1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He makes 1.3 threes per 36, the filter I set while searching through players this season was > 1.5.

Volume is extremely important to consider when judging a players 3-point shooting ability, most competent shooters make 2.0 per game or more per 36. A low volume usually reflects a slow-release and inability to shoot contested shots, amongst other things.

Deni is interesting if he can up his volume and maintain a high percentage, but on average for his career he's only a 32% 3-PT shooter

ramotadab likes this.
  2. R=$

R=$ Member

ramotadab and lionaire like this.
  3. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

#1. Jalen Green + Holiday + Nets 24'FRP for Dejounte Murray

#2. J.Tate + 2x SRP (24'OKC + 26' via OKC/DAL/PHI) for Patrick Williams

#3. Landale +2x SRP (25'OKC + 26' via LAC/BOS/IND/MIA) for Kelly Olynyk

sign a back-up point guard in the buy-out market (Lowry or Delon Wright)

Sengun, K.Olynyk, Adam
    J.Smith jr, P.Williams, Je.Green
    D.Brooks, T.Eason
    D.Murray, Whitmore, Bullock
    VanVleet, A.Thompson, D.Wright

DrNuegebauer and ramotadab like this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

In what way?

Could you not say for some reason? Is it because you are worried your reasons might be criticized?

Honestly, i suspect the bulls would say no. They don't need Jalen with Ayo and Coby... Lavine isn't going anywhere with his deal...

ramotadab likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes, his volume is low--but he does take significantly more three pointers than Sengun does, for example. He only just turned 23, in any case. The upside is appealing, and I'm still thinking more about adding onto our young core than anything else. We've got six guys right now, it would be great to have 7 or 8 who can potentially be part of the long-term picture.

anthony59237 likes this.
  6. conquistador#11

In 16 minutes it will be Deadline day!

Aruba77 likes this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This is such a weird trade deadline. The rockets are in a weird place. We got so excited in the first third of the season when we were winning and then injuries struck and roster vulnerabilities were even more exposed. And even though we are just a few games below 500 it feels like there isn’t any urgency from the front office to compete this year.

I get that we don’t want to give up major assets just to make a run at a play in, but can we please make a few moves on the margins to shore up major gaps for the 2nd half this season, like getting a decent defensive backup center?

I’d also be excited about making bigger moves, like trading Jalen for Bridges or even Dejonte Murray. How good would a Murray/Fred/Amen backcourt be? Fred probably won’t be here after next season anyway. Converting Jalen’s volitile value into a really good player on a good contract that is in their early prime and can still be moved in the future for a big return makes a lot of sense to me; especially with the need to increase Cam and Amen’s playing time.

but the reality is that we have a below average front office who has fumbled away between 7-10 2nd round picks with virtually nothing to show for it. They also tend not to sell high, and are hopelessly reactive; not proactive.

I don’t see how Tate should be on the roster after this deadline given that Tari is coming back. If Stone can’t convert Tate into a couple 2nd rounders or a rotational player at a position of need, it’s just more evidence that the org is not being well served by this GM.

#1527 Aruba77, Feb 8, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It just doesn't make sense because at some point people will step back and say it's crazy to make 2-3 trades (including maybe picks and prospects) to add non-superstars to a team that is shattering expectations with 6 young players in the rotation. The big picture will prevail.

Maybe you're not grasping how rare it is to have a core of 6 players under 22 and 4-5 of them are majorly contributing to winning basketball games. This is not a normal situation, we are exceptionally lucky with it. This has implications and rewards. We have a higher ceiling for in-season improvement because young players improve more rapidly. We are just 49 games into this roster and coaching staff existing, so we are just now starting to enjoy the benefits of chemistry. All of them are trending upward (except Sengun who is already performing at an excellent level). We've never been healthy AND had Cam shooting well AND had Jalen scoring slightly more efficiently AND Amen can handle backup minutes.

We haven't seen the best from this group. It's just 49 games. Think about it for a second and try to separate your thoughts from the last 2 seasons which has nothing to do with how patient we should be now. It's only been 49 games with Udoka, whole staff, Cam, Amen, FVV, Brooks, Green, Landale, Holiday, Bullock. It's only been 49 games of repetition on this defense.

It's not the right time to rock the boat. The team's overall grade is an A, it would be disingenuous to grade them any less. It is, however, the right time to expect more from the team and coaching staff. I think if they just get us any kind of backup C for this season, this roster as constructed will win more games in the second half than the first half.

BigMaloe, kspires999 and MadMax94$ like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

dude this team is a lotto team without Fred. I’m certainly excited about our young prospects but we can’t keep them all and still field a competitive team. If the last 3 yrs has taught us anything, it’s that you need a balance of vets and prospects to rebuild the right way. Our front office should still be actively trying to improve this team. There are plenty of hole to fill. One can be patient and keep the future in mind while also making smart moves. It’s not an either or. And the only prospect I’d be interested in moving is Jalen because I don’t think hoping for Jalen to become a good player is much of a winning strategy. Focusing on developing 5 prospects instead of 6 and adding more veteran stability isn’t rocking the boat. It doesn’t put our future in jeopardy, but it will impact winning.

#1529 Aruba77, Feb 8, 2024
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A lotto group without Alperen.....

They are probably still having a lob threat......

11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Derozen is too old and we would be looking for a superstar in any Jalen Green deal. People sleep way too much on Jalen Green and forget he is only young. Patrick Williams isn't that good. People have no patience here. We don't want to just make the 7-8 seed, we are building to contend in a few years. Drummond would be nice though as a backup.

anthony59237 likes this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don't have much faith in Stone. I like some of what he's done and hate some of it. Having said that, he has to address the Landale mistake today. This team can't continue to ask Jeff Green and Jaesean Tate to guard 7 footers. At this point, it's just negligence if they don't get that cleared up by the end of the day.

And no, the Steven Adams move doesn't count. Not yet!

14. kpdark

kpdark Member

no trades still..or better not to expect...?
    [​IMG]

#1534 kpdark, Feb 8, 2024
    TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's so weird to say because this team actually has Fred so who cares what we are without him? We're 23-26 (on the way to 36+ wins) and we were predicted to struggle to break 30. We're developing the kids just fine. We're winning more than we expected. You are ignoring the results of this season when making your choices. Adding 2 veterans to the rotation mid season in exchange for picks or rotation players is not a small change.

Making 2-3 trades right now and bringing in players who are going to take opportunities away from Amen/Cam's perfect development is 100% rocking the boat.

One can make smart short term moves and lose in the long run. In all honesty, you just can't see how improvement happens, so you think there's a chance we are locked into a sub .500 team. I don't blame you for wanting to fidget with our assets.

16. SamsonCorletwo

Jock+Tate+24 net pick for PJ Washington

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Trading a pick currently projected at #8 for PJ Washington would be insane

18. SamsonCorletwo

I still consider this,maybe Tate for late first pick is better

19. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

Absofreakinlutely...Wow! Just go get a backup Center !

#1539 AuburnRocket, Feb 8, 2024
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tate is overrated here, I think he goes for 2 Second rounders.......he is decent but he himself was undrafted.

theDude likes this.