1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka not happy with Rockets selfish play, inability to make extra pass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 4, 2024.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

We went from a bottom 3 team to a bottom 10 after spending nearly 80mil/year in free agency.

Stone is just a bad GM. If we didn't luck into Sengun (who I need to remind this front office didn't even believe in dating as far as the past off-season), we'd be looking at another bottom 5 ranking again this season.

Truth is we need major trades this deadline or off-season if we want to make strides next season.

Jalen and Jabari should not be untouchable unless you want to relegate them to the bench as future role players. Tate and Jock should be long gone and replaced with proper shooters.

albuster and jim1961 like this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree on time being needed. On backup big, that doesn't help unless he can play with Sengun. Rockets got killed last night with Sengun on the court. I think Adams will help next year, but hard to win when Rockets lose Sengun minutes by 14 points.

In other words, the games that the Rockets get killed with Sengun off the court that a bigger backup big would help, the Rockets get killed on with him on the court by enough that they would still usually lose anyway. I think development, additional strength, and health will possibly make Smith and Tari the answers long term. Maybe not.

#42 Joe Joe, Feb 5, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jock should not even be mentioned, dude is like the bottom of the bottom, sucks for the Aussie fans.

Nook and jim1961 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Alpe has to go to a higher gear, Jabari has to play like he is averaging 17 and 10......etc.....

Everyone has to improve and then we can hopefully trade for players that are better than Steven Adams.

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

We are really lazer focused on the young players but over 75 million dollars last night went a combined 6-18 for 18 points with 5 rebounds, 4 assists,and 3 TOS.

Fred got played off the court and was -27 by himself. Amen needs to really start eating into his minutes, in my opinion.

Nook likes this.
  6. corrado

corrado Member

These are strange comparisons. He was supposed to be the next KD, how does he stack up against his second season? Or the guys many though would be drafter after him in Paolo and Chet?

7. MystikArkitect

Game literally ended at this moment.

HardenReturns likes this.
  8. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are one of the few remaining levelheaded posters on this forum and we tend to view the game the same 90% of the time.

Mathloom likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GARM is a little wound up this morning for sure

Nook, 34to11 and glimmertwins like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ime, design a better offense, get the players moving, you know, do you job.

DD

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DD has spoken.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I mean - it is what it is. FVV and Brooks are showing us all the lowlights of why people thought their play didn't merit how much money we gave them - this is really regression to the mean. I think the benefits those guys bring in terms of leadership and accountability are paying off, but as the new guys are starting to "get it" and play to their potential, it's exposing how ineffective Brooks and FVV can be.

I think this is a "put up or shut up" moment for the young guys - you want that starting job, you gotta do better than FVV night in and night out and that means making mostly mistake free basketball while hitting more shots than him. Same with Brooks - play similar swarming defense while hitting more shots/making better decision, and the role is yours to keep. We got the guys who can do it - but they gotta dig inward to play more intelligently and that's the lesson these guys have to learn this year. Amen, Cam, Jabari, Jalen, Eason(if we ever see him again) and even Sengun - they all got a lot of work ahead of them but I think this season has exposed the gulf between them and what it takes to be even a washed up borderline all star and THAT is the lesson of the year for every young guy on this team.

This TOO is part of the "the process" of paving the way for the future stars of this team.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

In the end, it usually comes down to play harder clap clap clap.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yay our own Milk Hair.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Their honeymoon phase with Ime Udoka was phenomenal though in the beginning.

glimmertwins likes this.
  16. a time to chill

I don't blame Ime. I blame the players. He can't go out there and hit a wide-open 3 or make a layup/free-throw for them. This isn't the EuroLeague where coaches have more time to install different offensive strategies. The rigors of an NBA schedule limit what you can practice and install on a game-by-game basis.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...not to get too nerdy, but in Tuckman's stages of group development, this is the "Adjourning" stage where the team reached a level of "performing" but now the team is going through another change where they are revamping the minutes distribution again and are looking to unlock new "levels" by putting people in new roles internally. You are seeing this with Cam and Amen's minutes rising, you are seeing this with the likelihood Tate is gone by the trade deadline(and maybe others) - we are moving into a "new normal" post trade deadline and to refer to Tuckman's stages again, it will start with a slight bump of "forming" followed probably by some more storming before the year is out.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mainly because the defensive intensity fell off and Brooks is not the same guy, he is fouling at a much higher rate and more viciously to boot...

Fred is lethargic and does not provide the same spark.

The Offense got better to make up for the lack of consistent Defense.

I am pretty sure they are trying to run with the Pacers and Hawks in those games again......

19. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Getting Eason back and his 10 points a game on hustle alone helps.

But yes I imagine shots that come from passes, especially multiple passes have a higher percentage if only because it's harder to contest.

20. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Stone has his faults, but now you are reaching. Stone has consistently shown he can find good players in the mid to late first round pick.
    By that logic, every GM who found great players later in the draft are lucky. There are no good GMs in this league just lucky ones. I'm not saying luck doesn't play a part in sports, but to credit everything to luck is doing a disservice to a lot of GMs/Scouting staff/Front offices.
    Please answer this ... why did our front office spend 2 future first round picks for the 16th overall pick if they didn't believe in Sengun?

Moe, James Johnson and 34to11 like this.