1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka after Valanciunas, Pelicans beat Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 31, 2024.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Report: Ime, Rockets Star Hunting for Valenciiunas

2. anchel

anchel Member

He has to improve his team offense, diversify it more.

How many post touches Sengun had? How many 1on1 situations against Jonas or Nance Jr.? On the other side the Pelicans were charging against him with Valanciunas all the game.

Sengun is perfectly capable of doing some damage against him back to the basket, get him in foul trouble, get even better looks for others if the double team appears.

This was our FIRST post-up play with him in the game, with 3:32 remaining in the 3rd quarter. Ended in a dunk. Absolutely unexcusable.

[​IMG]

Sengun is great in the elbow and as a roller, but he's even better posting up and we're not using him there. As the season progresses, we use him less and less there. Honestly, it is a mystery to me. Diversify his use, that's what makes him special.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  3. Umut

Umut Member

I think Udoka is not a good coach, he cannot control the team, Brooks does strange things, Aaron Holiday does not pass to anyone, he always makes the wrong rotation, it is not clear who is the leader of the team, yes he is a better coach than Silas but still average. The big problem is that almost all players have a very low decision-making mechanism, I understand young players, but Brooks and FVV are bad, I understand why no one wants Brooks because he always does nonsense.

4. omgTHEpotential

Welcome to the NBA. If you expect the decision making (especially in the regular season) to be at Euroleague's level, then you're in for a disappointment.

Umut likes this.
  5. Umut

Umut Member

Of course I don't expect it, nice comment by the way, NBA is the players' league, I understand that, but that doesn't mean that the players should do everything, especially in such a young team.

6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I think you're seeing the limitations of a Sengun as a score-first initiator. He can't create hit a consistent shot outside of the paint so it relies on our 3pt shooting as they will obviously double / triple him when he receives the ball near the basket. And what we've seen is that if we have to win by shooting 3's, well we aren't going to win much.

We need to go back to the Senhub where Sengun is the one distributing the rock and then when the play breaks down he can go to work late in the shot clock.

Jeff Green shouldn't see the floor nearly ever. He is cooked right now and I haven't seen him hit a 3 in like 5 games. Play Landale or just go small. Maybe this will be easier when Tari comes back, who is one of our best rebounders.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So now its a problem of half court offense and Jalen Green not fitting in that huh? After Udoka has been coaching him up in how to play organized ball all year the kid is starting to make some strides and the best his "fans" can offer is more BS about how he doesnt fit and should be benched! Amazing.

Here's a thought -- why not overlap some concepts between being a young team that can run other squads off the floor and switching up to half court offense on a dime? We should be able to play both of those styles at once. It shouldnt be Sengun PNR on every single possession because defenses have caught up to that. Posting up more? Sure when the flow permits, but doing so with intent will only create the same problems when Alpy gets trapped. Alperen Sengun has arrived and now as a focal point of defenses he is being limited to his weaknesses by design. Its up to him to offer something outside of the usual and the peripheral players to keep the defense on its heels via transition and higher pace so that the entry passes and overall execution of Sengun as hub can be successful.

I KNOW you hardasses arent going to give Fred a pass right? Udoka and his RIDICULOUS lineups? So hyper focused on Jalen that some of you cant see the forest for the trees.

Rocketeer, Bo6 and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Disagree….we were lifeless for most of the game and you’re wanting to take our best player (rigt now) out if our starting lineup???

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Jeff Green is fantastic for his age, but I agree with you that he’s looking cooked recently. They need to limit his minutes so he can be more effective as he’s almost 40 years old. Hope we acquire a legit big at the all-star break and move Jabrari (or that acquisition) to a sixth man role.

10. MystikArkitect

This team is neither talented enough nor experienced enough for any of Jabari, Sengun and FVV to no show. Yesterday Jabari/Sengun no showed. Absolutely puzzling game that I still can't explain.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jabari Smith has had 3 good games and 9 horrific games since he hurt his ankle. Not 100% sure it was his ankle, but I was half surprised to see him in the second half with how poorly he played.

12. MystikArkitect

His first 3 was so far off I was like.....is this last years Jabari? He had to have something up with him.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm still skeptical that JG has actually turned it around, but if this is the new norm for him then it's up to other players to adjust. For about 3 quarters JG looked like the best player on the court. Eventually, I would guess the goal is to have Amen take over at PG. He's going to push the pace. I think Sengun can play in an up tempo offense as well. I think the only guy who really would prefer a slower pace is Fred.

All that said, I wonder if Cam can log heavy minutes as a 3 because as good as Green was last night and the game before, Cam was still more efficient and looks like he has more two way upside. Cam also had some nice passes last night.

Green actually being good is a great thing for the team though.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is probably Green's best 5-game stretch of his career (previous best was towards end of rookie year, IMO, but that stretch was also longer than 5 games). Not sure if this is legit or not.

On Cam, Rockets need to figure a way to fit him in with starters. He ends up roaming behind three point line and rarely gets the ball. Also, Cam needs to show energy other than scoring consistently. He had 1 combined rebound, block, steal, and assist last night. Smith and Brooks have not looked good lately. If teams are going to continue to swarm Sengun, Cam needs to play with Sengun.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is not a full time PG and I would not do it full time.

In spurts yes, the problem is that Sengün needs his 2 man game as well.

They will figure something out! Cam is an idea to let him play the KJ Martin role but c and shoot more.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying Cam should be the PG. Brooks and Smith are sucking. Maybe not starting, but it seems like Cam and Sengun only play together when the Rockets are behind late (a little exaggeration). Rockets gotta find a way to make threes when Sengun is on the court. Cam is the only high volume, highly efficient 3 point shooter in the Rockets rotation right now (Holiday may be another, but really would rather not go there).

I'd try to get Cam more minutes with Sengun at the expense of Brooks (and Smith until he's healthy, and Green if he goes back to suck mode). It would hurt the defense some, but Rockets really not playing defense right now anyway.

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Blaming a player who played really well for the struggles of players who didn't is so stupid. It's always been stupid. If you can't play well when another player has it going then that's on you. Figure it out. You should never blame the guy who is dominating.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am saying Jalen should also not do the full time game.

Cam and Amen are predestined to play off Sengün I am aware of that.

19. Risingred

Risingred Member

The last five games or so prove one thing, Green can put up monster stats on the boxscore in certain type of offenses. The question are if we have the players to run those type of offenses with him, and if that serves the best interests for the team.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

When he's playing poorly, Green should be played less. Defenses are keying on FVV and Sengun right now. Green and Amen are the only other ballhandlers besides FVV. Considering the Rockets need 3 point shooting, it is hard to play Amen with Sengün too much. If the Rockets were going hard for winning this year, they need someone like Brogdon to play when Green sucks.

I think Cam fits more as the 3 with Sengün as he is just a scorer right now.