1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 23-24 Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

The NBA trade deadline has been pretty boring around here since Morey took his talents to South Street

2. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Fair enough, I still see a lot of value on long term planning for Jabari having spot minutes at the 5. Having that level of shooting from that position unlocks a lot for our guards.
    Not a diss on our centers, more of a preference of style, would like a backup who could open the paint a bit more for our 3 scoring threats from the perimeter, Jalen/Amen and Cam

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much this.

At the end of the day, you have an asset (Tate) with declining value and you had a chance (reportedly) to get SOMETHING for it.

I really don't think Tate's value will improve from here on. This was his value, some playoff team looking desperately for any kind of depth in the middle of the season. I doubt he's worth more than even a single 2nd round pick come this offeason I mean he has a team option who knows if the Rockets even exercise that in which case they just flushed 2nd round picks down the toilet.

OremLK and YOLO like this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Nets pick is highly valuable and I'm sure a package of Green and Tate could have landed a bench big.

They opted to give up on the season

a time to chill likes this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All things considered, standing pat is okay by me.

Picking up Adams without giving up a 1st is a sly move.Though we have to wait until next year, Aquaman gives us rebounding, and interior D. A great assist man,who sets CRUSHING picks. He's a mentor and enforcer. (Again, he put up 11 & 14 over the last 15 games before going down) Right now, an extremely underrated move...

I could have seen Murray working both at the 1 & 2...well. Brogdon might not have cost quite so much, but still, neither the kind of commitment we want to make here.

Jalen's obviously been coming around lately, so it behooves us to move forward with him for now. I'm glad we didn't move on Bridges.

Speaking of BKN, interesting to see them attempting to tread water...to FA or whatever. That IS their way. Patience with those picks, as they are gold, one way or another...I'm assuming some will be attached to FVV & his massive contract in the offseason. (thinking Tate goes in this deal) I had thought it would be at next year's deadline, but we're going to get a nice long look at Amen here. This could very well be done Wally Pipp style.

I'm guessing we witness huge organic growth in the second half, as these guys mature physically and otherwise against our easy remaining schedule. We might be short a back up 5 for awhile. (they'll likelycover that this year by picking someone up)
    And, some more ballhandling would be nice...again...not investing much this year...letting Amen get on the job experience.

We might be sacrificing a few W's (still think we finish around .500) to development and flexibility, but it should be worth it in the long run.

BigMaloe, glynch, IndoRockets and 4 others like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Another lottery pick bust

BigggReddd likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

PJ thinks he's still the same guy he was five years ago, rather than someone who will be 39 in a few months who has the wear and tear of 18 NBA seasons working against him (not to mention 5 pro seasons elsewhere). It was smart of him to decide to hang onto that guaranteed $11.5M player option next year, rather than get a buy out and hope some team views him the same way he views himself. That's a lot of sneaker money he would have missed out on.

Hank McDowell and vince like this.
  10. raining threes

I would pickup Joseph

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Maybe they just have another plan. Maybe they value their guys more than what they were offered.

If this team was on the cusp of being a contender I may be upset. If I found out they were offered a great deal and refused because they value someone too much, I’d be upset.

If I’m the Rockets, I’m not making a deal for the sake of making a deal. I’m probably not making a deal that doesn’t pay dividends this year and into the future.

We all just experienced an absolutely awful couple of years. Things are finally looking up, so I’m not upset with the things I do know.

BigMaloe, xaos, Corrosion and 3 others like this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Probably should just go get Biyombo since nothing else materialized and other buyout guys probably are only interested in playing for contenders

Bismack isn't good, but he's better than Landale and can platoon with Uncle Jeff to get some minutes.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

We need Dmo!

lnchan likes this.
  14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

We can get Motiejunas from Monaco... how would @DaDakota feel about that?

B-Bob likes this.
  15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Here me out... Royce White.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  16. prs325

prs325 Member

On home games only

17. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I'm sure you are right. I'm also sure that Stone wants to keep Tate's contract in case he needs to use it as cap ballast while trading for an all-star. I too have zero problems with Tate being on this roster. But...

You cannot give Tate any minutes that could otherwise be taken by Jalen, Amen, Tari, Bari, Brooks, or Cam. Don't give me any of this "coach on the court" BS - we already got Fred, Dillon, and Jeff Green for that. We need "talent on the court" and have an immediate, pressing need to develop a huge collection of young players. If Ime needs another coach on the court at the expense of developing the young guys then maybe the lack of coaching starts with him.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dejounte Murray will be available again this summer. I think Jalen should get the rest of the season to show consistency and improvement. If he can’t show both, I’d go the Murray route. His contract is bearable and won’t be a hindrance when it’s time to extend others. His ceiling isn’t what Jalen’s is, but I’d be willing to sacrifice that for some stability.

Downtown Sniper, Aruba77 and Plowman like this.
  19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Never understood why he was ever considered a lottery talent.

20. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Furkan & Biyombo?... going to the Dollar Tree for players... lol