1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

There is a reason why Scola was not the focus all his career and Alpi is at 20 years old: they are not the same type of player, not in play style, not in talent.

Dobbizzle and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. TheJet

TheJet Member

I'll be honest. I can see it. Sengun is more athletic and a better passer for sure, but the craftiness and creativity on offense is similar. Scola was IMO a well below average athlete but he was able to overcome that. He did more with less athletic gifts. I don't think that's insulting at all.

As for why he wasn't the focal point on the Rockets. That team was Yao, Francis and T-mac.

3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I don't think that's insulting at all, just a terrible comparison. As you said craftiness and creativity to overcome athletic disadvantage is the main resemblance. But technically Sengun is much superior, has more tools to use, and will probably a much better athlete than scola when he finishes his development. He is statistically much better for those reasons. Scola scored less efficiently, did not have the passing, couldn't get to the line a lot, did not draw many double teams.

And we are comparing prime Scola with 21 year old sengun, who is now much closer to Sabonis level than Scola level. I wouldn't call them the same player. The similarity ends how people rate them as unathletic crafty players. They are both better than the initial look but they are far from being in the same level of talent, skillset and impact.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I understand probability and still under 10 billion timelines, Sengun willl not be better than Hakeem.

He was the most complete big man of all time imo. I would take his peak as the absolute highest peak all time on an individual level.

Sengun does not and will not have the agility, athleticism and instincts to sniff dreams defense. Under any amount of timelines going forward.

Maybe he can become close on offense, maybe better and more well rounded offensively overall.

But never, and i mean NEVER, will he ever display dreams brilliance on the defensive end.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Scola is a Hall of Fame player - don't look at Scola NBA - he was NEVER the GUY, because he was playing with Yao, look at Scola in Argentina - dropping 42 points against the USA etc.....the focal point......

This is not a negative - Scola is one of my favorite all time players - his cleverness with the ball, his ability to finish up to 20 feet and his intelligence on the court was magnificent....

Now, Alpi may become even better than Luis, that would be awesome - he just reminds me of Scola in so many ways.

DD

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, he had Yao Ming on his team in his prime....if Alpi had Yao on this team he would be in the same role as Scola.

I am comparing Argentina Scola to Alpi - the guy who led their team.

DD

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gun'na reach 600 by the all-star break. congrats to Gunatics everywhere!

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

But Scola wouldn't be able to assume that role on an nba team. That's the whole point. That's why he is getting the role behind yao,. He needs to go to a lower level of competition to achieve that. Sengun will be able to do that on nba level. If sengun was in the same team as yao, he would go to another team.

9. plegus

plegus Member

I think we lost the nuance.

clos4life likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lol no

just because you keep repeating a complete falsehood doesn't remotely make it true

just like the kpj nonsense

cml750, clos4life and Dobbizzle like this.
  11. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I love Sengun but they way they have insulted every historic Rocket on this thread is all time Delulu.

Funny thing is we would all be in a great position if Sengun had 80% of Scola's career. You can open google in addition to basketball reference before looking bad in public. Context is everything if you are going to lead a discussion with numbers.

Also, talking about real basketball and not hypotetical, what has been going with our guy the last few games?

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

reported.

13. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

That I will agree :)

Yes, but it is the total impact that eventually counts.Like Jokic offensive game is more impactful to winning than Hakeem's offensive game. Oh no, I broke the rule again. Just kidding. There is a possibility that Sengun's offensive game will be more impactful as well. Let's just hope that it happens.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I remember Scola having good post footwork and doing a lot of scoops, but has he ever done a baby hook or hook or even fadeaways? That said, if Sengun could hit the middy like Scola could, I would be ecstatic!

AlperenSengun likes this.
  15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Considering Jokic had like 1% of the Dreams impact on D, I would hope he makes up for it a little be somewhere.

clos4life likes this.
  16. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Sorry for not mentioning that and leaving a possibility of jokic being the overall player. Should have been more careful and precise.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun played almost always below the rim (fewer dunks in his entire NBA career than Sengun has had this season so far), and he didn't have anywhere near the passing skills of Sengun.

HardenReturns likes this.
  18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Can Sengun really be our best player even with his limited height and strength? I wish Sengun was at least 7 feet tall, sigh.

19. maypk

maypk Member

I can't decide which comp is more hilarious, Alp-Hakeem or Alp-Scola.

You guys either have no idea who you're talking about or you have no idea about basketball.

fryjol7, Dobbizzle and plegus like this.
  20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The common thing to both comparisons is they are made by Sengun haters (except for dd who is most vocal about this). Naturally they are both hilarious.

clos4life likes this.