1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the rockets see Sengun as the franchise player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by arno_ed, Feb 1, 2024.

?

Do the rockets see Sengun as the franchise player?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    49.3%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They have not won anything real so the celebration should be kept at a small flame.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets are no good showcasers, the truth is a big trade rarely happens here unless someone is pouting and wants out.

It's bonafide for the Play in.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How is a Green a ball stopper?

Green is the type of guy even if he's on fire while Sengun is struggling who will make it a mission to make sure Sengun gets looks to get him going.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe it's the case and not the show. We just need a new case.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Talking about Zwikker what happened to the Dutch compatriot poster, what was his name again.....

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

You gotta adjust as new data comes in.

Jalen is just flat out playing better. Give credit where it's due. There has been no fundamental change to the style the Rockets are playing.

kubli9 likes this.
  7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

In December Fred Averaged 81 touches per game @ 5.1 seconds per touch
    Alp 58 touches @ 2.26
    Jalen 53 @ 4.25

Last 5 Games:

Fred 81 touches @ 4.45
    Alp 64 touches @ 2.34
    Jalen 69 touches @ 4.09

The numbers simply don't bear out what you're claiming.

Alpi has touched the ball more and had it longer.
    Fred is still touching the ball the same amount of times but holding it a little less longer, not by much
    Jalen's touches are up (probably because he's been hot) but he's spending less time per touch with the ball in his hands

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches?LastNGames=5&TeamID=1610612745&dir=D&sort=TOUCHES

Just give him his credit. He's upped his game in his own right. Has nothing to do with him all of a sudden taking the reigns.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

No starting guard is more Offense Or Nothing than Jalen Green. He's only looked like a well rounded player just this past week

9. Wizman

Wizman Member

Until and unless he develops a consistent outside shot (from 3 would be great, but not even a necessity), he should not be seen as a franchise player. I think the defense will continue to improve, although he has a couple bad habits that drive me nuts (sometimes not jumping or even getting bis arms up on opponent jumpers and leaving a guy wide open to go double someone else). Whoever taught him that stupid push shot needs to be immediately fired and replaced with a better shooting coach. I also think that long free throw routine is doing himself a disservice. He needs to get to a point where shooting is muscle memory rather than a 15 second mental process. The fact that he can't just pick up a ball and shoot it with a quick release carries over into his shooting from the field, which is very mechanical and inconsistent. If I were him, I'd get a trainer to eke out whatever increase in stamina and explosiveness he can over the summer as well as reinvent his shooting release, especially making it quicker.

As it stands right now, a defense shading him but also playing back is his kryptonite. Or you surround him with a great shooter to rack up the assists. But if he develops a smooth outside shot it's over for defenders. It's up to him whether he wants to put in the work. An all star snub may be the best thing for him.

Mathloom, HardenReturns and jcmoon like this.
  10. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only change was that the Pelicans forced the FVV/Alpi combo into the spots they are least effective. Jalen stepped up as the Pelicans tried to force him to beat them. He did his job, but it's up to the coach to make adjustments to not let them force the Rockets style of play.

11. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i think its pretty clear that if jalen can keep this up, he will be our franchise player in the near term. He's playing like a superstar.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't know anyone in the front office. Based on their actions before this season, it would have been an obvious no. Obviously, I always believed that, given the opportunity, he would get onto a trajectory that would propel him to franchise player status. Personally, I would argue that he has already shown enough that they should just come out and commit to him like Mike Malone did with Jokic, early in his career:

If JJ Redick were in the Rockets' front office, I believe he would agree:

But he is not. We have a lawyer as our GM who prioritized freaking KPJ over Sengun for two years.

So who the hell knows what they are thinking. I believe @Clutch repeatedly and also recently hinted that they do NOT view him as a franchise player.

We'll see what happens. I just enjoy watching the kid play.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

100% truth. We spent 1-2 years not blowing up a dead contending team then 2 years tanking Hinkie-style. Our players’ development was delayed. We didn’t need anyone to come here and tell us that. We knew that catching up on development would mean a delay in results. We knew it was going to be a mess his first season.

Udoka missing the playoffs is the least of our worries, especially if it’s going to cost a lot to get just an above average player back. Udoka is a coach but he’s no GM, doesn’t have that kind of IQ. He will cash chips in and take a hatchet to our ceiling as a contender.

Our defense has been excellent all season. Our offense is struggling. Udoka needs to finish his job before asking to trade for players that would just put a band aid on this broken offense at the price of years of tanking. We don’t want to tank anymore and we don’t want to end up a contender that’s not good though to win AND out of assets.

Stone must push back unless someone overpays us for our assets. Get a backup C and wait till Tari is back. This team is not finished growing and Udoka can totally get them into the play ins.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is not, he is having 1 bad month, 1 mediocre month, half a mediocre month more and it seems to be 2-3 good months.

The season has been a rocky ride for him.

I think Udoka is milking what Jalen does best though, although I do not want to see any player to be a coach dependent player......

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The only other dutchmen I remember was Ace. Havenstad seen him post in years (that being said I also rarely post anymore).

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was a good pick and roll interaction between you 2 posters, good times indeed.

It would be favorable to have a Dutch player again.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I was thinking that Udoka is a very transparent kind of coach in the locker room so I doubt the players were caught off guard hearing these rumors about him being unhappy and feeling like it’s time to trade players so that he can say he made the playoffs. My guess is he would have spoken to them and told them he’s discussing these things with the front office.

Which leads me to speculate that this is what’s been causing a dip in the team’s effort and defense. This is a young squad that’s learning the business. They were told it’s all about wins and they shattered those expectations. Rightly or wrongly, some of these players will feel like the coach is wrong to be frustrated with his squad rather than happy with his squad. On an individual level, other than Jalen Green, who is not meeting/beating expectations right now? Bari, Tari, Sengun, Cam, Brooks, FVV having great years. Everyone else at least meeting expectations. Everything is going well except for Jalen’s shot selection essentially. Behind Jalen, we have 19 yr old Cam playing like a veteran shooter with some playmaking.

Total speculation on my part but interesting to consider. It’s not about right or wrong. Just kind of acknowledging there are a lot of kids on this roster and these kinds of experiences can be harder for them to confront at this age, especially when they probably felt like things are going so well and the rest of the basketball world is showering them with praise for their development this season.

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Good analysis! And it very well could be true. With the new addition of Steven Adams it could point towards either a true future backup for Sengun or a future pick setter for Jalen.

I think thr next move will dictate which way they are leaning.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Grind it Out will win more in the playoffs and a little more in the regular season.....
    but is more tedious and you basically are thirsting for every single scored point.

The helter skelter one will provide more fun and more blowouts but not necessarily a lot more Wins......

The solution is still acquire Superstar players.....that is the one! Play to their strengths.

This team truly lacks a Superstar in Prime or a Generational Prospect like Wemby that can open up the whole floor......unfortunately....that train has passed.

#79 daywalker02, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  20. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Ball bounces out - "Sengun is terrible, AD bricking cause he injured."

Ball bounces in - "Seems like the Rockets still need a true center."

Round and around, and around we go