1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whitmore is averaging 5.3 fast break point every 75 possesion.Only Lebron and Giannis averages more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mac_got_this, Feb 8, 2024.

1. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

That’s prettt elite company and we all know what type of one man wrecking ball Gianni’s and Lebron are in transition. But I bring this us for a reason more than to big up Cam. Jalen’s nd a sengun said we need to play faster. I don’t think we can, effectively. Theyre right but our team has low iq ball skills. We suck at transition. I blame the coaching staff mostly because they need to have the team practice it. Fast breaks aren’t jsut will and want. They’re about execution. First of all you have to be able to actually grab the rebound and then properly getting out intention is an issue took our guys can’t make the pass but also they don’t even space out properly in transition to make the pass easier. Jalen hit it in the nail when he said we have athletes that are athletic and fast. But we need some higher iq players to go with that to capitalize on it. All of our sf’s(typically the do it all glue position) are low iq guys. I don’t trust Dillon, Tate, or Tari to make the right decision in transition when it comes to make the pass. I’ve seen them turn it over too often with the ball in transition, you can throw Jabari in that conversation also. He did it against Indiana when we had momentum and he got out transition and threw the ball low to sengun for a turnover and 5 point swing.

We need an Iggy or Gordon Hayward k. Thai team. We need a glue guy

I wouldn’t be mad if we got Gordon Hayward today. I think he can bring tk the table what Olynic did for us a couple of years ago when we traded for him.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think amen’s rebounding and transition fills the void. We will be fine in transition when he is in the game.

Nook, Williamson and Ancient Moabite like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How many times have you seen the youngsters bolt to the other side only to have to stop short at the 3pt line and wait for Sengun to get into position while Fred walks it up? Its understood that Sengun PNR is the best ppp play we have, but what happens when defenses key on that? The importance lies in being able to morph between play styles. Adopting one singular ability will make you predictable and easy to defend. We should lead the NBA in fast break points as a team. We should lead the nba in alley oops and backdoor cuts. Playing Paw Paw ball with the roster we have is counterintuitive.

RichieBanks223, Mathloom, Bo6 and 5 others like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

reported.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Absolutely agree.

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

If Fred sees you running he’ll try to get you the ball in transition. Jalen needs to push the pace more and get up the court more often like Cam and Tari does. I agree we need to be more flexible in how we play and less predictable .

But also we need to be a better rebounder team. I think we’ll take off next year in fast breaks if Adams can play for us like he did in OKC and Memphis

rfrocket and Verbal Christ like this.
  7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

De-ported

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

This is a jumbled mess of logic.

Team pre Ime: Athletic but very poorly coached. Fairly low BB IQ besides Sengun

Team with Ime: Similar foundations to prior team plus two higher-IQ veterans + 2 prominent rookies.

Current season: marked improvement in overall team play but still has big struggles with consistency - this is somehow Ime's fault despite limited time and small number veterans and high IQ players.

Your solution: one more high IQ glue guy... as if that'll fix all the low IQ problems immediately.

----------------------

I think people need to step back and see the long game that Ime is playing. He's preaching fundamentals. Learn how to reliably score in a half court offense (the most common situation in the playoffs). Learn rotations, team defense etc... Do the fundamentals consistently....make the right pass, make the right cut, make the right defensive transition --> become higher IQ

Learn how to play the correct way while playing slow..... then gradually take off the handcuffs when he knows people will make the right decisions when they play fast.

It's absolutely a "learn to play slow before you get to play fast" scenario. It's not mismanaging his talent (mostly untrained athletes). It's training them up to accomplish more later.

If Ime loosens up the reigns greatly now, it's not gonna much more successful than the Silas teams. They're not disciplined enough yet.

RichieBanks223, Zen Tabak and Plowman like this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

If that was the case he wouldn’t be trying to trad away pieces if the young core for vet prices of he’s trying to instill fundamentals. They won’t learn from jsut watching from the bench.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cam rim runs lots of our guys run to the corner.

DD

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

how many of these random numbers metrics are there? i wonder who the youngest player is who averaged 12 points with at least 4 assists in the first 7 games post allstar break.

ramotadab and glynch like this.
  12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

A lot of his numbers have to be extrapolate because Ime doesn’t play him more. The most interested is he’s shooting nearly 50% on catch and shoot threes but the volume(70 attempts) isn’t large enough to really examine

Jontro and peleincubus like this.
  13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Doesn't Cam know that instead of running and creating the fast break yourself, you're supposed to complain in post game interviews that other people aren't doing it enough for you? He's doing it all wrong.

14. Ancient Moabite

Cam is Barkley on the break, a SF version with power & freak athletic ability with the knack of getting buckets like Vinny J/Melo

When Cam has the pill its a 95% chance he is letting it fly, which right now is what the bench needs the most (along with a backup big)

Rumble young Cam....rumble

ramotadab likes this.
  15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is this actually something that happens? Serious question, I guess I'll have to pay closer attention, because I haven't seen it at all. What I do see is nobody running down the court at all because they know Fred wants to walk it up. As soon as we have Amen and Jalen in with Fred on the bench everybody suddenly wants to run, which is expected.

16. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

This!!!

I don't know how many times over the past 1yr+ that I've seen Jalen get out on the break and get even with his defender just over half court.
    With JG it's just like R.Moss in football (if he's even he's leavin')
    But instead of continuing to run hard at the rim, put his hands up and DEMAND the lob instead he just slows down and shrinks back outside the 3 point line.

Jalen needs to be/should have been more forceful!

Mathloom, mac_got_this and ramotadab like this.
  17. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

It’s like he’s unaware of his own ability and athletic advantages.

19. lpbman

lpbman Member

FVV flirting with 8 second violations without any pressure on the ball, drives me nuts. Not sure why I'm throwing this up in a Cam Whitmore thread though.

PatBev likes this.
  20. IVFL

IVFL Member

Totally agree, I was discussing this on Twitter and got a whole bunch of pushback from some people. I wont mention Roosh's name because I am classy and would never do that. I did receive a ban from that person when I pushed back on them.

Just 2 more easy baskets for us a game could be the catalyst to winning several more games this year. You have to find the balance and maximize ALL of our strengths. Even if that means it will make your "favorite player" not the focus sometimes.

Mathloom likes this.