1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2024] All Star Weekend in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

3 point contest is the only good thing about the entire weekend and is legitimately enjoyable…it’s the only thing I’ve bothered to watch for several years now

ASG is a joke, and they can just do away with the Dunk Contest

Idk why they still have the Dunk Contest as the final event on Saturday night as if anyone gives a fck about it

stars will actually participate in the 3 point contest, and it’s the only thing the whole weekend that’s taken seriously

Jontro, Patience, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  2. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

The entire concept of all-star games, all-star weekends, pro bowl, etc in any sport (NBA/MLB/NFL/etc) is an antiquated relic, and has been for quite some time. Nobody really cares anymore. The media tries to hype these events up, but it often comes across as forced and awkward. I don't think the all-star festivities can be "fixed" in today's player, fan, and business culture. Anthony Edwards is right.

I say just scrap the whole thing altogether and give all players a week of normal mid-season vacation during that time.

boomboom, apollo33, Jontro and 3 others like this.
  3. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

Wow what a complete waste of time. I had a mild interest to see if 200 points would be scored but doing it shootaround style was so boring.

Someone mentioned a 1 on 1 tournament, I like this idea. Do away with the "team" aspect (which hasn't really worked since Magic was running the show in the ASG) and force the players to be accountable for their individual performance. Plus its a way to see who is the best that we don't see outside of the playground. I'd watch it.

Agree that the dunk contest needs to end, anything that needs to be judged really. The 3 point contest works and is compelling because there is no argument on who the winner is.

Jontro and clos4life like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I skipped it. Looks like I didn't miss much.

Silver needs to merge ASW with the in-season tournament IMO. Just incorporate the events and the All Star announcements into the event the day before the final game. No need for an all-star game. Elevate the in-season finals.

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Seriously though, USA vs the World would be compelling.

EDIT: If it's eliminated, the teams would need some sort of bye week added to their schedule to give the players a break during the season.

Jontro, clos4life and GOATuve like this.
  6. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can blame Lebron and the player empowerment era for this result. Do you really think the players didn't discuss it amongst themselves before the game that they weren't going to play hard? They knew the league was pushing for them to compete and they basically told Adam Silver to f*ck off.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't see it as any different result - it's not the format, it shouldn't exist.
    Wrong. They don't need to conspire to not care, the world around them changed so that nobody else cares. They're simply responding.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This happens even in youth leagues. I get asked to coach youth all-star games, but I refuse because it's just a mess. Had one kid kick the basketball as a 3 pointer.

Jontro, clos4life and KingCheetah like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's because shooting is objective. You don't need no judges to score them. (Unlike sports like skating and gymnastics, the Slam Dunk judges have no objective scoring standards.) And you don't do showboating to get extra oohs and aahs. And most importantly, there's no crappy defense like in the ASG.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

lol

cheke64 likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

I guess, but most of these dudes can’t even make the dunk without multiple attempts and there’s only so many dunks u can come up with unless you’re some professional dunker who does it for a living or u have some out of this world creativity to come up with something new

atp, just have 1 representative from college, the G-League, the NBA, and an amateur come in and dunk…at least it would be something new

clos4life likes this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

Borefest, watching the highlights I couldn't even see who was supposed to be MVP. The actual highlights of it were Lilliard shooting from the halfway line with ease and some funny pass moments. I know it's old man yells at cloud for the AS weekend, but I'll take a WNBA and NBA mix for 3pt contest - preferable ones with best percentage, HORSE competition instead of skill challenge, Dunk contest with street guys and international dudes so you at least can improve the quality of the product.

clos4life likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The only way to save the dunk contest is to tape and edit it because sitting through all the misses and delays is so f'ing boring. They've been trying to 'fix' the contest for about two decades (remember Stevie spinning the wheel) and nothing has worked. However if you watch a YouTube video editing out all the garbage it's pretty awesome (Levine/ Gordon being the modern gold standard). Across all sports all star games just don't draw the fan's interest anymore and have had to make major changes. Also Kenny has got to go -- he has been absolutely terrible for years.

JumpMan likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Gimmicky dunks in the dunk contest have jumped the shark long time ago. There's really nothing more amazing that could be shown. I kind of like the idea of judging in-game dunks in the ASG. But then, they should also have the coolest pass contest, and maybe defensive MVP (instead of whoever plays the most selfishly kind of MVP) to make the game more competitive.

clos4life likes this.
  15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It makes me laugh seeing the scorching write-ups in the press about the ASG. "All 3s and dunks", "no defense or competitiveness", "disgusting" as if it hadn't been that way for years.

#135 A_3PO, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

I have not watched for years and I don't have any regrets. Even highlights are boring.

17. blackistan

blackistan Member

I hold out hope every year hoping the dunk contest will be good but I'm disappointed every time. Until they get stars in it ala Zion, Ant Edwards, Ja etc it will continue to be trash. The All Star game is also dead and needs to be dropped at this point or they need to do what the Nfl did with the pro bowl game.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Blame LeBron's lack of creativity for the contest going to crap. All the stars of year's past participated, then LeBron gets booed in a high school contest for doing the same dunk repeatedly. He was scarred for life and ended up scared sh1tless for the remainder of his career. When the best player scoffs, all the best players scoff.

When done correctly, the dunk contest is the most exciting event. Nobody is watching 3-point contest replays on YouTube. But they are watching dunks.

#138 Houstunna, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

stfu already. You have your view which is literally impossible to prove but are fixated on constantly being edgy and wasting your life pushing it. We get it, you don't think all stars matter anymore

A lot of people disagree, get over it

persian hoopa, kubli9 and Houstunna like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member