1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

woah, luca is number 6? I always thought he was utter trash on defense, interesting

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's admittedly a very basic way to rank "hustle" since this guy picks four hustle stats and seems to give them equal weight, and Luca's high ranking seems to mainly be impacted by him picking up loose balls really well.

But you can see that Sengun is no. 16 in shot contests and in the top 30 in charges drawn and deflections.

astrosrule likes this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I'm personally impressed by his defense and it's part of why i view him much higher then i did a year ago when he was horrific. Ultimately, the most important part of defense is preventing rim attempts. When Dwight was at his peak, or Hakeem, their biggest strength was people being afraid to drive at them, thus causing them to settle for mid rangers. I think you can build a competent defense around Sengun, especially if jabari continues to progress.

With luca i always thought he was just super lazy on defense so i'm surprised ANY stat looks at his positively lol

harold bingo likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

In the near future, when Sengun hits Freebies at a 78- 80% clip, he will be even better in those crucial moments

Gergin, cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

6. Gergin

Gergin Member

The Adams trade made me realize (once again) that the enforcer type of bigs are generally older. Adams, Lopez, Horford, JV, Gasol with Raptors and so on.

I think Alpi can be like that one day. He is already pretty strong for a 21 year old big who lost a lot of weight. He has good instincts, high BBIQ and with true grown men strength, it's almost guaranteed that he will be a good defender.

joshuaao, CHAMPBOY and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun implying he doesn't know a lot of things. reported.

tagedieb likes this.
  8. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Yea, really need to get off Alpi’s D.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, Luka tracks balls very well......depends on how people see Defense I guess.....

You can be equally good and bad at things.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Did Naz Reid work with Olajuwon......

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Goon just needs to stop b****ing. If he can channel the amount of effort he puts into whining at the refs towards working on a consistent jumper, he would be unstoppable by now.

tagedieb, clos4life, Easy and 5 others like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Agreed.

clos4life and cml750 like this.
  14. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I was talking about his defense. I replied to a post about his defense and the whole paragraph talks about his defense. I think he is ahead of the young jokic because he is more mobile and he can learn from jokic. Jokic figured out stuff like using his hands, interfering passes with his leg etc. Sengun doesn’t need to rediscover those. Also he is more aware that he has to work on his defense and definitely more motivated to do so. His main disadvantage is being shorter but I think he will make up for that with the things I listed. Jokic really started worrying about his defense the past few years.

and to be clear I am not claiming Sengun will be jokic. It was about how games/defenses of jokic and Sengun gets similarly underrated. But embiid rarely gets those kind of comments.

astrosrule likes this.
  15. Strawberry Gum

I wonder why he stopped using that flamingo shot.

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

That thing was money.

Strawberry Gum and ramotadab like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

18. Gergin

Gergin Member

I just watched the highlights and Alpi doesn't look very well. Red face, bags under the eyes. I agree on the whining. It could be a maturity issue or a character issue. Reminds me a bit of Luka.

Sometimes I feel like he was mentally tougher in his fist two years. Could be the pressure of being the face of an NBA team that makes him nervous. But like in every facet of life, the biggest mistakes happen, when you try to avoid doing mistakes at all costs. We need more action and less hesitation from him. Also use all of the tricks you have in your huge bag. Post moves, spin moves, flamingo, the little fakes. This might also be a coaching decision because Ime made clear that he isn't a fan of flashy passes but Alpi still should do his thing in certain situations. Better to risk a missed shot or a turnover than to be too passive.

19. plegus

plegus Member

He can benefit greatly from having an athlete/sports psychologist.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

From Paul George to JJ Redick .....all those Podcasts were inviting him.....

I think I heard from them that Alperen does not sleep that well.......It was either JJ or someone else talking about a sleeping pill.