don’t know what?

18. j@amc

j@amc Member

I don't see how Bridges is a move-the-needle guy.

Last night vs Orlando: 0 points in the first half on 0-5 shooting, 1 board, 1 assist.
    Ended up with 17 on 5-13 shooting and 6-7 at the line (30 total minutes played)
    Meh.

I'm only tracking the Nets decline for Tankathon purposes. Those odds are improving daily.

If the Nets land in that 6th to 8th worst-record range, it's very possible to land a top 4 pick.

roslolian likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If you build around bridges, you fall in a river

Nook and roslolian like this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would say those are Trevor Ariza numbers, but Trevor Ariza shot the three ball better than that.