1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fred VanVleet will be the worst FA acquisition in Rockets history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You are conflating the different periods in time. What was the alternative during the Unguardable Tour or any years when Hardens next best teammate was either Eric Gordon or Trevor Ariza? Harden as a heliocentric player was as good as this league has ever seen. Hell even today some guys here love the heliocentricity that Sengun brings right? God forbid we bring up Alpys defense!!

Today Harden takes half the amount of shots that he did in his prime. He is a floor general in every sense of the word. He can see over defenses. He can give you spot minutes of mismatched post game. Knockdown catch and shoot player. His defense was always underappreciated and while I would agree that it had to do more with effort than anything else when a guy IS THE SYSTEM on offense you have to apply a little nuance and common sense to the issue(s).

Anybody who was being honest with themselves would agree that James Harden on this squad would be exponentially better for the team in general than Fred Van Vleet. It is what it is. You see cancer I see a mild stomach bug.

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

James Harden is
    James Harden is a self absorbed narcissistic sob - period! I hope he ends up penniless and living under a bridge - like the troll he is.
    It's really a shame people are so concerned about putting a ball in a hoop - that they are willing to not only tolerate - but embrace - straight up shi**y people!

but u do u, bro...

im keepin the hate alive! :)

Ankara1923 likes this.
  3. kjayp

No diff - yer still at the mercy of a narcissist!

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What does that mean though? How is 35 year old NO RING James Harden going to "get his" on a team of 20 year olds? He WANTED to be here.

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why is James Harden a POS? What did he do to you? Dude was constantly raising funds for houston and good causes. Always giving away money to help people. No one has ever accused him of being a bad person/teammate. So what if he likes to party?

Little Bit likes this.
  6. kjayp

dude was/is a great talent... but even prior to opting into his current contract (that he then demanded a trade) dude was talking about the freedom to 'play his way.... blah blah blah...' At least dude has come to realize he's not gonna be the alpha dog on a championship team...

what exactly has CP3 said about Harden being a good teammate? I know WB was b****in about him on his way out (changing practice schedule, late to meetings, etc..) - but obviously he's backtracked for a buck... lol

c'mon, man... i figured at this point he'd thrown enough sh*tfits and launched enough franchises into upheaval with his megalomania that his narcissism was no longer in question...

guess not... smh...

7. StroudAndYorDaddy

didnt harden give away 1 million during hurricane harvey. The media never brings that up

8. kjayp

dude wanted to cash in on a monster max contract - and then pull the ripcord and start enjoying retirement from the bench...
    dude wanted to balloon and relive his glory days in the Houston strip clubs.
    but Stone didnt bite...
    nobody wanted to give James that last fat max contract...
    so james had to work it this year for that last deal...
    lets see who stupid enough to bite this off season....

then its gonna be like watching that last Magic Johnson comeback....lol

9. kjayp

what is that in honey buns?

10. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Uh, no. He would have totally blown up our chemistry and any semblance of learning for the young guys. He would teach them to live the life rather than focus on BB, the WRONG lessons for 19 year olds for sure.

kjayp likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You missed the article that Harden was late to film sessions and skipped some meetings, Morey and him actually started the whole bad culture thing.

He wasn't a dawg as well.

Despite the charity he did and the talent that he was.

kjayp likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Uh, yeah.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yes we will see who is "stupid" at the end of the year most definitely. Personally I don't think we need to wait that long considering we have a younger, more expensive option who is sharing exact impact metrics with the old geezer who doesn't have anything left in the tank. Somehow one is adored and the other not so much! LOL

I think you can thank Udoka more than Stone or Tilman on the Harden thing. I also think Udoka will question that decision before long.

14. kjayp

its like this man... u dont really know someone until you tell them 'no'...

we've seen how Blames Hard-on reacts when he is told no...

i want no piece of it - ever again!

talk to me a year or two into Blames' next contract - i GUARANTEE it will be a negative value contract within a year of it being signed! ;)

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Harden has never hired an agent or PR firm and I really think that hurt his legacy a lot. The way narratives run wild about him are crazy. He is 1000% the player FVV is.

That being said, it's clear as day that the front office thinks FVV is better for the LONG TERM development of our young players. They value Fred as a second coach and role model which I think definitely is valid. Fred isn't going to be at the clubs, which we all know Harden had a proclivity to, and that s valuable for the young impressionable nucleus we have.

I'm happy Harden is with the Clippers because he can contend now without any pressure and the Clippers are balling right now.

Williamson likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So at first it was a cap concern on money, now its a player concern on conduct? I dont think we are watching the same player on LAC, but that may be because of both of our inherent bias' - James is still a viable shooter and scorer from all 3 levels. You assume he would still be the "Unguardable" James here, but he's on record time and time again talking about how he's had to change his game. He would have helped these youngsters much more than FVV in my opinion as he's not limited to PNR passing and 3 point shooting. James vision is superior to Fred. He's getting passes into the hot corners, he's actually connecting on lobs. He can work in the paint. He can switch and contain bigger players in spurts. Inside out with Sengun and James Harden would have been bananas.

Should be fun to kick it around while Fred continues to bank 42+Ms per year as a game manager.

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

None of what you say is facts. Facts are his teammates always love him. Westbrook bounced cuz fertita is a POS

Literally Westbrook is one of his best friends...none of what you say make him a POS. It's all random rumors. But off the court he's a great person always helping out community. He just prefers to stay out of spotlight when it comes to those things.

19. kjayp

Yes, James has come to the realization that he cant simply force his agenda and work his 'brand' at the overall detriment to the team - he's going to have to be a team player at this point if he wants those fat checks... or he can ride year to year min contracts for his declining years (ala Melo). Dude is no fool! Make no mistake, i know Blames is smart af - devious even - lol!
    I'm telling you... once he gets that last fat guaranteed contract secured... dude is gonna rack up the DNPs.

Dude started off cool here... he n lin n Chandler had a fun bunch thing goin... but dude became totally self absorbed... 'cornerstones and roleplayers', not traveling w the team, froze our D12, got CP3 booted, had WB pissed, got Milkhair fired, Khloe, 'those that mind dont matter' defense, quit game against san antonio - only to be rewarded with a super max, etc etc right up to "not good enough..."

FK James Harden!

20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

He missed meeting skipped a few film sessions that hardly makes him a POS. What are y'all even talking about. If being late to meetings or missing some is the only criteria. Every sing person in this world is now a POS.