1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabrari Smith Truly Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 14, 2024.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Based on this one he didn't average 14 pts

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/martike04.html

AuburnRocket likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Eason was a Nets pick

Jarrett Allen for Bucks 2022 1st

Bucks 2022 first and PJ Tucker for Bucks 2023 first

Eric Gordon and Bucks 2023 first for Clips 2023 1st

Clips 2023 first is Whitmore. We traded Allen, Tucker, Gordon for #20 overall that we used to take Whitmore

We may ultimately win that trade, but it's by pure luck of a top talent in Cam falls so late. Terrible asset management by our FO.

Y2JT, Imanimal and raining threes like this.
  3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This guy knows what he is talking about. Jabari is going to be a beast. The kid is 20 and he's already starting to light it up. I'm expecting a huge jump from him after this season. The more Sengun and Jabari create chemistry the scarier that front court tandem will be. Just wait until Amen and Cam Whitmore make the leap. Jabari will feast!
    Thank goodness more people get it! Get rid of the guy that's shooting 28% on wide open 3's and taking 15 shot attempts while only making 1 and we might actually start winning games.

If you have any anger, lash it out on the fact that Jalen Green is still in a Rockets Jersey. Not at the guys who actually are contributing to this system and have shown leaps of improvement.

4. Moahst

Moahst Member

He's already improved/progressed more towards his potential than Jalen Green has. Worth holding on to.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

He gets the benefit of the doubt just like Jalen until year 3. If he shows up next season and plays worse then he equally should get the same amount of criticism. This is a guy who thought he should've gone #1 and his peers in the same draft are just flat outplaying him by a mile.

Jontro and raining threes like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Other than Chet, Banchero and JDub nobody is flatout out playing Jabari. We got him 3rd if he's the 4rth BPA that ain't bad.

Again dude is only getting 10 attempts. If he got like 13 he'd be scoring 16 8 and nobody will say ****.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

With Jabari I would still give him couple more years........

8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Jabari is a competitor, his mindset and attitude is not going to be what limits him, for this reason I think at just 20 years old there is not much concern for me. With Jalen he has the ego and wrong attitude, does not seem to want to take responsibility or grind to be a player in the league so unless that changes things are not looking good for his future. Jabari I think had the pedigree to be a winner and has the right people around him to push him. From what I have heard his dad holds him accountable, this is why I do not think he will end up like Jalen.

Y2JT, Jontro, tycoonchip and 5 others like this.
  9. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

roslolian likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One step at a time.

#130 daywalker02, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  11. fattz

fattz Member

We did not miss Banchero. We picked 3 and he went 1. He was not available to us. Can’t miss something that was NEVER A OPTION to start with. Smith was the right pick and anyone would have picked him when we did.

Y2JT, clutchdabear, MadMax and 5 others like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

The PJ Tucker trade also included a pick upgrade, we were able to swap the 2nd rounder with the Bucks first rounder in the 2021 nba draft. We traded Allen, a 2nd rounder, Tucker and Gordon for 2 frps basically. Considering Allen was an expiring and nobody knew he would be an all star at the time I didn't think the trade was that bad. Keeping Allen yeah ok you get a good center, but then we lose out on players like Jabari and Amen cuz I'm sure we would have won a lot more games with a center rotation of Allen and Sengun. Sengun might even be turned into a PF like Mobley and then we'd really win a lot more games similar to Wolves now.

The alternative is Ben Simmons package from Philly so I'm pretty sure Rox won that trade regardless.

13. fattz

fattz Member

Y’all funny.

A 20 year old kid that is starts but is the sixth or seventh option on offense is not that good because his numbers aren’t very high; BUT most give him credit for defense, being fundamentally sound, and always trying.

Wow, just wow.

14. raining threes

Give him a couple of years to naturally gain strength and experience. Jabari s skill level will always make him a 3rd option who plays great defense on a championship level team.

The Rockets gotta find a star level player, which Jalen could be if he would put in the work on his 3 point shot. After 3 years it's looking like Jalen doesn't have the work ethic to become a star level player despite the talent being there.

roslolian likes this.
  15. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Banchero is used VERY DIFFERENTLY by his team. He averages 17.8 attempts per game and 23 pts. NO ONE has more attempts...and Wagner is the only other Magic player with double digit attempts. (14.9 I think). So, on average, 33 attempts every game go to these 2. The third most attempts has 9.3 attempts. Paolo shoots FT at 70 % (Bari 80%), Bari gets a couple more rebounds per game.

I'm not arguing, in any way, that Bari is on par with Banchero. I did argue and do argue that he has more upside. Banchero is at the top of his game. What he is now is what he will be going forward. He is at his ceiling now. Bari is not..not near it IMO.

Despite Banchero being the better player, to have a fair comparison, Bari would need to get 8 more attempts (18 instead of 10) to see if he can score 9 more ppg on average (14 vs. Paolo's 23). He would have to be the #1 go to scoring option like Paolo...which he would have been with the Magic. Again, Wagner is the only other Magic player with double digit attempts (14.9) per game. Paolo is shooting .365 on 3's.

On an average of 10 shots per game, Bari scores 14 pts. per game. The question is could Bari average 9 more pts. per game if he was given 8 more shots per game on average as the featured scorer ? On 3's he's 35.9%....(.6 difference lower than .365 of Paolo). Paolo's 3 pt. % last year was 29.9% and 42.7% overall. This year he is 46.5% overall. Less rebounds (6.9 vs. 8.4).

Comparing apples vs.apples matters. No doubt Banchero is the better player....but, a big picture look at the numbers during a slow time.

roslolian and MadMax like this.
  16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I agree mostly with the people defending Smith here. He is still CRAZY young.

The worst problem is still that we do not utilize him well on offense. Jabari should take 15 shots

Generate….
    1-3 shots off offensive rebounds
    2-3 from 3p in semi transition or bringing the ball up himself (he was very good at this last year)
    2-3 on mid range turnarounds
    1-2 on drives (for development)
    3-5 from 3pt range where he is set up
    2-4 off of pick and roll

this is all doable. We just have to elevate him to 2nd option. Sengun/Smith/FVV should be the hierarchy to finish the year.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Look we don’t get to redraft. ‘Bari is a dog. If it doesn’t work out it won’t be because he wasn’t busting his ass. I can live with falling short. But at least bust ass. Jabari busts ass. It’s very clear to me that Jabari wants to win, and that losing bothers him. I’m great with guys like that.

#137 MadMax, Feb 18, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
    Y2JT, roslolian, Easy and 2 others like this.
  18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Defensively yes….offensively nowhere close. Jalen had 6 games in a row in his second season with 30 or more points. Jabrari I don’t believe has had 6 games his entire NBA career with 30 points or more. He’s just not good offensively. I hope he can jump up to 14 ppg next year but wouldn’t be surprised if he stays in the 12-13 ppg range. The one thing that I love about the guy and have always loved is that he’s tall and that by itself makes him a starter on this pretty short team with a 6’10 unathletic center.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can’t just “give” a guy shots. The problem with Bari right now, is that it is not easy to find him for more shots, because of his underwhelming offensive awareness. His ability to sense a cut or a drive, or a screen or a flare, are things that he really needs to work on If he ever wants to get himself open for more shots.

You can’t just look at his shooting efficiency, and say “Dur, get him more shots, dur…” Defensively, when Jabari is right, he makes his teammates better. Offensively, he is a slow processor. He needs to go to the Steph school of shot creation and find ways to get himself more shots. There is a sleeping beast combo in there between him and Alperen that has not been found yet.

gumbleton3 likes this.