1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video file help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hippieloser, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Ok, so I d/l a file using the ABC bit torrent client of Dave Chappelle's latest Showtime special. For some reason, I can't play this file. Could someone help me figure out why?

The end of the filename is .pdtv-pyro and when a scroll the cursor over it in My Computer it tells me it's an .avi file. I have tried using my DivX player to play this sucker, but no dice. I'm by no means a bit torrent pro and don't download many video files so I suppose it's possible my players are out of date. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

The guys over at easytree.org helped me out with a lot of Bit Torrent issues I have. I'm far from a pro either, and spent the last three days downloading one video concert from a band called Rockpile.

I was looking forward to another three days of dealing with codecs and other video formatting things I don't understand, but luckily it downloaded as an mpeg.

3. Kodinh

Kodinh Contributing Member

If it's an .avi file you can open it withGSpot to identify the codec. The most common ones are DivX and XviD. The next step is simply downloading and installing said codec. Here's the XviD codec in case you need it, grab the latest binary up top.

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Cool, I'll try your suggestion. Thanks!

Edit: hells yeah, it worked! Kwik, you're unsung. Let me know if you ever need any unreleased extreme metal albums and I'll hook ya up.

#4 Hippieloser, Sep 6, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Just change the extension of the file from pdtv.pyro or whatever to the title.avi.

If it still doesn't play, go to http://www.softpedia.com and search for codecs. There should be some software called Codecs All-In-One. Download and install on your PC and it should work.